You don't have to know how the computer works, just how to work the computer.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

SubjectAuthor
* 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeInternetado
`* Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeJohn McCue
 +- Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeCarlos E.R.
 `* Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeEli the Bearded
  `* Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeG
   `* Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeThe Natural Philosopher
    +- Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeRich
    `* Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeCharlie Gibbs
     `- Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All TimeThe Natural Philosopher

1
10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<uu2ioq$5mmc$1@news.alt119.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13022&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13022

From: internet...@alt119.net (Internetado)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:56:40 -0300
 by: Internetado - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 01:56 UTC

In this article, we will review the 10 most used Linux distributions
based on the huge availability of software, ease of installation and
use, and community support on web forums.

https://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/10-most-used-linux-distributions-of-all-time-2/

--
[s]
Internetado.

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<uu412a$3l1r4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13023&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13023

From: jmc...@magnetar.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:06:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:06 UTC

Internetado <internetado@alt119.net> wrote:
> In this article, we will review the 10 most used Linux distributions
> based on the huge availability of software, ease of installation and
> use, and community support on web forums.
>
> https://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/10-most-used-linux-distributions-of-all-time-2/

Interesting but since it is titled "10 Most Used Linux
Distributions of *All Time*", why Zorin or Elementary as
opposed to Slackware.

Nothing against those 2 distros, but in the 90s, in
reality, there were really 2 Linuxes, Slackware and Debian.
In the early days, Linux was Slackware then others started
to get popular in the late 90s.

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<74sgdkxem4.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13024&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13024

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:13:42 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:13 UTC

On 2024-03-28 16:06, John McCue wrote:
> Internetado <internetado@alt119.net> wrote:
>> In this article, we will review the 10 most used Linux distributions
>> based on the huge availability of software, ease of installation and
>> use, and community support on web forums.
>>
>> https://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/10-most-used-linux-distributions-of-all-time-2/
>>

> Interesting but since it is titled "10 Most Used Linux
> Distributions of *All Time*", why Zorin or Elementary as
> opposed to Slackware.
>
> Nothing against those 2 distros, but in the 90s, in
> reality, there were really 2 Linuxes, Slackware and Debian.
> In the early days, Linux was Slackware then others started
> to get popular in the late 90s.

The section on openSUSE is not fully correct. I can't say about the
other sections.

First, it is openSUSE, not OpenSUSE. They spell it 3 times wrong and two
correct.

Then they say that the enterprise version is based on openSUSE. This is
is not fully correct; it derives loosely from the factory version, but
the free stable version, Leap, derives closely from the enterprise
version (binary compatible). Things change over the years, though.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<eli$2403281638@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13025&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13025

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:38:45 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:38 UTC

In comp.os.linux.misc, John McCue <jmclnx@SPAMisBADgmail.com> wrote:
> Nothing against those 2 distros, but in the 90s, in
> reality, there were really 2 Linuxes, Slackware and Debian.
> In the early days, Linux was Slackware then others started
> to get popular in the late 90s.

Debian is only a couple of months younger than Slackware. But earlly
days I remember a lot more Yggdrasil than Debian.

Elijah
------
recalls using Redhat in late nineties

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<l6nhr4F3ddnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13026&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13026

From: g...@nowhere.invalid (G)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 29 Mar 2024 10:01:08 GMT
Sender: Gip <gip@G15.fritz.box>
 by: G - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:01 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc, John McCue <jmclnx@SPAMisBADgmail.com> wrote:
>> Nothing against those 2 distros, but in the 90s, in
>> reality, there were really 2 Linuxes, Slackware and Debian.
>> In the early days, Linux was Slackware then others started
>> to get popular in the late 90s.
>
> Debian is only a couple of months younger than Slackware. But earlly
> days I remember a lot more Yggdrasil than Debian.

Oh boy, Yggdrasil! That brings me back, my first Linux installation from
around 20 floppy on a Compaq with a massive (Massive! I say) 10MB HD.

> Elijah
> ------
> recalls using Redhat in late nineties

And that was my second... I actually bought the box.

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<uu66ht$83pi$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13027&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13027

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:52:45 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:52 UTC

On 29/03/2024 10:01, G wrote:
> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.misc, John McCue <jmclnx@SPAMisBADgmail.com> wrote:
>>> Nothing against those 2 distros, but in the 90s, in
>>> reality, there were really 2 Linuxes, Slackware and Debian.
>>> In the early days, Linux was Slackware then others started
>>> to get popular in the late 90s.
>>
>> Debian is only a couple of months younger than Slackware. But earlly
>> days I remember a lot more Yggdrasil than Debian.
>>
> Oh boy, Yggdrasil! That brings me back, my first Linux installation from
> around 20 floppy on a Compaq with a massive (Massive! I say) 10MB HD.
>
>> Elijah
>> ------
>> recalls using Redhat in late nineties
>
> And that was my second... I actually bought the box.

Only two versions I knew back in the day were Debian and Red Hat, a
friend had SUSE.

When the time came I tried out everything and Debian worked OK, but was
lacking in desktop frills, so I tried Ubuntu, but for whatever reason
the installation failed, so I tried mint Mate.

And have never seen any reason to try anything else.

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<uu6uss$e471$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13028&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13028

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:48:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:48 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 29/03/2024 10:01, G wrote:
>>>
>>> Debian is only a couple of months younger than Slackware. But
>>> earlly days I remember a lot more Yggdrasil than Debian.
>>>
>> Oh boy, Yggdrasil! That brings me back, my first Linux installation
>> from around 20 floppy on a Compaq with a massive (Massive! I say)
>> 10MB HD.
>>
>>> Elijah
>>> ------
>>> recalls using Redhat in late nineties
>>
>> And that was my second... I actually bought the box.
>
> Only two versions I knew back in the day were Debian and Red Hat, a
> friend had SUSE.
>
> When the time came I tried out everything and Debian worked OK, but
> was lacking in desktop frills, so I tried Ubuntu, but for whatever
> reason the installation failed, so I tried mint Mate.
>
> And have never seen any reason to try anything else.

Began with SLS [1], installed Slackware when it first appeared as an
"improved" SLS, still using Slackware (now V15) today.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<dzXNN.758339$p%Mb.22501@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13032&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13032

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:00:57 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:00 UTC

On 2024-03-29, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 29/03/2024 10:01, G wrote:

>>> Debian is only a couple of months younger than Slackware. But earlly
>>> days I remember a lot more Yggdrasil than Debian.
>>>
>> Oh boy, Yggdrasil! That brings me back, my first Linux installation from
>> around 20 floppy on a Compaq with a massive (Massive! I say) 10MB HD.
>>
>>> Elijah
>>> ------
>>> recalls using Redhat in late nineties
>>
>> And that was my second... I actually bought the box.
>
> Only two versions I knew back in the day were Debian and Red Hat, a
> friend had SUSE.
>
> When the time came I tried out everything and Debian worked OK, but was
> lacking in desktop frills, so I tried Ubuntu, but for whatever reason
> the installation failed, so I tried mint Mate.
>
> And have never seen any reason to try anything else.

The first Linux I ran was Slackware, for a simple pragmatic reason:
I looked at the Linux books in the local bookstore, and the book I
liked best was by Patrick Volkerding and came with a Slackware 3.5
CD. I stayed with Slackware for some time, but eventually got tired
of chasing dependencies when installing or updating software. Maybe
it had a package manager, but I didn't know about it. At that point
I tried a number of other distributions on my laptop, leaving my
main machine alone until I made a decision. I stayed with CrunchBang
(with BlackBox) for a while (lean and mean), then tried Mint, which
was OK but had nothing that really excited me. Mageia didn't last
long; KDE was beautiful but heavyweight, and I kept getting console
messages from strange processes I had never asked for and didn't want.
Ubuntu was pretty and easy to use, but release 10 went to the Unity
desktop, which I didn't like. Eventually I settled on Debian (with
Xfce) and have been happily there ever since.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | The Internet is like a big city:
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | it has plenty of bright lights and

Re: 10 Most Used Linux Distributions of All Time

<uu9l95$1532r$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13033&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13033

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:22:29 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:22 UTC

On 30/03/2024 17:00, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On 2024-03-29, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Oh boy, Yggdrasil! That brings me back, my first Linux installation from
>>> around 20 floppy on a Compaq with a massive (Massive! I say) 10MB HD.

>>> And that was my second... I actually bought the box.
>>
>> Only two versions I knew back in the day were Debian and Red Hat, a
>> friend had SUSE.
>>
>> When the time came I tried out everything and Debian worked OK, but was
>> lacking in desktop frills, so I tried Ubuntu, but for whatever reason
>> the installation failed, so I tried mint Mate.
>>
>> And have never seen any reason to try anything else.
>
> The first Linux I ran was Slackware, for a simple pragmatic reason:
> I looked at the Linux books in the local bookstore, and the book I
> liked best was by Patrick Volkerding and came with a Slackware 3.5
> CD. I stayed with Slackware for some time, but eventually got tired
> of chasing dependencies when installing or updating software. Maybe
> it had a package manager, but I didn't know about it. At that point
> I tried a number of other distributions on my laptop, leaving my
> main machine alone until I made a decision. I stayed with CrunchBang
> (with BlackBox) for a while (lean and mean), then tried Mint, which
> was OK but had nothing that really excited me. Mageia didn't last
> long; KDE was beautiful but heavyweight, and I kept getting console
> messages from strange processes I had never asked for and didn't want.
> Ubuntu was pretty and easy to use, but release 10 went to the Unity
> desktop, which I didn't like. Eventually I settled on Debian (with
> Xfce) and have been happily there ever since.

I was watching a lot of video and listening to auidio as well and Mint
came with all the right codecs installed

That was key to my staying with it
Debian +xfce is a neat choice if you don't want to run videos etc.

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.