From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Good news from the EU
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:06:28 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:06 UTC

Not strictly gaming related but anyway, the EU have got their arse in
gear and although they've not gone as far a some people hoped by 2027
all phones, tablets, laptops etc. will be required to have a battery
that can be replaced by a layman with basic tools.

That to me is good news although Steve Jobs is probably turning in his
grave!

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubkred$3o30k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13049&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13049

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Good news from the EU
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 12:06:04 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:06 UTC

Am 17.08.23 um 11:06 schrieb JAB:
> Not strictly gaming related but anyway, the EU have got their arse in
> gear and although they've not gone as far a some people hoped by 2027
> all phones, tablets, laptops etc. will be required to have a battery
> that can be replaced by a layman with basic tools.
>
> That to me is good news although Steve Jobs is probably turning in his
> grave!

Sorry to say that, but phones atm are not included in the list, but most
portable devices are, which is indeed good news!
Other regions usually will follow, like for instance the EU was first to
enforce USB-C as universal plug by law!

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubl0fh$3onln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13055&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13055

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 12:32:01 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 11:32 UTC

On 17/08/2023 11:06, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 17.08.23 um 11:06 schrieb JAB:
>> Not strictly gaming related but anyway, the EU have got their arse in
>> gear and although they've not gone as far a some people hoped by 2027
>> all phones, tablets, laptops etc. will be required to have a battery
>> that can be replaced by a layman with basic tools.
>>
>> That to me is good news although Steve Jobs is probably turning in his
>> grave!
>>
> Sorry to say that, but phones atm are not included in the list, but most
> portable devices are, which is indeed good news!
> Other regions usually will follow, like for instance the EU was first to
> enforce USB-C as universal plug by law!

Have you got a link/source for that as everything I've read so far says
they are. And just to make it clear, this is the internet after all
where we have no tone of voice to convey actual meaning, I'm not saying
you're wrong!

As for the second part, I'd assume that the major companies will just
follow as the EU market is so significant.

Re: Good news from the EU

<0e8sdi1ctcefcebprhbsu4u1r2i4fl0rrp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13060&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13060

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:37:39 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:37 UTC

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:06:28 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>Not strictly gaming related but anyway, the EU have got their arse in
>gear and although they've not gone as far a some people hoped by 2027
>all phones, tablets, laptops etc. will be required to have a battery
>that can be replaced by a layman with basic tools.

I'd be happy even if all they did was stop gluing/sonic-welding the
damn machines together.

I hate this "thinness over all other features" mandate that has taken
over the industry. I'd happily sacrifice a few millimeters and grams
if it meant I could actually work on these devices without feeling
like they'll shatter whenever I pry them open (that goes for laptops
too).

Re: Good news from the EU

<ublf4j$3qtos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13063&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13063

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:42:12 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 15:42 UTC

On 17/08/2023 14:37, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:06:28 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> Not strictly gaming related but anyway, the EU have got their arse in
>> gear and although they've not gone as far a some people hoped by 2027
>> all phones, tablets, laptops etc. will be required to have a battery
>> that can be replaced by a layman with basic tools.
>

> I'd be happy even if all they did was stop gluing/sonic-welding the
> damn machines together.
>
> I hate this "thinness over all other features" mandate that has taken
> over the industry. I'd happily sacrifice a few millimeters and grams
> if it meant I could actually work on these devices without feeling
> like they'll shatter whenever I pry them open (that goes for laptops
> too).

There does seem to be an appetite in the EU to introduce 'right to
repair' laws under the aims of pro-consumer and to stop the amount of
electronics ending up in landfill. That one I can see is it a bit more
tricky as to how to provide legislation that doesn't have unintended
consequences while being enforcible.

The problem I have though is the companies (yes Apple I'm looking at
you) who go out of their way to make the products less repairable and
charge silly money for repairs. Saying that it not just electronics, a
couple of years ago I went to get my battery changed at the authorised
dealer and the cost was £180 as the manufacturer had introduced a rule
of if you want to sell our watches (authorised dealer) then you can no
longer change the battery in the shop but have to send it back to be
serviced.

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubm1gk$3tm2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13068&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13068

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 22:55:48 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:55 UTC

Am 17.08.23 um 13:32 schrieb JAB:

> Have you got a link/source for that as everything I've read so far says
> they are. And just to make it clear, this is the internet after all
> where we have no tone of voice to convey actual meaning, I'm not saying
> you're wrong!
>
> As for the second part, I'd assume that the major companies will just
> follow as the EU market is so significant.
You are right, seems like a possible phone exception is off the table.
Sorry I did not want to spread misinformation.

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubngjo$7b0c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13074&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13074

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 11:19:35 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:19 UTC

On 17/08/2023 21:55, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 17.08.23 um 13:32 schrieb JAB:
>>
>> Have you got a link/source for that as everything I've read so far
>> says they are. And just to make it clear, this is the internet after
>> all where we have no tone of voice to convey actual meaning, I'm not
>> saying you're wrong!
>>
>> As for the second part, I'd assume that the major companies will just
>> follow as the EU market is so significant.
> You are right, seems like a possible phone exception is off the table.
> Sorry I did not want to spread misinformation.

No problems as there's so much information out there it's easy to pick
up on something that turns out not to be completely correct. My general
strategy is does the source seem reliable and does the information seem
plausible.

One of my annoyances is when a journalist take a story and misrepresents
what the story actually is due to their own biases. At best it's just
sloppy and at worst completely dishonest. Then again being in the UK I
no longer expect too much as we have a government that thinks outright
lying is perfectly acceptable!

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubnh33$7b0c$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13076&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13076

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 11:27:46 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:27 UTC

On 17/08/2023 21:55, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 17.08.23 um 13:32 schrieb JAB:
>>
>> Have you got a link/source for that as everything I've read so far
>> says they are. And just to make it clear, this is the internet after
>> all where we have no tone of voice to convey actual meaning, I'm not
>> saying you're wrong!
>>
>> As for the second part, I'd assume that the major companies will just
>> follow as the EU market is so significant.
> You are right, seems like a possible phone exception is off the table.
> Sorry I did not want to spread misinformation.

Just to add, I do think that overall it's a good idea as my last phone,
yes you could take it apart but the battery was in some sort of soft
shell and I wasn't happy to remove it for fear of damage. My current
one, nope that's basically glued together so when it goes it will be
time for a new one.

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubnjuv$800a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13077&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13077

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:16:47 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 11:16 UTC

Am 18.08.23 um 12:19 schrieb JAB:

> No problems as there's so much information out there it's easy to pick
> up on something that turns out not to be completely correct. My general
> strategy
the problem also is, that things change during the time of events, I did
not follow it thoroughly...

Re: Good news from the EU

<ubq66t$p46g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13082&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13082

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:40:27 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:40 UTC

On 18/08/2023 12:16, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 18.08.23 um 12:19 schrieb JAB:
>>
>> No problems as there's so much information out there it's easy to pick
>> up on something that turns out not to be completely correct. My
>> general strategy
> the problem also is, that things change during the time of events, I did
> not follow it thoroughly...

I agree, it's quite easy to pick up a story at one point and not
realised it's changed unless you pro-actively follow it.