From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Corsair LL Series, LL140 RGB, 140mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM
Fan + MSI MEG Prospect 700R build in controller ?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:32:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 23:32 UTC

On 4/16/2023 6:41 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to purchase three Corsair LL Series, LL140 RGB, 140mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fans for mounting in the top part of the PC Case: MSI MEG Prospect 700R
>
> This PC case: MSI MEG Prospect 700R comes with it's own build in controller. Looking at the manual of this PC case the controller, pins and plugs seems similiar to the plugs on these corsair fans, but I am not sure if these two components will work correctly if at all ?!?
>
> Number of pins seems to match, type seems to match PWM, number of plugs seems to match, one for power and one for "led" control.
>
> But I am not sure if it's compatible... any ideas if this will work together ???
>
> Link to picture of this controller as shown in the PC case manual:
>
> http://skybuck.org/Hardware/SuperPC2023/PCCaseController.png
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Skybuck.

The Corsair manual is perfectly useless, as it provides no pinouts.

And there are different standards, so be careful Yoda :-)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/7117HoykT6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

For the kids at home, the picture contents show:

1x3 X X X
+5V D GND

1x4 X X X <=== Missing pin, a 5V system
+5V D GND

1x4 X X X X <=== All pins, a 12V system
+12V G R B

No idea how it all works. The ones with the letter "D"
are obviously some kind of serial bus. We would need documents
for the bottom one. Those could be pull-to-ground and some
sort of analog RGB. Just guesses.

Since the manufacturers don't want to make the info easy
to find, I'll just give up :-)

Paul

Re: Corsair LL Series, LL140 RGB, 140mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan + MSI MEG Prospect 700R build in controller ?

<u1i6s4$2s2uq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1307&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1307

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fan + MSI MEG Prospect 700R build in controller ?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 21:20:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 01:20 UTC

On 4/16/2023 7:32 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 4/16/2023 6:41 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>   Hello,
>>
>> I would like to purchase three Corsair LL Series, LL140 RGB, 140mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fans for mounting in the top part of the PC Case: MSI MEG Prospect 700R
>>
>> This PC case: MSI MEG Prospect 700R comes with it's own build in controller. Looking at the manual of this PC case the controller, pins and plugs seems similiar to the plugs on these corsair fans, but I am not sure if these two components will work correctly if at all ?!?
>>
>> Number of pins seems to match, type seems to match PWM, number of plugs seems to match, one for power and one for "led" control.
>>
>> But I am not sure if it's compatible... any ideas if this will work together ???
>>
>> Link to picture of this controller as shown in the PC case manual:
>>
>> http://skybuck.org/Hardware/SuperPC2023/PCCaseController.png
>>
>> Bye for now,
>>
>>    Skybuck.
>>

> The Corsair manual is perfectly useless, as it provides no pinouts.
>
> And there are different standards, so be careful Yoda :-)
>
>     https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/7117HoykT6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
>
> For the kids at home, the picture contents show:
>
> 1x3    X  X  X
>       +5V D  GND
>
> 1x4    X  X     X      <=== Missing pin, a 5V system
>       +5V D     GND
>
> 1x4    X  X  X  X      <=== All pins, a 12V system
>      +12V G  R  B
>
> No idea how it all works. The ones with the letter "D"
> are obviously some kind of serial bus. We would need documents
> for the bottom one. Those could be pull-to-ground and some
> sort of analog RGB. Just guesses.
>
> Since the manufacturers don't want to make the info easy
> to find, I'll just give up :-)
>
>   Paul

This one is RGB strip lighting. They are 12V powered.

1x4 X X X X <=== All pins, a 12V system
+12V G R B

The LEDs are all in parallel. If you had a strip with fifteen
LEDs on it, then all fifteen LEDs would turn red at the same
time, all fifteen LEDs would turn amber at the same time. The
LEDs are not individually addressable.

*******

Whereas the other connectors are serial bus connections
for addressable LEDs. You can make one LED pink, another LED purple,
another LED lime green, on an assembly. The serial bus programming
goes out in real time.

1x4 X X X <=== Missing pin, a 5V system, serially addressed LEDs
+5V D GND

The only puzzle for me, is how do you know what the numeric address
of each LED is ?

Since your computer case has that controller box, as you say,
there's a good chance it will all work. But because I'm not seeing
any "standards names", I can't check this. Presumably this bus is
a standard bus that already exists, of some sort.

So what we do, is we look for the hobbyist version of ARGB.

https://github.com/Lisalotte/ARGBfan/blob/main/ARGBfan.ino

https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-Controlled-ARGB-LED-Fan/

#define LED_TYPE WS2811

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf

It's addressed by serial position, and a lop-n-chop method.
Each chip removes 24 bits from the link (24 bits gives 8 bits
for R,G, and B). If you had ten LEDs, there would be 240 bits
coming from the controller. The chips are cascaded in series, and
each chip drives a three-color LED (four pins). Transmission rate
is 400KHz. This also implies the pulse shape is trapezoidal
and the comm method supports long pieces of wire.

*******

The DRAM DIMM LED control method, again, can't find a reference
as to what bus controls it. Whether it is via SMBUS, dunno. I don't
see a cable, so it might not plug into your controller.

Paul