Most public domain software is free, at least at first glance.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Claws Mail

SubjectAuthor
* Claws MailJohnny
+* Re: Claws MailMike Easter
|`* Re: Claws MailAragorn
| `* Re: Claws MailMike Easter
|  `* Re: Claws MailAragorn
|   `* Re: Claws MailMike Easter
|    `* [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)Aragorn
|     `* Re: [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)Johnny
|      `- Re: [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)Johnny
`- Re: Claws MailJohnny

1
Claws Mail

<20210429163225.1f9c06f2@bjspc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1307&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1307

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Claws Mail
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:32:25 -0500
 by: Johnny - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 21:32 UTC

In my Folder List, only the newsgroups are shown. I don't show New,
Unread or Total.

I noticed today, that beside the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mint, this
appeared: (!)

It looks like this: alt.os.linux.mint (!)

I have searched the Claws Mail user manual, and (!) is not in there.

Anyone have any idea what it means?

Re: Claws Mail

<20210429185727.2f179bf8@raspberrypi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1308&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1308

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Claws Mail
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 18:57:27 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 01:57 UTC

Johnny wrote;

>In my Folder List, only the newsgroups are shown. I don't show New,
>Unread or Total.
>
>I noticed today, that beside the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mint, this
>appeared: (!)
>
>It looks like this: alt.os.linux.mint (!)
>
>I have searched the Claws Mail user manual, and (!) is not in there.
>
>Anyone have any idea what it means?

No.

I don't regularly use Claws. When I recently set it up, even tho' I
wasn't intending to use it for mail, I set up a 'dummy' email account
and Mailbox because it was necessary to do so to proceed further to
allow me to setup the news account. It isn't necessary to do that in
Tb because one can 'bail' from the initial 'requirement' to start w/ a
mail account.

My dummy Mailbox shows in the Folder view. The account has bogus
settings; I can't look at them right now w/ this compose window open.
But, the point is that the msg/s I sent to the newsgroup are found in
the Mailbox/ Sent folder.

The values of new, unread, and total for this ng are shown in the
bottom (extra) 'line' of what is called the 'thread pane' in Tb -- in
which Claws calls the same layout 'standard' (panes) folder left,
thread upper R, message lower R.

So, while I don't know the (!) answer, everything else is 'there' in
mine but not in the folder pane. I think your Sent problem is related
to perhaps not setting up some kind of Mailbox; or maybe you are also
using your Claws for mail which I don't. Oh, wait, you didn't say you
had a sent problem (missing) just new unread total.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Claws Mail

<20210430040428.0c139715@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1309&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1309

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 04:04:28 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 02:04 UTC

On 29.04.2021 at 18:57, Mike Easter scribbled:

> I don't regularly use Claws. When I recently set it up, even tho' I
> wasn't intending to use it for mail, I set up a 'dummy' email account
> and Mailbox because it was necessary to do so to proceed further to
> allow me to setup the news account.

Not over here at my end, it wasn't. I don't have any mail account
set up in my Claws Mail — dummy or otherwise.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: Claws Mail

<if18n5Fhc03U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1310&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1310

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:35:17 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 02:35 UTC

Aragorn wrote:
> Not over here at my end, it wasn't. I don't have any mail account
> set up in my Claws Mail — dummy or otherwise.

Where are your ng Sent msg/s?

--
Mike Easter

Re: Claws Mail

<20210430083113.7441c8d4@bjspc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1311&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1311

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:31:13 -0500
 by: Johnny - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 13:31 UTC

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:32:25 -0500
Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> In my Folder List, only the newsgroups are shown. I don't show New,
> Unread or Total.
>
> I noticed today, that beside the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mint, this
> appeared: (!)
>
> It looks like this: alt.os.linux.mint (!)
>
> I have searched the Claws Mail user manual, and (!) is not in there.
>
> Anyone have any idea what it means?

I still don't know what (!) means, but I did find a way to get rid of
it.

I thought maybe it was showing the most used newsgroup, but that wasn't
it, because I have visited other newsgroups more.

I shutdown Claws, opened File Manager, went to
/.claws-mail/newscache/alt.os.linux.mint and deleted all messages.
When I restarted Claws Mail, it was gone.

Re: Claws Mail

<20210430192230.0a57ef05@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1312&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1312

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:22:30 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:22 UTC

On 29.04.2021 at 19:35, Mike Easter scribbled:

> Aragorn wrote:
>
> > Not over here at my end, it wasn't. I don't have any mail account
> > set up in my Claws Mail — dummy or otherwise.
>
> Where are your ng Sent msg/s?

They are stored in the Sent folder of the Mailbox section.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: Claws Mail

<if2vptFrm10U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1313&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1313

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:15:24 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 18:15 UTC

Aragorn wrote:
> Mike Easter scribbled:
>> Aragorn wrote:
>>
>>> Not over here at my end, it wasn't. I don't have any mail account
>>> set up in my Claws Mail — dummy or otherwise.
>>
>> Where are your ng Sent msg/s?
>
> They are stored in the Sent folder of the Mailbox section.

Ah. OK. Mine too. In Tb that is 'Local Folders'

--
Mike Easter

[OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)

<20210430211841.79291101@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1314&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1314

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:18:41 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:18 UTC

On 30.04.2021 at 11:15, Mike Easter scribbled:

> Aragorn wrote:
>
> > Mike Easter scribbled:

> >> Where are your ng Sent msg/s?
> >
> > They are stored in the Sent folder of the Mailbox section.
> >
> Ah. OK. Mine too. In Tb that is 'Local Folders'
I still miss KNode. It's a shame no one ever ported it beyond qt3 —
the qt4 port still partly relied on the qt3 libs, but when KDE 4 was
replaced by Plasma 5, the support for stuff still relying on qt3 was
discontinued.

For a while I was using Pan — when I was still running PCLinuxOS — which
has excellent filtering capabilities, but ever since I switched to
Manjaro, I've never been able to get it to work. It would crash upon
downloading new messages when setting up the newsgroups for the first
time. I've also tried building Pan from sources using the Arch PKGBUILD,
but it made no difference — it behaved in the same manner.

For that matter, Claws Mail also periodically dies inexplicably, and it
has been doing that ever since I started using it, so I suspect that
the problem may lie elsewhere — possibly in gtk3. But at least it's
usable.

I'm not using a lot of gtk-based applications here — only Claws Mail
and Chromium, really, and occasionally Gimp — so it's a bit difficult to
pinpoint where the fatal flaw sits. I rarely ever get any crashes in
qt-based applications. In fact, it's been so long ago since I've last
had a qt-based application crash on me that I don't even remember which
one it was.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)

<20210505162308.5a99790c@bjspc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1326&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1326

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 16:23:08 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 5 May 2021 21:23 UTC

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:18:41 +0200
Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:

> On 30.04.2021 at 11:15, Mike Easter scribbled:
>
> > Aragorn wrote:
> >
> > > Mike Easter scribbled:

> > > They are stored in the Sent folder of the Mailbox section.
> > >
> > Ah. OK. Mine too. In Tb that is 'Local Folders'
>
> I still miss KNode. It's a shame no one ever ported it beyond qt3 —
> the qt4 port still partly relied on the qt3 libs, but when KDE 4 was
> replaced by Plasma 5, the support for stuff still relying on qt3 was
> discontinued.
>
> For a while I was using Pan — when I was still running PCLinuxOS —
> which has excellent filtering capabilities, but ever since I switched
> to Manjaro, I've never been able to get it to work. It would crash
> upon downloading new messages when setting up the newsgroups for the
> first time. I've also tried building Pan from sources using the Arch
> PKGBUILD, but it made no difference — it behaved in the same manner.
>
> For that matter, Claws Mail also periodically dies inexplicably, and
> it has been doing that ever since I started using it, so I suspect
> that the problem may lie elsewhere — possibly in gtk3. But at least
> it's usable.
>
> I'm not using a lot of gtk-based applications here — only Claws Mail
> and Chromium, really, and occasionally Gimp — so it's a bit difficult
> to pinpoint where the fatal flaw sits. I rarely ever get any crashes
> in qt-based applications. In fact, it's been so long ago since I've
> last had a qt-based application crash on me that I don't even
> remember which one it was.

I got this message when starting Claws Mail in a terminal:

(claws-mail:13009): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:16:35.864: Unable to locate
theme engine in module_path: "hcengine", selecting folder
'#news/News/alt.os.linux.mint'

I searched for the warning, and found that installing gtk2-engines would
solve the problem, and it did. I also installed gtk2-engines-Xfce,
since I'm using Xfce.

The warning is gone, and claws hasn't crashed all day. I hope that
solved the problem.

Re: [OT-ish] Usenet News Clients (was: Claws Mail)

<20210526151741.766f6ec0@jspc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1396&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1396

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 15:17:41 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 26 May 2021 20:17 UTC

On Wed, 5 May 2021 16:23:08 -0500
Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:18:41 +0200
> Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:

> > > Ah. OK. Mine too. In Tb that is 'Local Folders'
> >
> > I still miss KNode. It's a shame no one ever ported it beyond qt3 —
> > the qt4 port still partly relied on the qt3 libs, but when KDE 4 was
> > replaced by Plasma 5, the support for stuff still relying on qt3 was
> > discontinued.
> >
> > For a while I was using Pan — when I was still running PCLinuxOS —
> > which has excellent filtering capabilities, but ever since I
> > switched to Manjaro, I've never been able to get it to work. It
> > would crash upon downloading new messages when setting up the
> > newsgroups for the first time. I've also tried building Pan from
> > sources using the Arch PKGBUILD, but it made no difference — it
> > behaved in the same manner.
> >
> > For that matter, Claws Mail also periodically dies inexplicably, and
> > it has been doing that ever since I started using it, so I suspect
> > that the problem may lie elsewhere — possibly in gtk3. But at least
> > it's usable.
> >
> > I'm not using a lot of gtk-based applications here — only Claws Mail
> > and Chromium, really, and occasionally Gimp — so it's a bit
> > difficult to pinpoint where the fatal flaw sits. I rarely ever get
> > any crashes in qt-based applications. In fact, it's been so long
> > ago since I've last had a qt-based application crash on me that I
> > don't even remember which one it was.
> >

> I got this message when starting Claws Mail in a terminal:
>
> (claws-mail:13009): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:16:35.864: Unable to locate
> theme engine in module_path: "hcengine", selecting folder
> '#news/News/alt.os.linux.mint'
>
> I searched for the warning, and found that installing gtk2-engines
> would solve the problem, and it did. I also installed
> gtk2-engines-Xfce, since I'm using Xfce.
>
> The warning is gone, and claws hasn't crashed all day. I hope that
> solved the problem.

Well that didn't work, Claws crashed again, so I reinstalled the
operating system, and this time I installed gtk2-engines before I
installed Claws Mail.

It hasn't had a segmentation fault in 21 days.