Uncertain fortune is thoroughly mastered by the equity of the calculation. -- Blaise Pascal

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

SubjectAuthor
* iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...TDH1978
+* Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...Lewis
|`* Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...TDH1978
| +- Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...Your Name
| `* Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...Lewis
|  `- Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...Stefen Carroll - frelwizzen
`- Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...Wade Garrett

1
iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<skkv80$tfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13126&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13126

From: thedeerh...@movie.uni (TDH1978)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:16:16 -0400
 by: TDH1978 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:16 UTC

I have an external 2011 LaCie hard-drive attached to my MacBook Pro for
TimeMachine backups. It is time for me to upgrade from my hard-drive
to a larger faster SSD but before I do that I'd like to consider iCloud
as an option.

I have about 300GB worth of personal data (emails plus their
attachments, photos/videos, music, documents, spreadsheets, etc). I
currently have the free 5GB iCloud account which I almost never use.
It is my understanding that iCloud is used indirectly by some
applications like Notes and Contacts. I do not use iCloud for emails,
photos/videos, music, etc. I would be willing to upgrade to the 2TB
iCloud plan.

My question is: would iCloud be a better solution for my TimeMachine
backups? What are the advantages and disadvantages? What do most
people here use? Can the iCloud TimeMachine backup be used by the
Migration Assistant to migrate from one MacBook Pro to another? In
other words, are the applications and OS-specific files also backed up
to iCloud?

Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<slrnsmsbng.1f36.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13133&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13133

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 02:35:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 02:35 UTC

In message <skkv80$tfc$1@dont-email.me> TDH1978 <thedeerhunter1978@movie.uni> wrote:
> My question is: would iCloud be a better solution for my TimeMachine
> backups?

No. You could certainly have a backup copy of your data on iCloud, but
you cannot have a Time Machine archive on iCloud, and iCloud doesn't
support the sort of versioning that Time Machine does.

iCloud Drive is for having a place were your files are available to you
from all your devices, it's not a backup solution per se.

> What are the advantages and disadvantages? What do most
> people here use?

I have all my important files on iCloud and my Synology and in
Backblaze AND in a local Time Machine backup.

--
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.." -
Oscar Wilde

Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<sklc00$q04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13134&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13134

From: thedeerh...@movie.uni (TDH1978)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:53:52 -0400
 by: TDH1978 - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 02:53 UTC

On 2021-10-19 02:35:28 +0000, Lewis said:

> No. You could certainly have a backup copy of your data on iCloud, but
> you cannot have a Time Machine archive on iCloud, and iCloud doesn't
> support the sort of versioning that Time Machine does.
>
> iCloud Drive is for having a place were your files are available to you
> from all your devices, it's not a backup solution per se.

Okay, thanks for that clarification. It sounds like I will have to
purchase that SSD.

> I have all my important files on iCloud and my Synology and in
> Backblaze AND in a local Time Machine backup.

So you have two external storage solutions attached to your Mac; a
Synology NAS and a TimeMachine hard-drive/SSD? And isn't Backblaze
similar to iCloud?

Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<sklkph$1g80$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13136&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13136

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:24:01 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 05:24 UTC

On 2021-10-19 02:53:52 +0000, TDH1978 said:

> On 2021-10-19 02:35:28 +0000, Lewis said:
>
>> No. You could certainly have a backup copy of your data on iCloud, but
>> you cannot have a Time Machine archive on iCloud, and iCloud doesn't
>> support the sort of versioning that Time Machine does.
>>
>> iCloud Drive is for having a place were your files are available to you
>> from all your devices, it's not a backup solution per se.
>
> Okay, thanks for that clarification. It sounds like I will have to
> purchase that SSD.
>

>> I have all my important files on iCloud and my Synology and in
>> Backblaze AND in a local Time Machine backup.
>
> So you have two external storage solutions attached to your Mac; a
> Synology NAS and a TimeMachine hard-drive/SSD? And isn't Backblaze
> similar to iCloud?

iCloud is a storage drive on someone else's server, but it's not a
"backup" and Apple states that very clearly. Things can be too easily
deleted from iCloud accidentally. DropBox would be another service that
is sort-of similar. You can open the files directly from you iCloud
drive.

Backblaze is a proper off-site backup. Nothing is deleted from there
unless you purposely do so. You can't open any files stored here - you
can only copy them on or retrieve them.

The benefit of a proper off-site backup is if something happens to your
entire local set-up (fire, burglary), then you can get back all the
fiels since your last backup. The drawback is that it is rather slow
compared to a local drive, and it can eat up large amounts of traffic
if you've got a data-capped internet connection.

Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<skmdps$t1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13139&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13139

From: Wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:30:50 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:30 UTC

On 10/18/21 7:16 PM, TDH1978 wrote:
> I have an external 2011 LaCie hard-drive attached to my MacBook Pro for
> TimeMachine backups.  It is time for me to upgrade from my hard-drive to
> a larger faster SSD but before I do that I'd like to consider iCloud as
> an option.
>
> I have about 300GB worth of personal data (emails plus their
> attachments, photos/videos, music, documents, spreadsheets, etc).  I
> currently have the free 5GB iCloud account which I almost never use. It
> is my understanding that iCloud is used indirectly by some applications
> like Notes and Contacts.  I do not use iCloud for emails, photos/videos,
> music, etc.  I would be willing to upgrade to the 2TB iCloud plan.
>
> My question is: would iCloud be a better solution for my TimeMachine
> backups?  What are the advantages and disadvantages?  What do most
> people here use?  Can the iCloud TimeMachine backup be used by the
> Migration Assistant to migrate from one MacBook Pro to another?  In
> other words, are the applications and OS-specific files also backed up
> to iCloud?

I've never been comfortable with my data-- supposedly securely-encrypted
or not-- residing on some remote hard drive...who knows where and under
whose supervision, access and control.

--
When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to
help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.

Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<slrnsmtush.21ln.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13147&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13147

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:08:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:08 UTC

In message <sklc00$q04$1@dont-email.me> TDH1978 <thedeerhunter1978@movie.uni> wrote:
> On 2021-10-19 02:35:28 +0000, Lewis said:

>> No. You could certainly have a backup copy of your data on iCloud, but
>> you cannot have a Time Machine archive on iCloud, and iCloud doesn't
>> support the sort of versioning that Time Machine does.
>>
>> iCloud Drive is for having a place were your files are available to you
>> from all your devices, it's not a backup solution per se.

> Okay, thanks for that clarification. It sounds like I will have to
> purchase that SSD.

>> I have all my important files on iCloud and my Synology and in
>> Backblaze AND in a local Time Machine backup.

> So you have two external storage solutions attached to your Mac; a
> Synology NAS and a TimeMachine hard-drive/SSD? And isn't Backblaze
> similar to iCloud?

The NAS is a network drive located in a different place from my computer
(about 15km away) and I connect to it over the Internet.

So, three of the copies of my important data are off-site, and in
different sites.

Backblaze is not similar to iCloud, or not much similar. First, it does
support versioning, so I have 30 days worth of recovery versions of
files. Second, Backblaze is setup with TNO encryption (that is to say, I
hold an encryption key that is applied to the data before it leaves my
computer, so no one can access those files). Third, Backblaze is
not setup to sync those files to other machines, and accessing an
individual file from Backblaze is not especially convenient (though
possible, and I have done this a few times).

The exact sets of what is in each backup does vary somewhat. There is
more in Backblaze than in iCloud, for example, for the simple reason
that I have to explicitly decide what to put in iCloud while in
Backblaze it is the opposite, I have to decide what NOT to put on
Backblaze. But the important files are in all four places.

One trick that I do with iCloud is I created a Downloads folder on
iCloud, and that is where all of my machines and devices save downloaded
files. This means that when I am out and someone mentions a new app (or
I hear something on a podcast) I can download it on my phone and by the
time I am home, the file is on my computers, ready to install.

I also keep a folder on iCloud of Installers, that contains various OS
installation images, including the current FreeBSD releases (amd64 ad
i386) current macOS dmg files,a nd a few utility installers that I do
not want to have to find again, as well as a Windows 7 and Windows 10
installer image.

--
People in cages is never not personal, sweetie.

Re: iCloud vs SSD for TimeMachine backups...

<b5b19f88-def3-445c-848b-a0b182ec2a38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13193&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13193

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:10:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Stefen Carroll - frelwizzen)
 by: Stefen Carroll - fre - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:10 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 11:37:57 AM UTC-7, Stefen Carroll - frelwizzen wrote:
> [...]
> from my having provided it to you via a google search or a
> public records search.
> -----
>
> <XnsAC34A6...@1b2yUZpg51V1q.6EF009.jKrc>
> -----
> Regardless of where the number shows up, it doesn't tie
> itself to me, and you cannot associate the number with me
> via a google search, OR any number of free/paid public
> records searches. Therefore, that is PRIVATE information
> that you think you're holding over my head, not public as
> you erroneously think here.
> -----
>
> <XnsAC34A6...@1b2yUZpg51V1q.6EF009.jKrc>
> -----
> It's not, running my name doesn't provide that cell
> number. The two are not linked in any way shape or form.
> The number itself as is the case with any recycled number
> is in all kinds of databases, but it's not linked to me;
> therefore, that IS PRIVATE information that you can't get
> via a google search or a paid public records search.
> -----
>
> <XnsAC1D79...@889n4Sx8GWE.MNnkz50hZNVS.fh0SYyRp>
> -----
> They are relevant to the fact YOU INSERTED the phone
> number I provided you verbally into a bogus call log video
> you've taken the time to create. When I use the cell I
> provided you the number for to make outbound calls, It
> *ALWAYS* reports Kingsport, TN. Not one single time has it
> ever, nor would it have any reason to report Johnson City.
> It doesn't pick cities at random, it doesn't go by my
> present location, either. That's actually fixed, as is the
> number assigned to the phone.
> -----
>
> <XnsAC17C6...@4uMkH0FFER6s72gSy7J8N4B67.Mht3WTC373bt67J31gn>
> -----
> You didn't even score the right city, Snit. And, the
> correct city is common, public knowledge with the regulars
> here. The moment you unblocked 'Johnson City' in your
> videos, you were busted.
> -----
>
> <XnsAC212D...@gt3i2B7y.5N0FOv3e210vLOej4O4doj8b>
> -----
> David, every single Address you've posted that's supposed
> to be mine has been Kingsport. Not Johnson City. Don't you
> think you should tell snit that was a fuckup on his part
> by now? :)
> -----
>
> <XnsAC2110...@3R4NM89td0T86C.231IPkH>
> -----
> His response to that was to file a report with the
> kingsport,tn police. Well hell, why not the johnson city
> ones? That's where he claimed the call said it originated
> from. :)
> -----
>
> --
> This broke the Internet
> Automate Google Groups https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/PetruzzellisorCarroll
> https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/C00166710/donors/2016
> Dustin Cook is a functional illiterate fraud

Silver Slimer conned Mike Easter as much as he deserves, big fricking deal.
Mike Easter is being a crying bastard about it? Hell, just recently he
was declaring himself the only "true Linux advocate", and claiming that
"advocates" (in satire-quotes just to annoy people) are actively working
against the success of desktop Linux.

Don't look now, but I think Mike Easter has a serious fascination with
Silver Slimer.

It was Mike Easter who forged me (and others) and did not even try to
hide it.

--
Do not click this link!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglvCo3dJ38&feature=youtu.be