From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: SSD in side of case, on back of motherboard safe ?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:39:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:39 UTC

On 4/17/2023 1:27 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> PC Case Prospect 700R allows (sata3?) SSD to be placed behind motherboard.
>
> However there is no airflow there I think or very little ?! Plus some heat of motherboard might also leak through ?!
>
> Is it safe to place SSDs behind motherboard or can they overheat, melt, etc ?!
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

You have two SATA III connectors and a typical drive might
use 2.5W during read and write. The devices may have small power
spikes, but I can't see these spikes with my lousy instruments here :-)

You should put the SSD out front, for easy removal if there is
a warranty issue.

I cannot find any 25mm wide NVMe PCI Express 5 for sale.

That leaves 22mm wide NVME PCI Express 4 instead (7GB/sec or so).
Those can have higher dissipation, due to the data rates
and the slight increase in I/O power.

I suspect the socket near the CPU is not the same as the
NVMe sockets further down the motherboard, but I can't find
any closeup pictures to verify.

A high power NVMe PCI Express 5 module, might benefit
from "spill-air" from the CPU coolers, but there aren't that
many blow-down CPU coolers. I'm still trying to locate
a good one for my machine. The problem with Noctua products,
is they applied an offset design to their blow-down coolers
that makes them less useful. It's nice to have a little
air circulation on the VCore heatsinks (especially if Prime95
is running).

Paul