How many weeks are there in a light year?

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

SubjectAuthor
* CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceDimensional Traveler
+* Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearancecandycane
|`- Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceDimensional Traveler
+- Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceJAB
+* Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceMike S.
|`- Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceMike S.
+- Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceXocyll
`- Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your AppearanceJustisaur

1
CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<m07keils7thqsfegnq3po0s7b2u2f33d06@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13143&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13143

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 12:08:20 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 16:08 UTC

Will you look at the time? According to the clock, we've just about
reached the point where we need to run another Completely Random And
Pointless (tm) poll where we ask silly questions about your
game-playing habits! But answer truthfully; remember, it's for
science!

--------------

Hello adventurer!

I see you've spent undue amounts of time carefully crafting your
appearance to match your particular vision of how you're supposed to
look. But now that you have been playing for a few hours, perhaps
you'd like to reconsider? Come, visit our surgeon/barber/magic
mirror/whatever and - in a manner completely unexplained - transform
your entire look! It's fun, it's easy, and 9 times out of 10, nobody
in the game will even notice that - while you started as a 1.2meter
35kg purple-skinned balding waif - you've suddenly transformed into a
hulking 1.9m 97kg* orange-haired ogre with a comb-over.

So... please enter and take advantage of our magical cabinet of
personal transformation!

Do you:

a) Eagerly step into the room. Nobody should be stuck
with the same appearance for an entire game. In
fact, you'll probably re-visit the surgeon
repeatedly through the game.

b) Enter the room; I mean, sure, why not. You're not
really into body-modification, but a one-time
transformation might be fun.

c) Enter the room with some trepidation. You're fine
with what you look like, mostly, but maybe a few
tweaks here and there wouldn't go amiss.

d) Enter with nervous curiosity. It's not so much
that you're really interested in changing how you
look, but there's something about the mechanics of
it that appeal to you and you'd like to revisit
the experience for that reason.

e) Politely refuse. You put a lot of effort into your
current look, and any further tinkering would mess
with perfection.

f) Snort disdainfully as you walk by. Such pitiful
vanities are for lesser folk. Why, you barely put
any effort into your appearance when the quest first
started; why should you do so now?You look what you
look like; it's completely unimportant when compared
to the many exciting deeds that lay before you.

g) Stare confusedly at the petitioner. Customizing
your looks? Wait... was this like that thing at
the start of the game, where you pushed a button
marked "random" and your face briefly contorted
into its current ungainly form? Why would anyone
bother with that a second time?

So, while there is some variance, on the whole I trend towards
"e)Politely Refuse". It's not so much that I think my original efforts
were perfect, but if I bother with character customization, I usually
get in the general vicinity of what I intended, and am satisfied with
the (often very little) effort I put into the task. Going back and
doing it a second time doesn't really appeal to me.

But what about you? Do you enjoy getting a second chance to change
your character's in-game appearance, or does the whole thing feel like
a waste of time? Our researchers are excitedly awaiting your

-------------------------------
* that's 6'3" and 215 lb for USians (and Liberians)

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<ucdafg$llsj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13145&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13145

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:49:53 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 16:49 UTC

On 8/26/2023 9:08 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> [...]
>
> g) Stare confusedly at the petitioner. Customizing
> your looks? Wait... was this like that thing at
> the start of the game, where you pushed a button
> marked "random" and your face briefly contorted
> into its current ungainly form? Why would anyone
> bother with that a second time?
>

> So, while there is some variance, on the whole I trend towards
> "e)Politely Refuse". It's not so much that I think my original efforts
> were perfect, but if I bother with character customization, I usually
> get in the general vicinity of what I intended, and am satisfied with
> the (often very little) effort I put into the task. Going back and
> doing it a second time doesn't really appeal to me.
>
> But what about you? Do you enjoy getting a second chance to change
> your character's in-game appearance, or does the whole thing feel like
> a waste of time? Our researchers are excitedly awaiting your

Probably F but I frequently put absolutely no effort at all into
customizing my character's appearance. I also don't carry a mirror
around in real life so I can constantly look at myself, so....

dirty old man.

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<751478880@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13149&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13149

From: candyc...@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 15:36:34 +1300
 by: candycane - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 02:36 UTC

SH> e) Politely refuse. You put a lot of effort into your
SH> current look, and any further tinkering would mess
SH> with perfection.

This one, but I usually just go through each option sequentially and pick the
one I like. Also, I'm pretty indecisive and will end up spending the next
hour debating whether to use face style 2 or 3.

(Sorry if this isn't how you're supposed to respond, I'm using a usenet
mirror)

-----------------------------------
user is generated from /dev/urandom

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<ucdv7h$puvn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13150&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13150

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 15:44:03 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 22:44 UTC

On 8/25/2023 7:36 PM, candycane wrote:
> SH> e) Politely refuse. You put a lot of effort into your
> SH> current look, and any further tinkering would mess
> SH> with perfection.
>
> This one, but I usually just go through each option sequentially and pick the
> one I like. Also, I'm pretty indecisive and will end up spending the next
> hour debating whether to use face style 2 or 3.
>
> (Sorry if this isn't how you're supposed to respond, I'm using a usenet
> mirror)

Appropriate for a thread about self-absorption with one's own looks. :P

dirty old man.

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<ucf6oi$14697$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13158&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13158

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 10:58:42 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 09:58 UTC

On 26/08/2023 17:08, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Will you look at the time? According to the clock, we've just about
> reached the point where we need to run another Completely Random And
> Pointless (tm) poll where we ask silly questions about your
> game-playing habits! But answer truthfully; remember, it's for
> science!

A mix of f) and g). I do spend a little time making my character look
but really only as much as age and build.

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<rbcmei50v5n24iojhteeqi628fns5t7sv4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13161&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13161

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 07:22:05 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 11:22 UTC

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 12:08:20 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>But what about you? Do you enjoy getting a second chance to change
>your character's in-game appearance, or does the whole thing feel like
>a waste of time? Our researchers are excitedly awaiting your

I think I fit into category B. I will take the time to make my
character look the way I want him or her to but then I will never
touch the customization features again.

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<9lemeidnnofliv75j96kbne3s7hcvpm4a6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13162&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13162

From: Xoc...@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:04:08 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:04 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Will you look at the time? According to the clock, we've just about
>reached the point where we need to run another Completely Random And
>Pointless (tm) poll where we ask silly questions about your
>game-playing habits! But answer truthfully; remember, it's for
>science!
>

>--------------
>

>Hello adventurer!
>
>I see you've spent undue amounts of time carefully crafting your
>appearance to match your particular vision of how you're supposed to
>look. But now that you have been playing for a few hours, perhaps
>you'd like to reconsider? Come, visit our surgeon/barber/magic
>mirror/whatever and - in a manner completely unexplained - transform
>your entire look! It's fun, it's easy, and 9 times out of 10, nobody
>in the game will even notice that - while you started as a 1.2meter
>35kg purple-skinned balding waif - you've suddenly transformed into a
>hulking 1.9m 97kg* orange-haired ogre with a comb-over.
>
>So... please enter and take advantage of our magical cabinet of
>personal transformation!
>

>Do you:
>
> b) Enter the room; I mean, sure, why not. You're not
> really into body-modification, but a one-time
> transformation might be fun.
>
> c) Enter the room with some trepidation. You're fine
> with what you look like, mostly, but maybe a few
> tweaks here and there wouldn't go amiss.

It depends on the game really.

City of Heroes, before they added the tailor with the first expansion,
I'd deleted many characters because the costume I spent to much time
crafting bothered me after some time.

In Champions, Star Trek Online etc, with multiple costume slots, I
usually made multiple variations on their outfit, but not their
body/face.

Some games, I crafted a look, then got a bit disenchanted with it, or
saw something someone else had done and wanted to tweak my look to
incorporate a variation of it.

Xocyll

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<fiimeih8j3gdt843ktd0ni2raool493pgr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13164&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13164

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 09:07:59 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 13:07 UTC

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 07:22:05 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I think I fit into category B. I will take the time to make my
>character look the way I want him or her to but then I will never
>touch the customization features again.

Ok, I think I messed up. I read your categories more carefully and I
think I actually fit into category E, not B.

Re: CRaP Poll: Changing Your Appearance

<a8da2c34-8549-4ea1-99a4-67550ee68957n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13167&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13167

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 15:50 UTC

On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 9:08:32 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> [...]
>
> g) Stare confusedly at the petitioner. Customizing
> your looks? Wait... was this like that thing at
> the start of the game, where you pushed a button
> marked "random" and your face briefly contorted
> into its current ungainly form? Why would anyone
> bother with that a second time?
>

> So, while there is some variance, on the whole I trend towards
> "e)Politely Refuse". It's not so much that I think my original efforts
> were perfect, but if I bother with character customization, I usually
> get in the general vicinity of what I intended, and am satisfied with
> the (often very little) effort I put into the task. Going back and
> doing it a second time doesn't really appeal to me.
>
> But what about you? Do you enjoy getting a second chance to change
> your character's in-game appearance, or does the whole thing feel like
> a waste of time? Our researchers are excitedly awaiting your

If it's just a hairstyle or facial hair makeover I'll fiddle around and change
it up a bit. I'm glad to have the option of a fix after I've been playing as
sometimes I find that either something looks completely different in once
you get in game (Looking at you Dark Souls!) or I missed something like
the back of the hair, or a tail, and if it's easier to get it fixed than going
through the whole process again I'll do that.

One character in BG I just had to redo is because the voice was male
on a female character, guess I forgot to check the voice.

IRL If there was such a thing I'm sure countless people would happily
do so, there's certainly things I'd go for, and yes much of that is
accessible through surgery, the recovery, time and pain is far beyond
what I'd consider. Body modification (tattoos, piercings, etc.) I
have no interest in. Well there's Adam Savage's ruler (measuring kind)
tattoo, that's mildly interesting for the utility.

- Justisaur