C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas l'Informatique. -- Bosquet [on seeing the IBM 4341]

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

SubjectAuthor
* Shadow Gambit: The Cursed CrewJAB
+* Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crewrms
|`- Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed CrewJAB
`* Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed CrewPW
 `- Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed CrewJAB

1
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

<uchndn$1ki4t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13173&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13173

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:55:16 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 08:55 UTC

Well I've actually bought a full priced game but it was 'only' £30. This
one is from Mimimi the makers of Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 with
the difference that it's self published. Are they breaking new ground in
stealth tactics games, absolutely not and it sticks to the same formula
of their previous games. So a group of enemies with various walking
patterns and then you using the various skills of your characters
(there's some really fun ones) to slowly eliminate and unlock the
overlapping vision cones of enemies.

Probably the two noticeable changes are firstly the mission structure is
slightly more open so you get some freedom of which order you do them in
instead of the just one after another. The real big difference is the
setting, it's not just chuck in all the tropes of pirates (D3 was this
but with the wild west) but make it supernatural as well. When I say
supernatural I mean take the Flying Dutchman from Pirates of the
Caribbean and dialling it up to eleven. It also seems to have slightly
more of a story than the previous games.

So far I'm really enjoying it but then again I'm a big fan of their
other games. There's something quite stratifying about using the shadow
mode which allows you to assign actions to each of your characters and
then execute then all at once. Oh and if you like scum saving then
you'll love this game. It's very much built into it and they even go so
far as to call them memories which you take and can then recall.

Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

<ucksad$29ato$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13185&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13185

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 07:37:15 -0600
 by: rms - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:37 UTC

You'll be sad to hear :(
https://www.mimimi.games/our-final-game/

rms

Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

<uclcfo$2c0im$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13193&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13193

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:13:08 +0100
 by: JAB - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 18:13 UTC

On 29/08/2023 14:37, rms wrote:
> You'll be sad to hear :(
> https://www.mimimi.games/our-final-game/

Nooooooo!!!!

Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

<71ateit6nho2pnsr6k2krhbvkuoi1lun15@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13197&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13197

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 20:24:50 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 02:24 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:55:16 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>Well I've actually bought a full priced game but it was 'only' £30. This
>one is from Mimimi the makers of Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 with
>the difference that it's self published. Are they breaking new ground in
>stealth tactics games, absolutely not and it sticks to the same formula
>of their previous games. So a group of enemies with various walking
>patterns and then you using the various skills of your characters
>(there's some really fun ones) to slowly eliminate and unlock the
>overlapping vision cones of enemies.
>
>Probably the two noticeable changes are firstly the mission structure is
>slightly more open so you get some freedom of which order you do them in
>instead of the just one after another. The real big difference is the
>setting, it's not just chuck in all the tropes of pirates (D3 was this
>but with the wild west) but make it supernatural as well. When I say
>supernatural I mean take the Flying Dutchman from Pirates of the
>Caribbean and dialling it up to eleven. It also seems to have slightly
>more of a story than the previous games.
>
>So far I'm really enjoying it but then again I'm a big fan of their
>other games. There's something quite stratifying about using the shadow
>mode which allows you to assign actions to each of your characters and
>then execute then all at once. Oh and if you like scum saving then
>you'll love this game. It's very much built into it and they even go so
>far as to call them memories which you take and can then recall.

*--

I keep losing my gal. Driving me up the wall! Where is the bar?

-pw

Re: Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

<ucmt5j$2lnqh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13198&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13198

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:03:57 +0100
 by: JAB - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:03 UTC

On 30/08/2023 03:24, PW wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:55:16 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> So far I'm really enjoying it but then again I'm a big fan of their
>> other games. There's something quite stratifying about using the shadow
>> mode which allows you to assign actions to each of your characters and
>> then execute then all at once. Oh and if you like scum saving then
>> you'll love this game. It's very much built into it and they even go so
>> far as to call them memories which you take and can then recall.
>
> *--
>
> I keep losing my gal. Driving me up the wall! Where is the bar?

If you press 'M' that should bring up the map showing where your
objectives are. As for dying, the real key to understanding how to play
the game is how you unlock groups of enemies. So study walking patterns
and also use the RMB to see where their vision cones are. Then it's just
a case of working out how you can slowly work though killing enemy after
enemy until none are left. Some other things, the levels are quite
deliberate in the way they are set-up so if for example there's some ivy
you can climb it most likely is there for a reason; try not to become
skill blind where you don't think about all the skills available to you
and how they can use them in combinations - so set the teleport trap,
use the bird song to bring a character towards the trap, activate the
trap and you have a dead enemy; shadow mode can be really powerful (not
to mention fun) as sometimes you just need to perfectly co-ordinate the
actions of multiple characters; there are four difficult levels so if
you're finding it frustrating then take it down a notch until you've
become better.

Failing all of that watch some things on YT which should help explain
how it all fits together.