The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

SubjectAuthor
* Closure of a company once associated with RiscOsAdrian Crafer
`* Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOsM Harding
 +* Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOscharles
 |`- Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOsChris Hughes
 +- Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOsAdrian Crafer
 `- Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOsAdrian Crafer

1
Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

<6cd8de3559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1314&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1314

Subject: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 18:54:21 +0100
 by: Adrian Crafer - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:54 UTC

You may be aware of Prophet the accounts package originally written by
Quentin Pain and now maintained by Elesar. Well after Quentin left the
Risc market he produced a Windows accounts package this was called
Accountz and marketed by a company of the same name. Quentin retired a few
years ago, but the company has just announced it is closing because of the
trading conditions brought on by Covid.

I am now pleased I stuck with Prophet and did not migrate. I look forward
to some enhancements from Elesar in the future.

Adrian Crafer

--
acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

<5935e4f375riscos@mdharding.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1315&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1315

From: ris...@mdharding.org.uk (M Harding)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 20:01:03 +0100
 by: M Harding - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:01 UTC

In article <6cd8de3559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>,
Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> You may be aware of Prophet the accounts package originally written
> by Quentin Pain and now maintained by Elesar. Well after Quentin
> left the Risc market he produced a Windows accounts package this
> was called Accountz and marketed by a company of the same name.
> Quentin retired a few years ago, but the company has just
> announced it is closing because of the trading conditions brought
> on by Covid.

Thanks for that information, Adrian. I bought the Accountz Home
package for Windows (and it's extremely good). Today I received an
email thanking me for my question (which I hadn't asked) and this was
accompanied by .pdf guides as to how to back up the files and stating
that the online manuals would soon no longer be maintained, so
download the bits one needed. (How can you forecast those?!)

There was no mention that the firm was closing down.

> I am now pleased I stuck with Prophet and did not migrate. I look
> forward to some enhancements from Elesar in the future.

I used to use from 1991 a simple RISC OS program called !BankManager
(and even once ran the Church accounts on its Windows variant) but it
eventually proved somewhat clunky, e.g. in printing, so I switched to
Accountz. Am I to revisit RISC OS with Prophet - I thought that was a
package for commerce rather than keeping my home bank balance stable?
Hang on! !Prophet costs 94.80.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding riscos@mdharding.org.uk

Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

<5935e8711acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1316&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1316

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 20:39:12 +0100
 by: charles - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:39 UTC

In article <5935e4f375riscos@mdharding.org.uk>,
M Harding <riscos@mdharding.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <6cd8de3559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>,
> Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > You may be aware of Prophet the accounts package originally written
> > by Quentin Pain and now maintained by Elesar. Well after Quentin
> > left the Risc market he produced a Windows accounts package this
> > was called Accountz and marketed by a company of the same name.
> > Quentin retired a few years ago, but the company has just
> > announced it is closing because of the trading conditions brought
> > on by Covid.

> Thanks for that information, Adrian. I bought the Accountz Home
> package for Windows (and it's extremely good). Today I received an
> email thanking me for my question (which I hadn't asked) and this was
> accompanied by .pdf guides as to how to back up the files and stating
> that the online manuals would soon no longer be maintained, so
> download the bits one needed. (How can you forecast those?!)

> There was no mention that the firm was closing down.

> > I am now pleased I stuck with Prophet and did not migrate. I look
> > forward to some enhancements from Elesar in the future.

> I used to use from 1991 a simple RISC OS program called !BankManager
> (and even once ran the Church accounts on its Windows variant) but it
> eventually proved somewhat clunky, e.g. in printing, so I switched to
> Accountz. Am I to revisit RISC OS with Prophet - I thought that was a
> package for commerce rather than keeping my home bank balance stable?
> Hang on! !Prophet costs 94.80.

> Michael Harding
> Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding riscos@mdharding.org.uk

I manage the accounts for a branch of a charity using Cashbook, a free
program from Steve Fryatt. Yes, I did use Prophet when it first came out,
but I don't need the complexity of managing VAT.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

<e102f13559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1317&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1317

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 22:12:47 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:12 UTC

In message <5935e8711acharles@candehope.me.uk>
charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

> In article <5935e4f375riscos@mdharding.org.uk>,
> M Harding <riscos@mdharding.org.uk> wrote:
>> In article <6cd8de3559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>,
>> Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> You may be aware of Prophet the accounts package originally written
>>> by Quentin Pain and now maintained by Elesar. Well after Quentin
>>> left the Risc market he produced a Windows accounts package this
>>> was called Accountz and marketed by a company of the same name.
>>> Quentin retired a few years ago, but the company has just
>>> announced it is closing because of the trading conditions brought
>>> on by Covid.

>> Thanks for that information, Adrian. I bought the Accountz Home
>> package for Windows (and it's extremely good). Today I received an
>> email thanking me for my question (which I hadn't asked) and this was
>> accompanied by .pdf guides as to how to back up the files and stating
>> that the online manuals would soon no longer be maintained, so
>> download the bits one needed. (How can you forecast those?!)

>> There was no mention that the firm was closing down.

>>> I am now pleased I stuck with Prophet and did not migrate. I look
>>> forward to some enhancements from Elesar in the future.

>> I used to use from 1991 a simple RISC OS program called !BankManager
>> (and even once ran the Church accounts on its Windows variant) but it
>> eventually proved somewhat clunky, e.g. in printing, so I switched to
>> Accountz. Am I to revisit RISC OS with Prophet - I thought that was a
>> package for commerce rather than keeping my home bank balance stable?
>> Hang on! !Prophet costs 94.80.

>> Michael Harding
>> Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding riscos@mdharding.org.uk

> I manage the accounts for a branch of a charity using Cashbook, a free
> program from Steve Fryatt. Yes, I did use Prophet when it first came out,
> but I don't need the complexity of managing VAT.

Indeed the Wakefield Club and Show are run using the superb Cashbook
program from Steve Fryatt, I used to use personal accounts on RISC OS, but
switched to Cashbook instead and imported most data from personal accounts
in to Cashbook back then.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

<ff77f23559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1318&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1318

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 22:28:42 +0100
 by: Adrian Crafer - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:28 UTC

In message <5935e4f375riscos@mdharding.org.uk>
M Harding <riscos@mdharding.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <6cd8de3559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>,
> Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> You may be aware of Prophet the accounts package originally written
>> by Quentin Pain and now maintained by Elesar. Well after Quentin
>> left the Risc market he produced a Windows accounts package this
>> was called Accountz and marketed by a company of the same name.
>> Quentin retired a few years ago, but the company has just
>> announced it is closing because of the trading conditions brought
>> on by Covid.

> Thanks for that information, Adrian. I bought the Accountz Home
> package for Windows (and it's extremely good). Today I received an
> email thanking me for my question (which I hadn't asked) and this was
> accompanied by .pdf guides as to how to back up the files and stating
> that the online manuals would soon no longer be maintained, so
> download the bits one needed. (How can you forecast those?!)

> There was no mention that the firm was closing down.

>> I am now pleased I stuck with Prophet and did not migrate. I look
>> forward to some enhancements from Elesar in the future.

> I used to use from 1991 a simple RISC OS program called !BankManager
> (and even once ran the Church accounts on its Windows variant) but it
> eventually proved somewhat clunky, e.g. in printing, so I switched to
> Accountz. Am I to revisit RISC OS with Prophet - I thought that was a
> package for commerce rather than keeping my home bank balance stable?
> Hang on! !Prophet costs 94.80.

> Michael Harding
> Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding riscos@mdharding.org.uk

It was one of those dreadful two part emails. The plain text bit thanks
you for your question, where as the Html bit has the real email message it
is a pain. The subject of the email to me was "Accountz - **CLOSURE**"

I run a small business so I need the VAT bits. The Steve Fryatt free
program Cash Book is available on Pling Store

Adrian Crafer

--

acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: Closure of a company once associated with RiscOs

<67c8f33559.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1319&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1319

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 22:43:03 +0100
 by: Adrian Crafer - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:43 UTC