Subject: Suddenly reluctant to wake up
From: Robert Peirce
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:46 UTC
From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 11:46:38 -0400
I have a 2012 MacBookPro that works fine except in the last week it has been reluctant to wake up.  I don't seem to have a problem if I log off or shut down the computer but if I'm logged in and go away long enough for the display to go to sleep it may not wake up properly, in one case not at all.

I think this must be a display problem because I have system preferences set to never sleep for the computer but to 10 minutes for the display.

On the latest episode several apps had become non-reponsive for some reason or another.  Eventually they woke up.

What should I try or do?

Subject: Re: Suddenly reluctant to wake up
From: Robert Peirce
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 17:28 UTC
From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:28:19 -0400
View all headers
On 7/25/20 11:46 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
I have a 2012 MacBookPro that works fine except in the last week it has been reluctant to wake up.  I don't seem to have a problem if I log off or shut down the computer but if I'm logged in and go away long enough for the display to go to sleep it may not wake up properly, in one case not at all.

I think this must be a display problem because I have system preferences set to never sleep for the computer but to 10 minutes for the display.

On the latest episode several apps had become non-reponsive for some reason or another.  Eventually they woke up.

What should I try or do?

I'm not sure the display is actually asleep.  I have screen savers that pop up prior to sleep and one of those was up when it froze today,  I eventually got it to notice me.

From: Robert Peirce
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:04 UTC
From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 09:04:21 -0400
On 7/25/20 11:46 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
I have a 2012 MacBookPro that works fine except in the last week it has been reluctant to wake up.  I don't seem to have a problem if I log off or shut down the computer but if I'm logged in and go away long enough for the display to go to sleep it may not wake up properly, in one case not at all.

I think this must be a display problem because I have system preferences set to never sleep for the computer but to 10 minutes for the display.

On the latest episode several apps had become non-reponsive for some reason or another.  Eventually they woke up.

What should I try or do?

This seems to be mostly related to my screen saver files.  It turns out I now have 276!  These are all files I've picked up from APOD that appealed to me.

When I open System Preferences and select "Desktop & Screen Saver" it takes forever to load.  I think I've crossed a critical threshold somewhere.  Does anybody know what that might be?  I could arbitrarily delete some and see what happens but I am hoping somebody knows.