From: tkosf...@gmx.net (TKosfeld)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Subject: MCP Express
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:54:38 -0300
 by: TKosfeld - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 12:54 UTC

If I'm not mistaken, the current version of MCPExpress will expire by
the end of the year.
Any news regarding the next, hopefully updated version ?

Re: MCP Express

<ae974539-9f35-2a4e-46f1-f3e0f15c64cd@digm.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111&group=comp.sys.unisys#111

From: paul.kim...@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Subject: Re: MCP Express
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:18:39 -0800
 by: Paul Kimpel - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 16:18 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:09:32 -0800 (PST)
From: barry.wh...@gmail.com (barry....@gmail.com)
 by: barry....@gmail.com - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:09 UTC

> > If I'm not mistaken, the current version of MCPExpress will expire by
> > the end of the year.
> > Any news regarding the next, hopefully updated version ?
> >
> My understanding is that the MCP Express program is being discontinued,
> and that no further releases or updates are planned. The only
> alternative appears to be purchasing a license for Developer Studio
> Personal Edition.
>
> Paul

I've not seen any formal announcement, but I believe what Paul says to be true. The 5-month extension was purely that - allowing some time to migrate to a paid solution.

It is a very disappointing move. The ability for students - or aged ethusiasts like myself - to have their own free "MCP playground" was a wonderful thing. But I suppose it is a financial decision: I doubt there is any direct benefit to Unisys aside from goodwill, and maybe the prospect of a potential sale somewhere down the line. But that has surely always been the case with this product, so it would be good to understand the reasoning behind the move.

RIP MCP-XE

Re: MCP Express

<da816a9f-7c75-4e5b-bee3-b7f742105c21n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=113&group=comp.sys.unisys#113

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:01:57 -0800 (PST)
From: einar.a....@gmail.com (Einar Flaathe)
 by: Einar Flaathe - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:01 UTC

torsdag 23 december 2021 kl. 18:09:33 UTC+1 skrev barry....@gmail.com:
> > > If I'm not mistaken, the current version of MCPExpress will expire by
> > > the end of the year.
> > > Any news regarding the next, hopefully updated version ?
> > >
> > My understanding is that the MCP Express program is being discontinued,
> > and that no further releases or updates are planned. The only
> > alternative appears to be purchasing a license for Developer Studio
> > Personal Edition.
> >
> > Paul
> I've not seen any formal announcement, but I believe what Paul says to be true. The 5-month extension was purely that - allowing some time to migrate to a paid solution.
>
> It is a very disappointing move. The ability for students - or aged ethusiasts like myself - to have their own free "MCP playground" was a wonderful thing. But I suppose it is a financial decision: I doubt there is any direct benefit to Unisys aside from goodwill, and maybe the prospect of a potential sale somewhere down the line. But that has surely always been the case with this product, so it would be good to understand the reasoning behind the move.
>
> RIP MCP-XE

I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
the following was their response:

The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.

THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!

Einar

Re: MCP Express

<6155c5cf-7e62-445e-bf95-4b8fb621ff6dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=132&group=comp.sys.unisys#132

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 11:02:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: timl...@timlank.com (Tim Lank)
 by: Tim Lank - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:02 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 4:01:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> > > My understanding is that the MCP Express program is being discontinued,
> > > and that no further releases or updates are planned. The only
> > > alternative appears to be purchasing a license for Developer Studio
> > > Personal Edition.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > I've not seen any formal announcement, but I believe what Paul says to be true. The 5-month extension was purely that - allowing some time to migrate to a paid solution.
> >
> > It is a very disappointing move. The ability for students - or aged ethusiasts like myself - to have their own free "MCP playground" was a wonderful thing. But I suppose it is a financial decision: I doubt there is any direct benefit to Unisys aside from goodwill, and maybe the prospect of a potential sale somewhere down the line. But that has surely always been the case with this product, so it would be good to understand the reasoning behind the move.
> >
> > RIP MCP-XE
> I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
> the following was their response:
>
> The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
> The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
> It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
> Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.
>
> THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!
>
> Einar

I too contacted Unisys through a reseller and was quoted the following here in the U.S. for ClearPath MCP Developer Studio Personal Edition - System Type: DE1002

Software: ~$6000
Support for 5 years: ~$2500
Licensing for 5 years: ~$2500
Total: ~$11,000

Unisys will only sell to companies - and no credit cards or personal checks

-Tim

Re: MCP Express

<cdc659a3-f912-476d-a899-ee4a51f4ae89n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=133&group=comp.sys.unisys#133

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramse...@gmail.com (ramseyhere)
 by: ramseyhere - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 01:56 UTC

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 2:02:40 PM UTC-4, Tim Lank wrote:

> > > I've not seen any formal announcement, but I believe what Paul says to be true. The 5-month extension was purely that - allowing some time to migrate to a paid solution.
> > >
> > > It is a very disappointing move. The ability for students - or aged ethusiasts like myself - to have their own free "MCP playground" was a wonderful thing. But I suppose it is a financial decision: I doubt there is any direct benefit to Unisys aside from goodwill, and maybe the prospect of a potential sale somewhere down the line. But that has surely always been the case with this product, so it would be good to understand the reasoning behind the move.
> > >
> > > RIP MCP-XE
> > I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
> > the following was their response:
> >
> > The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
> > The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
> > It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
> > Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.
> >
> > THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!
> >
> > Einar
> I too contacted Unisys through a reseller and was quoted the following here in the U.S. for ClearPath MCP Developer Studio Personal Edition - System Type: DE1002
>
> Software: ~$6000
> Support for 5 years: ~$2500
> Licensing for 5 years: ~$2500
> Total: ~$11,000
>
> Unisys will only sell to companies - and no credit cards or personal checks
>
> -Tim
So, would those interested in purchasing a MCP DevStudio License be willing to be paired up with a VAR/Reseller in order to get a license. Part of the issue is the overhead of creating accounts for individuals to buy something from the company.

Re: MCP Express

<b088c85c-939c-4204-b709-d2c11a103e9an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=136&group=comp.sys.unisys#136

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 21:01:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramse...@gmail.com (ramseyhere)
 by: ramseyhere - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 04:01 UTC

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 9:56:57 PM UTC-4, ramseyhere wrote:
> On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 2:02:40 PM UTC-4, Tim Lank wrote:

> > > I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
> > > the following was their response:
> > >
> > > The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
> > > The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
> > > It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
> > > Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.
> > >
> > > THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!
> > >
> > > Einar
> > I too contacted Unisys through a reseller and was quoted the following here in the U.S. for ClearPath MCP Developer Studio Personal Edition - System Type: DE1002
> >
> > Software: ~$6000
> > Support for 5 years: ~$2500
> > Licensing for 5 years: ~$2500
> > Total: ~$11,000
> >
> > Unisys will only sell to companies - and no credit cards or personal checks
> >
> > -Tim
> So, would those interested in purchasing a MCP DevStudio License be willing to be paired up with a VAR/Reseller in order to get a license. Part of the issue is the overhead of creating accounts for individuals to buy something from the company.
I posted the question about who would be interested in being paired with a Unisys VAR in order to purchase a full copy of MCP Developer Studio. This would be a fully licensed and supported product, much more robust than the MCP Express product previously available. Please feel free to reach out.
ler