From: Wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Initial Monterey Impressions
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 07:44:09 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:44 UTC

Received notification to upgrade the latest Big Sur version on my 2019
iMac to Monterey 12.0.1. Took a couple of hours overnight but it went
smoothly.

Initial impressions: cold boot seems a bit slower; several times,
couldn't Quit out of previously well-behaved Mail app- had to Force
Quit, though now it's OK; otherwise new OS seems fine.

It has a bunch of new features- but none that are of any interest or use
to me. I'd think there are some security updates- and those are always good.

I will say that the default wallpaper pastels certainly are colorful ;-)

In summary: ho-hum...

--
The two worst sounds in the world are Bang! when you were expecting
Click...and Click when your life depended on Bang.

Re: Initial Monterey Impressions

<slrnsnqh36.1h9f.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13226&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13226

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Initial Monterey Impressions
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:11:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:11 UTC

In message <sljb6b$ol0$1@dont-email.me> Wade Garrett <Wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> Received notification to upgrade the latest Big Sur version on my 2019
> iMac to Monterey 12.0.1. Took a couple of hours overnight but it went
> smoothly.

> Initial impressions: cold boot seems a bit slower; several times,
> couldn't Quit out of previously well-behaved Mail app- had to Force
> Quit, though now it's OK; otherwise new OS seems fine.

> It has a bunch of new features- but none that are of any interest or use
> to me.

My favorite feature is probably Tab Groups.

Being able to copy text out of any image is a feature that will surely
be useful to anyone at some time or another. Heck, being able to click
a phone number in an image and call it is phenomenal.

I find the focus modes very useful, myself.

Universal Control, when we get it, will be very useful as well.

LOTS more control over notifications.

Sharing screens over FaceTime will also be useful.

Voice Isolation will be useful for my wife.

FaceTime calls supporting web users.... yes, that's a good one.

Various "Shared With You" features I find useful, especially being able
to access links sent in messages when I am in Safari, especially when
when I do not have to scroll back through several conversations to find
the link I am looking for and being able to add a picture snt to me to
my photos library with a single click.

Shortcut support in macOS is still a bit wonky, but it is possible to
have shortcuts that work on your phone, iPad, and Mac. It definitely
needs more work and should be labeled a beta feature, but it's already
pretty good and obviously the future (RIP Automator).

Private Relay and Hide My email are real nice, and I have been using the
latter for basically everything I register for since it was first added
in the beta.

Better indicators on when apps are using the microphone, and you can now
put a lot more cameras into iCloud Secure Video.

Oh, and being able to have a authorized contact for AppleID account
recovery as well as "Legacy" contacts that can take over your account
when you die.

There's a new Monterey Screen saver that looks amazing on an M1 Pro or M1
Max computer.

--
The King of Marigold was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for the
Queen The Queen was in the parlor playing piano for the children