computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

SubjectAuthor
* Apple garbage collection with cloned startup diskJ Burns
+- Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disknospam
`* Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup diskYour Name
 +- Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disknospam
 `* Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup diskJ Burns
  +* Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disknospam
  |`- Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup diskSnit
  `* Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup diskSteve Carroll
   `- Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup diskSteve Carroll

1
Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<smju7f$tpa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13245&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13245

From: bur...@nospam.com (J Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 15:25:17 -0500
 by: J Burns - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 20:25 UTC

In 2017 I began experiencing an annoying problem. When I put the
computer to sleep, sometimes the display would come back on in six
seconds, and the log wouldn't show that it had ever been asleep. It
didn't seem to be connected with anything in Activity Monitor. Sometimes
the second try would work, but I could go so far as to cycle it through
a safe startup. On the second startup, if I clicked "sleep" instead of
logging on, it might still refuse to sleep.

A year later, the problem migrated to my new computer. It persists
although my hardware and software are almost entirely different from 2017.

Now I remember. The hard drive on my 2012 had become very slow, but a
detailed report showed that it was in excellent shape. I suspected that
defragmentation-on-the-fly wasn't working, and there no longer seemed to
be defrag apps available. Prior to 2012, I used to defrag by cloning,
which also provided redundancy. So I bought a USB SSD, cloned onto it
with CCC, booted with it, and cloned back to my HD.

It worked, but gradually the HD slowed down as if it were again becoming
fragmented. I usually booted from the external SSD.

For my first few months with my 2018 Mini, I cloned back and forth
between the internal SSD and an external one because I liked redundancy.
Now I have a theory. A cloned OS will somehow conflict with Apple's
garbage collection, and this will persist even after a system upgrade.
If I tell the computer to sleep during a scheduled garbage collection, I
think garbage collection vetos sleep about 6 seconds after the screen
goes black.

It's annoying, and there may be worse effects. Should I reinstall the
OS? Should I reinstall from Time Machine, or erase and get it from the
internet? Do I need to write down my Apple password?

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<111120211547472326%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13247&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13247

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 15:47:47 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 20:47 UTC

In article <smju7f$tpa$1@dont-email.me>, J Burns <burns@nospam.com>
wrote:

> In 2017 I began experiencing an annoying problem. When I put the
> computer to sleep, sometimes the display would come back on in six
> seconds, and the log wouldn't show that it had ever been asleep. It
> didn't seem to be connected with anything in Activity Monitor. Sometimes
> the second try would work, but I could go so far as to cycle it through
> a safe startup. On the second startup, if I clicked "sleep" instead of
> logging on, it might still refuse to sleep.

i had that happen once. a reboot fixed it.

> A year later, the problem migrated to my new computer. It persists
> although my hardware and software are almost entirely different from 2017.

coincidence.

> Now I remember. The hard drive on my 2012 had become very slow, but a
> detailed report showed that it was in excellent shape. I suspected that
> defragmentation-on-the-fly wasn't working,

it was, and not the cause.

> and there no longer seemed to
> be defrag apps available.

that's because such apps are useless.

> Prior to 2012, I used to defrag by cloning,

there is zero need to manually defrag except in very specific
circumstances, which are very rare given the speed of modern hard
drives.

> which also provided redundancy. So I bought a USB SSD, cloned onto it
> with CCC, booted with it, and cloned back to my HD.
>
> It worked, but gradually the HD slowed down as if it were again becoming
> fragmented. I usually booted from the external SSD.

fragmentation hasn't been an issue in years and is definitely not the
cause of random wakes.

> For my first few months with my 2018 Mini, I cloned back and forth
> between the internal SSD and an external one because I liked redundancy.

backups are always a good idea.

> Now I have a theory. A cloned OS will somehow conflict with Apple's
> garbage collection, and this will persist even after a system upgrade.

that theory is incorrect.

> If I tell the computer to sleep during a scheduled garbage collection, I
> think garbage collection vetos sleep about 6 seconds after the screen
> goes black.

coincidence

> It's annoying, and there may be worse effects. Should I reinstall the
> OS? Should I reinstall from Time Machine, or erase and get it from the
> internet?

only if you have a lot of free time and absolutely nothing better to do.

> Do I need to write down my Apple password?

it should be in a password manager.

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<smk8ng$t7u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13253&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13253

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:24:32 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 23:24 UTC

On 2021-11-11 20:25:17 +0000, J Burns said:

> In 2017 I began experiencing an annoying problem. When I put the
> computer to sleep, sometimes the display would come back on in six
> seconds, and the log wouldn't show that it had ever been asleep. It
> didn't seem to be connected with anything in Activity Monitor.
> Sometimes the second try would work, but I could go so far as to cycle
> it through a safe startup. On the second startup, if I clicked "sleep"
> instead of logging on, it might still refuse to sleep.
>
> A year later, the problem migrated to my new computer. It persists
> although my hardware and software are almost entirely different from
> 2017.
>
> Now I remember. The hard drive on my 2012 had become very slow, but a
> detailed report showed that it was in excellent shape. I suspected that
> defragmentation-on-the-fly wasn't working, and there no longer seemed
> to be defrag apps available. Prior to 2012, I used to defrag by
> cloning, which also provided redundancy. So I bought a USB SSD, cloned
> onto it with CCC, booted with it, and cloned back to my HD.
>
> It worked, but gradually the HD slowed down as if it were again
> becoming fragmented. I usually booted from the external SSD.
>
> For my first few months with my 2018 Mini, I cloned back and forth
> between the internal SSD and an external one because I liked
> redundancy. Now I have a theory. A cloned OS will somehow conflict with
> Apple's garbage collection, and this will persist even after a system
> upgrade. If I tell the computer to sleep during a scheduled garbage
> collection, I think garbage collection vetos sleep about 6 seconds
> after the screen goes black.
>
> It's annoying, and there may be worse effects. Should I reinstall the
> OS? Should I reinstall from Time Machine, or erase and get it from the
> internet? Do I need to write down my Apple password?

Two other possibilities ...

Sometimes when I put my Mac to sleep, it will wake up almost instantly.
The cause for is likely the mouse moving slightly (maybe as I let go or
move the chair back under the desk) and reawakening it. It usually
works properly the second attempt though.

Another may be Spotlight indexing. Make sure the cloned drive is in the
list to be excluded. Also exclude it from Time Machine (there's little
point in also backing up a clone of the drive that's already backing up
- other than perhaps double-redundancy).

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<111120211935180336%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13255&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13255

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 19:35:18 -0500
 by: nospam - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 00:35 UTC

In article <smk8ng$t7u$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Sometimes when I put my Mac to sleep, it will wake up almost instantly.
> The cause for is likely the mouse moving slightly (maybe as I let go or
> move the chair back under the desk) and reawakening it. It usually
> works properly the second attempt though.

only if it's a non-compliant mouse.

> Another may be Spotlight indexing. Make sure the cloned drive is in the
> list to be excluded. Also exclude it from Time Machine (there's little
> point in also backing up a clone of the drive that's already backing up
> - other than perhaps double-redundancy).

definitely not.

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<sml6f8$r36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13256&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13256

From: bur...@nospam.com (J Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 02:52:06 -0500
 by: J Burns - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:52 UTC

On 11/11/21 6:24 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-11-11 20:25:17 +0000, J Burns said:
>>
>> In 2017 I began experiencing an annoying problem. When I put the
>> computer to sleep, sometimes the display would come back on in six
>> seconds, and the log wouldn't show that it had ever been asleep. It
>> didn't seem to be connected with anything in Activity Monitor.
>> Sometimes the second try would work, but I could go so far as to cycle
>> it through a safe startup. On the second startup, if I clicked "sleep"
>> instead of logging on, it might still refuse to sleep.
>>
>> A year later, the problem migrated to my new computer. It persists
>> although my hardware and software are almost entirely different from
>> 2017.
>>
>> Now I remember. The hard drive on my 2012 had become very slow, but a
>> detailed report showed that it was in excellent shape. I suspected
>> that defragmentation-on-the-fly wasn't working, and there no longer
>> seemed to be defrag apps available. Prior to 2012, I used to defrag by
>> cloning, which also provided redundancy. So I bought a USB SSD, cloned
>> onto it with CCC, booted with it, and cloned back to my HD.
>>
>> It worked, but gradually the HD slowed down as if it were again
>> becoming fragmented. I usually booted from the external SSD.
>>
>> For my first few months with my 2018 Mini, I cloned back and forth
>> between the internal SSD and an external one because I liked
>> redundancy. Now I have a theory. A cloned OS will somehow conflict
>> with Apple's garbage collection, and this will persist even after a
>> system upgrade. If I tell the computer to sleep during a scheduled
>> garbage collection, I think garbage collection vetos sleep about 6
>> seconds after the screen goes black.
>>
>> It's annoying, and there may be worse effects. Should I reinstall the
>> OS? Should I reinstall from Time Machine, or erase and get it from the
>> internet? Do I need to write down my Apple password?
>
> Two other possibilities ...
>
> Sometimes when I put my Mac to sleep, it will wake up almost instantly.
> The cause for is likely the mouse moving slightly (maybe as I let go or
> move the chair back under the desk) and reawakening it. It usually works
> properly the second attempt though.
>
> Another may be Spotlight indexing. Make sure the cloned drive is in the
> list to be excluded. Also exclude it from Time Machine (there's little
> point in also backing up a clone of the drive that's already backing up
> - other than perhaps double-redundancy).

Thanks. Before 2017, if a Mac woke unexpectedly, it wouldn't necessarily
be 6 seconds after I told it to sleep, and the log would say it had been
waked, usually by a USB device, probably the mouse. In the current
problem, the log never says it was waked, so I guess it wasn't asleep.

Naturally, I need Spotlight to keep my startup drive indexed. I quit
using clones as backups in 2019, so I also need Time Machine to keep my
startup drive backed up. When I've had trouble, I've checked Activity
Monitor and haven't found backupd or a stored to be active.

There was a peculiarity under OS 11. When I had trouble, I would find
that when I clicked S[eep, suggestd had jumped to "175% CPU." If I
killed the process, clicking Sleep would wake it, so it was an effect,
not the cause. It doesn't happen under OS 12, and it didn't happen under
OS X.

An OS may know the logical location of files but not their physical
location on an SSD. The SSD knows the physical location of data but not
what files it belongs to. TRIM allows an OS to tell an SSD what data has
been deleted. It sounds as if in this case, the OS keeps track of the
physical location of data. Perhaps Apple doesn't support TRIM for
third-party SSDs because it may not know where an unfamiliar SSD puts data.

When CCC copies an OS onto an SSD, it seems that the OS on the SSD can't
be aware of the physical location of the files on the SSD. In effect,
cloning turns an OEM SSD into a third-party SSD, and Apple won't enable
TRIM. Without TRIM, I guess in the event of Sleep, it can't tell the SSD
to cease garbage collection. Would it be a calamity if the computer went
to sleep during garbage collection?

My theory is that sometimes my Mac won't sleep because the OS is waiting
for the SSD to finish garbage collection, a process the OS can't
interrupt without TRIM. If I erased my SSD to make a fresh install of OS
12, maybe I'd have TRIM.

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<121120210721323452%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13257&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13257

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:21:32 -0500
 by: nospam - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:21 UTC

In article <sml6f8$r36$1@dont-email.me>, J Burns <burns@nospam.com>
wrote:

> An OS may know the logical location of files but not their physical
> location on an SSD. The SSD knows the physical location of data but not
> what files it belongs to.

that is normal and not an issue whatsoever.

> TRIM allows an OS to tell an SSD what data has
> been deleted. It sounds as if in this case, the OS keeps track of the
> physical location of data.

it does not.

> Perhaps Apple doesn't support TRIM for
> third-party SSDs because it may not know where an unfamiliar SSD puts data.

nope, it's because some ssds have poor implementations of trim, which
can potentially cause data loss. apple does not want to test every
single ssd out there to be sure it works properly.

> When CCC copies an OS onto an SSD, it seems that the OS on the SSD can't
> be aware of the physical location of the files on the SSD.

that does not matter at all.

> In effect,
> cloning turns an OEM SSD into a third-party SSD,

no it doesn't.

> and Apple won't enable
> TRIM.

trim is not needed on modern ssds, however, it can be enabled if the
user really wants it.

> Without TRIM, I guess in the event of Sleep, it can't tell the SSD
> to cease garbage collection. Would it be a calamity if the computer went
> to sleep during garbage collection?

nope. that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. it will resume
when the computer wakes, just as everything else does.

> My theory is that sometimes my Mac won't sleep because the OS is waiting
> for the SSD to finish garbage collection, a process the OS can't
> interrupt without TRIM. If I erased my SSD to make a fresh install of OS
> 12, maybe I'd have TRIM.

that theory has no basis in reality.

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<ad9abe12-a121-47c8-9450-f01c62b38954n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13289&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13289

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 03:15:37 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Snit)
 by: Snit - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 11:15 UTC

On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 5:21:37 AM UTC-7, nospam wrote:
> In article <sml6f8$r36$1...@dont-email.me>, J Burns <bu...@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>

> > An OS may know the logical location of files but not their physical
> > location on an SSD. The SSD knows the physical location of data but not
> > what files it belongs to.
> that is normal and not an issue whatsoever.
> > TRIM allows an OS to tell an SSD what data has
> > been deleted. It sounds as if in this case, the OS keeps track of the
> > physical location of data.
> it does not.
> > Perhaps Apple doesn't support TRIM for
> > third-party SSDs because it may not know where an unfamiliar SSD puts data.
> nope, it's because some ssds have poor implementations of trim, which
> can potentially cause data loss. apple does not want to test every
> single ssd out there to be sure it works properly.
> > When CCC copies an OS onto an SSD, it seems that the OS on the SSD can't
> > be aware of the physical location of the files on the SSD.
> that does not matter at all.
> > In effect,
> > cloning turns an OEM SSD into a third-party SSD,
> no it doesn't.
> > and Apple won't enable
> > TRIM.
> trim is not needed on modern ssds, however, it can be enabled if the
> user really wants it.
> > Without TRIM, I guess in the event of Sleep, it can't tell the SSD
> > to cease garbage collection. Would it be a calamity if the computer went
> > to sleep during garbage collection?
> nope. that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. it will resume
> when the computer wakes, just as everything else does.
> > My theory is that sometimes my Mac won't sleep because the OS is waiting
> > for the SSD to finish garbage collection, a process the OS can't
> > interrupt without TRIM. If I erased my SSD to make a fresh install of OS
> > 12, maybe I'd have TRIM.
> that theory has no basis in reality.

Keep in mind your accusation is based on you not understanding context.
Your game:

* Snit spoke of Dustin Cook having Carroll's flood bot code .
* Dustin Cook does not have Carroll's flood bot code.

Then you insist I lied. But you leave out the context.

1) Snit spoke of Carroll's flood bot code, and what can be known without
the code
2) Dustin Cook responded by speaking of what he can know HAVING THE CODE.
3) Snit spoke of Dustin Cook having Carroll's flood bot code.
4) Dustin Cook does not have Carroll's flood bot code.

You start at step three and then insist that if one starts there it LOOKS
like you were unfairly accused.

In short: you prove yourself a functionally illiterate fraud again.

--
This broke the Internet
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dustin%20Cook%20functional%20illiterate%20fraud

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<9f40258b-2eeb-47ef-9a95-471e49bba377n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13301&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13301

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:58:04 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Steve Carroll)
 by: Steve Carroll - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 05:58 UTC

On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 12:52:12 AM UTC-7, J Burns wrote:
> [...]
> been deleted. It sounds as if in this case, the OS keeps track of the
> physical location of data. Perhaps Apple doesn't support TRIM for
> third-party SSDs because it may not know where an unfamiliar SSD puts data.
>
> When CCC copies an OS onto an SSD, it seems that the OS on the SSD can't
> be aware of the physical location of the files on the SSD. In effect,
> cloning turns an OEM SSD into a third-party SSD, and Apple won't enable
> TRIM. Without TRIM, I guess in the event of Sleep, it can't tell the SSD
> to cease garbage collection. Would it be a calamity if the computer went
> to sleep during garbage collection?
>
> My theory is that sometimes my Mac won't sleep because the OS is waiting
> for the SSD to finish garbage collection, a process the OS can't
> interrupt without TRIM. If I erased my SSD to make a fresh install of OS

This is something you merely pretend to understand.

Over and over, the surface request is Larry Washington wants to "talk
tech", but Larry Washington spends most of his time whining about "trolling".

Do you have a high school diploma?

The entire farce is brimming of unbelievable inconsistencies and counts
heavily on Larry Washington's 'home made CMS' nonsense. How many more
chances does Larry Washington's stupid arse (a brick knows more than Larry
Washington and is useful) need to prove their FromTheRafters sock accusation
with evidence?

Larry Washington claimed the headers were entirely consistent with many
of the forgeries. Interesting, why is he having such a struggle backing
his assertion up when asked to do so? In other words, if his statement
was supportable, and not just a weak attempt to come to FromTheRafterss
rescue? Larry Washington suffers from neurotic fantasies so, to him, everything,
even people ignoring him, are "slander". Who DOESN'T know this?

-
Eight things to never feed your cat!
http://techrights.org/2011/07/24/gnu-linux-macosx-by-michael-glasser-
roy-schestowitz-and-goblin-on-techbytes/
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+the+narcissistic+bigot
https://swisscows.com/web?query=dustin%20cook%20%22functionally%20illiterate%20fraud%22
Dustin Cook is a functionally illiterate fraud

Re: Apple garbage collection with cloned startup disk

<034fa860-9269-428a-85d7-d76141f5a41cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13306&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13306

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 08:54:30 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Steve Carroll)
 by: Steve Carroll - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 16:54 UTC

On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 10:58:06 PM UTC-7, Steve Carroll wrote:
> [...]
> with evidence?
>
> Larry Washington claimed the headers were entirely consistent with many
> of the forgeries. Interesting, why is he having such a struggle backing
> his assertion up when asked to do so? In other words, if his statement
> was supportable, and not just a weak attempt to come to FromTheRafterss
> rescue? Larry Washington suffers from neurotic fantasies so, to him, everything,
> even people ignoring him, are "slander". Who DOESN'T know this?
>

> -
> Eight things to never feed your cat!
> http://techrights.org/2011/07/24/gnu-linux-macosx-by-michael-glasser-
> roy-schestowitz-and-goblin-on-techbytes/
> https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+the+narcissistic+bigot
> https://swisscows.com/web?query=dustin%20cook%20%22functionally%20illiterate%20fraud%22
> Dustin Cook is a functionally illiterate fraud

Theo must understand that Snit can go get Access, right, sicko? Add to that,
anyone can filter his posts, which renders his kiddie crap impotent, just
like Theo.

I just configured an automation and won't be impacted by the flooding. Theo's
crap has made a total ruin of COLA via GG, so I don't endeavor posting to
your posts with my desktop anymore. One thing he has achieved with this crap
is that the Theo plonk has been shown to clearly be the right thing. Too
many individuals keep replying to Theo. In truth I do not denounce Snit for
being pissed but I do not conceive why he posts here now that he gets what
this place is. Snit is more interested in dialog as seen in an IRC venue
and free forums will just lead to frustration.

--
Live on Kickstarter!!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22