If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law. -- Roy Santoro

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Scanning something actual size.

SubjectAuthor
* Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
+* Re: Scanning something actual size.News
|+* Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
||`* Re: Scanning something actual size.News
|| `- Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
|`* Re: Scanning something actual size.druck
| `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
|  `- Re: Scanning something actual size.druck
`* Re: Scanning something actual size.Stuart
 `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
  `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Stuart
   `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
    `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Stuart
     `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
      `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Stuart
       `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Dave Plowman (News)
        `* Re: Scanning something actual size.Theo
         `- Re: Scanning something actual size.Len

1
Scanning something actual size.

<593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1328&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1328

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Scanning something actual size.
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:04:59 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:04 UTC

On occasion, I've wished to copy a PCB. Using the trusty old Epson GT9500
and DPingScan, I could scan it and drop it straight into ProCad+ and it
was exact real size. Then do the artwork for a copy.

But now, with an Epson XP 415, any scan has to be done on the dark side
and transferred to ProCad+. And have the file changed to a Sprite too.
Using DPingScan. Native is Tiff, BMP, or JPEG. and always has to be
re-sized, and often impossible to get spot on.

Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d021285chrisjohnson@spamcop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1329&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1329

From: chrisjoh...@spamcop.net (News)
Subject: Re: Scanning something actual size.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 15:32:33 +0100
 by: News - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:32 UTC

In article <593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

Have you checked the dpi of the scan? The dark side often defaults to
72 dpi, whereas RISC OS assumes 90 dpi as default, (I think sprites
can only be multiples of 45 dpi, i.e. 45, 90, 180 dpi).

Look at the original dpi in DPScan before converting to a sprite -
you may have to scale it by 90/72 before converting.

--
Chris Johnson

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d0a551fdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1330&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1330

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 17:02:46 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:02 UTC

In article <593d021285chrisjohnson@spamcop.net>,
News <chrisjohnson@spamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

> Have you checked the dpi of the scan? The dark side often defaults to
> 72 dpi, whereas RISC OS assumes 90 dpi as default, (I think sprites
> can only be multiples of 45 dpi, i.e. 45, 90, 180 dpi).

Thanks. The only multiple of 45 I can find on the scanner is 720dpi.

> Look at the original dpi in DPScan before converting to a sprite -
> you may have to scale it by 90/72 before converting.

Right. I'll try that. Although I'd like a rather higher resolution.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<saakfh$fdd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1331&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1331

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 17:28:33 +0100
 by: druck - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:28 UTC

On 15/06/2021 15:32, News wrote:
> In article <593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>> Any suggestions on how to make this easier?
>
> Have you checked the dpi of the scan? The dark side often defaults to
> 72 dpi, whereas RISC OS assumes 90 dpi as default, (I think sprites
> can only be multiples of 45 dpi, i.e. 45, 90, 180 dpi).

Those are the nominal dpi's of the screen on Windows and RISC OS. For a
scan you should set the dpi of the image file to match what the scanner
has been set to. e.g. 300

---druck

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d0e449fchrisjohnson@spamcop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1332&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1332

From: chrisjoh...@spamcop.net (News)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 17:45:45 +0100
 by: News - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:45 UTC

In article <593d0a551fdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> Right. I'll try that. Although I'd like a rather higher resolution.

OK Dave. I think if you are using sprite format you are limited in
the available dpi.

What are the allowable scan dpis on the scanner? My old Epson allowed
180, 360, 720 dpi among others. I think you have to allow for the
fact that the sprite format allows only a limited number of dpis and
will default to 90dpi if not told otherwise.

Investigate the following. If you scan at say 360 dpi, then scaling
by two before converting to sprite will allow a sprite of 180 dpi at
'real' size. I assume ProCad will deal with sprites that are not the
default 90 dpi. Scanning at 720 dpi would need a scaling of four.

--
Chris Johnson

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d318c25dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1333&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1333

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 00:11:06 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 23:11 UTC

In article <saakfh$fdd$1@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 15/06/2021 15:32, News wrote:
> > In article <593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> > Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Any suggestions on how to make this easier?
> >
> > Have you checked the dpi of the scan? The dark side often defaults to
> > 72 dpi, whereas RISC OS assumes 90 dpi as default, (I think sprites
> > can only be multiples of 45 dpi, i.e. 45, 90, 180 dpi).

> Those are the nominal dpi's of the screen on Windows and RISC OS. For a
> scan you should set the dpi of the image file to match what the scanner
> has been set to. e.g. 300

To load into ProCad+, it has to be a Sprite. If I set DPingScan to the dpi
the scanner is set to and then save that out as a Sprite, the size is
wrong in ProCad.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d32270cdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1334&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1334

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 00:17:43 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 23:17 UTC

In article <593d0e449fchrisjohnson@spamcop.net>,
News <chrisjohnson@spamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <593d0a551fdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > Right. I'll try that. Although I'd like a rather higher resolution.

> OK Dave. I think if you are using sprite format you are limited in
> the available dpi.

> What are the allowable scan dpis on the scanner? My old Epson allowed
> 180, 360, 720 dpi among others. I think you have to allow for the
> fact that the sprite format allows only a limited number of dpis and
> will default to 90dpi if not told otherwise.

> Investigate the following. If you scan at say 360 dpi, then scaling
> by two before converting to sprite will allow a sprite of 180 dpi at
> 'real' size. I assume ProCad will deal with sprites that are not the
> default 90 dpi. Scanning at 720 dpi would need a scaling of four.

A problem with ProCad if trying to match the size in that is the minimum
change up or down is 0.1. Although I've not tried enlarging by 72 then
reducing by 90 (or whatever) I'm not sure the memory would cope with that.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d62876dSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1335&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1335

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 09:06:07 +0100
 by: Stuart - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 08:06 UTC

In article <593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> On occasion, I've wished to copy a PCB. Using the trusty old Epson GT9500
> and DPingScan, I could scan it and drop it straight into ProCad+ and it
> was exact real size. Then do the artwork for a copy.

> But now, with an Epson XP 415, any scan has to be done on the dark side
> and transferred to ProCad+. And have the file changed to a Sprite too.
> Using DPingScan. Native is Tiff, BMP, or JPEG. and always has to be
> re-sized, and often impossible to get spot on.

> Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

I scan to JPEG, load into !Openvector and trace. I then load into Draw+
and make any ammendments I wish to make.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d7eec5fdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1336&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1336

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 14:16:15 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 13:16 UTC

In article <593d62876dSpambin@argonet.co.uk>,
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593cfa0e54dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > On occasion, I've wished to copy a PCB. Using the trusty old Epson GT9500
> > and DPingScan, I could scan it and drop it straight into ProCad+ and it
> > was exact real size. Then do the artwork for a copy.

> > But now, with an Epson XP 415, any scan has to be done on the dark side
> > and transferred to ProCad+. And have the file changed to a Sprite too.
> > Using DPingScan. Native is Tiff, BMP, or JPEG. and always has to be
> > re-sized, and often impossible to get spot on.

> > Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

> I scan to JPEG, load into !Openvector and trace. I then load into Draw+
> and make any ammendments I wish to make.

Does Draw+ produce the Gerber files needed for auto production?

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<sad5fu$kgi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1337&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1337

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 16:31:10 +0100
 by: druck - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:31 UTC

> In article <saakfh$fdd$1@dont-email.me>,
> druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>> Those are the nominal dpi's of the screen on Windows and RISC OS. For a
>> scan you should set the dpi of the image file to match what the scanner
>> has been set to. e.g. 300
>
> To load into ProCad+, it has to be a Sprite. If I set DPingScan to the dpi
> the scanner is set to and then save that out as a Sprite, the size is
> wrong in ProCad.

Then just scale the sprite by <screen dpi>/<scanner dpi> e.g. 90/300

I don't know about ProCad, lots of apps have two boxes for scale which
you can enter 90 and 300 into, other wise convert to either a percentage
or a decimal e.g. 30% or 0.3

---druck

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d90fe0fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1338&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1338

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 17:33:37 +0100
 by: Stuart - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 16:33 UTC

In article <593d7eec5fdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > I scan to JPEG, load into !Openvector and trace. I then load into Draw+
> > and make any ammendments I wish to make.

> Does Draw+ produce the Gerber files needed for auto production?

No but draw files can be loaded into ProCad+

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593d95a87edave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1339&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1339

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 18:24:35 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 17:24 UTC

In article <593d90fe0fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>,
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593d7eec5fdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I scan to JPEG, load into !Openvector and trace. I then load into Draw+
> > > and make any ammendments I wish to make.

> > Does Draw+ produce the Gerber files needed for auto production?

> No but draw files can be loaded into ProCad+

They can, but I like Procad.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593e245b89Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1341&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1341

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 20:23:14 +0100
 by: Stuart - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 19:23 UTC

In article <593d95a87edave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593d90fe0fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>,
> Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Does Draw+ produce the Gerber files needed for auto production?

> > No but draw files can be loaded into ProCad+

> They can, but I like Procad.

I use it too, different software has different attributes, strong points
and uses.

I was simply suggesting an alternative route that might solve your issue.

Personally, I still produce all my PCBs from masks I print out from Draw+

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593e39410adave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1342&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1342

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 00:11:29 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:11 UTC

In article <593e245b89Spambin@argonet.co.uk>,
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593d95a87edave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <593d90fe0fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>,
> > Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > No but draw files can be loaded into ProCad+

> > They can, but I like Procad.

> I use it too, different software has different attributes, strong points
> and uses.

> I was simply suggesting an alternative route that might solve your issue.

> Personally, I still produce all my PCBs from masks I print out from Draw+

Any draw prog is OK for that. So the one you prefer best of all.
But since it's now so cheap to get PCBs made from a Gerber file I've given
up doing it at home.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593e6d4798Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1343&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1343

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:39:44 +0100
 by: Stuart - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 08:39 UTC

In article <593e39410adave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > Personally, I still produce all my PCBs from masks I print out from
> > Draw+

> Any draw prog is OK for that. So the one you prefer best of all. But
> since it's now so cheap to get PCBs made from a Gerber file I've given
> up doing it at home.

To an extent you are correct but to me the advantages of Draw+ are:

1) a 0.1" grid matrix visible on the screen and the ability to lock to a
fraction of the grid. For example, when laying out IC pads I lock to the
0.1 and when laying tracks I usually lock to grid/4, i.e. 0.025, though
almost any fraction is possible. Internally, the programme records
positions in O.S. units and I can, if necessary, swap the grid between
inch and metric on the same drawing without anything moving.

2) Layers so that I can have "copper side" tracks on one layer,
"component side" tracks on another layer, components on a different layer
and so on. I build up all PCBs as if looking down on the component layer
then separate and reverse the "component side" track layer before printing.

3) Libraries of component footprints which allow the instant placing of,
for example, pads for ICs and I have built up an extensive library already.

I know much, if not all, of this can be done with Procad but I have always
found moving stuff around the screen to a new position with Procad to be
far, far, more difficult.

!Open Vector, which I mentioned, can also do much of the above but does
not have quite the same facilities regarding the grid. On the other hand,
it can load and manipulate JPEGs directly allowing easy tracing of
magazine track layouts.

I've never considered the idea of getting PCBs made though I can see many
advantages in doing so. What would be the cost of a typical double-sided
100x220mm board?

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<593e876073dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1345&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1345

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:24:47 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:24 UTC

In article <593e6d4798Spambin@argonet.co.uk>,
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593e39410adave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Personally, I still produce all my PCBs from masks I print out from
> > > Draw+

> > Any draw prog is OK for that. So the one you prefer best of all. But
> > since it's now so cheap to get PCBs made from a Gerber file I've given
> > up doing it at home.

> To an extent you are correct but to me the advantages of Draw+ are:

> 1) a 0.1" grid matrix visible on the screen and the ability to lock to a
> fraction of the grid. For example, when laying out IC pads I lock to the
> 0.1 and when laying tracks I usually lock to grid/4, i.e. 0.025, though
> almost any fraction is possible. Internally, the programme records
> positions in O.S. units and I can, if necessary, swap the grid between
> inch and metric on the same drawing without anything moving.

ProCad much the same. I find 20 devisions per inch the grid I use most. As
I'm not making tiny stuff - just discrete components.

> 2) Layers so that I can have "copper side" tracks on one layer,
> "component side" tracks on another layer, components on a different
> layer and so on. I build up all PCBs as if looking down on the component
> layer then separate and reverse the "component side" track layer before
> printing.

Same here.

> 3) Libraries of component footprints which allow the instant placing
> of, for example, pads for ICs and I have built up an extensive library
> already.

Indeed.

> I know much, if not all, of this can be done with Procad but I have
> always found moving stuff around the screen to a new position with
> Procad to be far, far, more difficult.

How, exactly? If transferring from another drawing, you can get the datum
point? being a bit odd. But simply group it in the new drawing and give it
a new datum point.

> !Open Vector, which I mentioned, can also do much of the above but does
> not have quite the same facilities regarding the grid. On the other hand,
> it can load and manipulate JPEGs directly allowing easy tracing of
> magazine track layouts.

ProCad has the benefit of generating industry standard files (DXF) which
makes it easy to share with the dark side. As well as Gerber.

I've got Draw+ and DWXL hear both of which I've used in the past. Just why
I now go straight to ProCad+, I'm not sure. As both of the others have
some unique nice features too. The devil you know.

> I've never considered the idea of getting PCBs made though I can see many
> advantages in doing so. What would be the cost of a typical double-sided
> 100x220mm board?

Not had any made recently. But getting a double sided or layered board,
ready drilled, with printed legends and solder resist coated is simply
something I can't do at home.

Google will find you plenty of prices. Obviously the price per unit comes
down drastically with quantity.

Of course I'm getting old, so the fiddle of making my own from scratch not
so appealing as once.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<wXB*XMYmy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1346&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1346

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: 18 Jun 2021 14:59:34 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:59 UTC

"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593e6d4798Spambin@argonet.co.uk>,
> Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've never considered the idea of getting PCBs made though I can see many
> > advantages in doing so. What would be the cost of a typical double-sided
> > 100x220mm board?
>
> Not had any made recently. But getting a double sided or layered board,
> ready drilled, with printed legends and solder resist coated is simply
> something I can't do at home.
>
> Google will find you plenty of prices. Obviously the price per unit comes
> down drastically with quantity.

We put most of ours through jlcpcb.com, who are based in Shenzhen. Shipping
is usually a few weeks from China, although we usually pay more for DHL
shipping.

100x220 is quite large, but for double sided they quote $12.80 for 5 pieces
and $7.44 for shipping (8-20 business days). It's another $11.44 for DHL
Express (4-6 business days). Roundtrip with DHL including manufacturing and
shipping time is usually about 10 calendar days (ie order Sunday night of
week 1, arrive by Friday of week 2, bearing in mind they're 8 hours ahead).

Quality is good - not like some bargain-basement Chinese boards you might
find. Their solder stencils are good too. They have 4 and 6 layer flows at
a modest price bump should you need them.

They do assembly, but we haven't used them for that (yet). They also have a
components arm are called lcsc.com who are a bit like a Chinese Farnell, and
they can bundle components in with your PCB order.

> Of course I'm getting old, so the fiddle of making my own from scratch not
> so appealing as once.

At those prices it's not worth the hassle of making your own, unless you're
in a great hurry.

Theo

Re: Scanning something actual size.

<4d9bfaba-cfdd-4115-8954-c809667f78edn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1816&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1816

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 23:38:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: xiaoming...@gmail.com (Len)
 by: Len - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 06:38 UTC

在 2021年6月18日星期五 UTC+8 21:59:37,<Theo> 写道:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <593e6d47...@argonet.co.uk>,
> > Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I've never considered the idea of getting PCBs made though I can see many
> > > advantages in doing so. What would be the cost of a typical double-sided
> > > 100x220mm board?
> >
> > Not had any made recently. But getting a double sided or layered board,
> > ready drilled, with printed legends and solder resist coated is simply
> > something I can't do at home.
> >
> > Google will find you plenty of prices. Obviously the price per unit comes
> > down drastically with quantity.
> We put most of ours through jlcpcb.com, who are based in Shenzhen. Shipping
> is usually a few weeks from China, although we usually pay more for DHL
> shipping.
>
> 100x220 is quite large, but for double sided they quote $12.80 for 5 pieces
> and $7.44 for shipping (8-20 business days). It's another $11.44 for DHL
> Express (4-6 business days). Roundtrip with DHL including manufacturing and
> shipping time is usually about 10 calendar days (ie order Sunday night of
> week 1, arrive by Friday of week 2, bearing in mind they're 8 hours ahead).
>
> Quality is good - not like some bargain-basement Chinese boards you might
> find. Their solder stencils are good too. They have 4 and 6 layer flows at
> a modest price bump should you need them.
>
> They do assembly, but we haven't used them for that (yet). They also have a
> components arm are called lcsc.com who are a bit like a Chinese Farnell, and
> they can bundle components in with your PCB order.
> > Of course I'm getting old, so the fiddle of making my own from scratch not
> > so appealing as once.
> At those prices it's not worth the hassle of making your own, unless you're
> in a great hurry.
>
> Theo
I also purchased some parts on chimicron.com, and they will be shipped on the same day as the order. Shipping is also fast!