From: fork...@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: reusing slacklive usb stick for install
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:21:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:21 UTC

Seems to fail trying to re-use the same slacklive usb stick
for several installs. Problem turns out to be that it fills
up the usb stick 100% with messages, then complains about
"memory" and hangs. If the usb stick is /dev/sdX and you
mount /dev/sdX3 /mnt/usb/ then cd /mnt/usb/persistence/var/log/
then the two files messages and syslog seem to be the culprits.
What I did was cat /dev/null > messages and cat /dev/null > syslog
but I haven't yet tried to use that stick again for an install.

Will the above procedure work, and let me reuse the stick for install?
And is there another way around the problem? I was thinking about
rm'ing those two files and just symlinking them to /dev/null.
Will that work "permanently", rather than having to empty them out
each time?
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: reusing slacklive usb stick for install

<t9j8cc$kik$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1330&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1330

From: fork...@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: reusing slacklive usb stick for install
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 04:21:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 04:21 UTC

John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
> Seems to fail trying to re-use the same slacklive usb stick
> for several installs. Problem turns out to be that it fills
> up the usb stick 100% with messages, then complains about
> "memory" and hangs. If the usb stick is /dev/sdX and you
> mount /dev/sdX3 /mnt/usb/ then cd /mnt/usb/persistence/var/log/
> then the two files messages and syslog seem to be the culprits.
> What I did was cat /dev/null > messages and cat /dev/null > syslog
> but I haven't yet tried to use that stick again for an install.
>
> Will the above procedure work, and let me reuse the stick for install?
> And is there another way around the problem? I was thinking about
> rm'ing those two files and just symlinking them to /dev/null.
> Will that work "permanently", rather than having to empty them out
> each time?

Solved: turns out /var/log/syslog and messages were filling up with
about 100MB/sec of error messages due to a relatively common hardware
"glitch", as soon as dhcpcd starts in my case. And I'm assuming it's
a relatively common glitch because I was able to google a solution:
append="...pci=nommconf..."
added to the kernel options. That completely and immediately cleared
everything up. No more error messages whatsoever.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )