From: candyc...@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN AUGUST 2023?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 08:31:56 +1300
 by: candycane - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:31 UTC

SH> What Have You Been Playing... IN AUGUST 2023?

Crypt of the Necrodancer. And ss13 (tho there were some server issues)

---------------

.... void Void(void) { Void() } /* The recursive call of the void */
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN AUGUST 2023?

<udggqe$3p2b5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13348&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13348

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 19:12:44 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 01:12 UTC

>SH> What Have You Been Playing... IN AUGUST 2023?
>Crypt of the Necrodancer. And ss13 (tho there were some server issues)

ss13 is this game? https://spacestation13.com/ hadn't heard of this
before, looks interesting! I recall CotN's developer (I think it was mostly
just one guy) talking of how exhausting it was to make, on another forum.

rms

---------------

.... void Void(void) { Void() } /* The recursive call of the void */
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN AUGUST 2023?

<udgirs$3p5o0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13349&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13349

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 20:47:40 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 01:47 UTC

On 9/8/23 20:12, rms wrote:
>> SH> What Have You Been Playing... IN AUGUST 2023?
>> Crypt of the Necrodancer. And ss13 (tho there were some server issues)
>
>   ss13 is this game?  https://spacestation13.com/  hadn't heard of this
> before, looks interesting!

It's an obscuuree cult following game that was built on top of an
atomospheric sim in a now dead engine. It's pretty much an
overcomplicated sandbox of space betrayal under a cannonically awful
company that has so many enemies theres an entire page on the wiki. I
will say, if you do play it, that each server can be WILDLY different,
and most are open source. Some stuff that was removed from one server
can be alive and well (cloning), some jobs are outright removed
(assistant split into department specific interns), and there are about
3 different ui frameworks with various use across all the servers (tGUI,
mostly used by tg, NanoUI, and raw html). Also because of the oss nature
of the game, the same items can work differently across servers or
removed entirely, and some stuff gets ported between servers. Pretty
much, each server is its own variation of the game and its great.

The main servers are:
TG - The most """"modern"""" server, it pioneered tGUI and is one of the
few servers actually attempting to standardize their sprites. Its also
one of the more disliked ones, because of the headmin and owner
allegedly being bad people, constant complaints about removing fun
things for "balance" (like hardsuits, cloning, nerfing a ton of items
like the BoH needing an anomaly core and splitting the famous emag into
two seperate items (tho the emag is kinda ridiculous in how much it can
do so i do kinda agree with it but), and also the terrible, terrible,
terriblee traitor system so like in almost every other server the
traitor has 2-3 objectives like killing someone, stealing a certain
item, or sabotaging certain things but tg had the brilliant idea to
force you to complete smaller objectives over the game to get rep and in
the original iteration of it you could straight up greentext (win) with
0 traiterous activity besides the annoying slip spray paint and posters,
so they had to half-revert it and give you 3 objectives like other
servers but you had to complete objectives to get rep to buy any of the
good items and its just eugh)
Servers - TG has 3 servers, low-rp sybil (main one, 50+ pop), low-rp
bagil (secondary, 10-30 pop, the one i mained), and manuel high-rp (50+
pop, never really got into it)

Beestation - Fork of TG, it's mostly the same besides the admins are
somehow worse. Doesn't have as many of the tGUIisms or newer sprites,
its one of the more plain ones
Servers - 2, main has 20-60, acacia (alt) has 1-15

Yogstation - No, it's not related to Yogscast. Yog is supposedly the
most beginner friendly server (self assigned), but I don't like it as
much. Notably, its one of the only servers I've played that keeps the in
game radio scripting language, making it more unique.
Servers - 1, 60+

Goonstation - Notable for being one of the only main servers that isn't
open source, giving it more leeway to hide things in the code. Goon is
very different from the other servers gameplay and graphics-wise, having
almost all original sprites and lots of unique mechanics (sprinting,
space pods, actual working fake dos systems) and a completely different
ui. Don't like it as much
Servers - don't remember - 60+

VG - This server attempts to recreate the pre-ssethtide (basically
eternal september event) servers. How well it does it is arguable, but
it is pretty enjoyable for getting a break from all the tGUI stuff and
terrible tg additions). The server is known for having..colorful
language, so be warned. :)
Servers - 1, 2-40

Others - There are also lots of alternative servers that don't follow
the gameplay loop of the main ones, such as Shiptest or the 15 billion
fallout servers.

The game's controls are notoriously hard to get used to, so do check
your chosen servers' New Player Guide for help.

I recall CotN's developer (I think it was
> mostly just one guy) talking of how exhausting it was to make, on
> another forum.

As a semi former game dev, yea