24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

SubjectAuthor
* You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemMe!
`* Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemLewis
 `* Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemMe!
  `* Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemLewis
   `* Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemMe!
    +* Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemMe!
    |`- Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemLewis
    `- Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A ProblemLewis

1
You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<sopqsc$v47$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13359&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13359

From: please.d...@me!.com (Me!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 08:37:32 +0000
 by: Me! - Wed, 8 Dec 2021 08:37 UTC

I didn't!!

Since yesterday both mine and my wife's MAC report that "You Shut Down
Your Computer Because Of A Problem"

We didn't - this happens every time we turn on or restart.

There has been no power outages and when we shut down our computers we
do so correctly.

Running the latest version of Monterey and full up to date.

I have started in safe mode and don't get the error (or any other error)

and reset the PRAM/NVRAM with the same error occurring.

There has been no additional hardware added and no additional software
installed.

My MacBook Pro seems ok.

It seems strange both computers have been been affected

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<slrnsr18ov.tv0.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13360&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13360

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 12:20:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 8 Dec 2021 12:20 UTC

In message <sopqsc$v47$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
> I didn't!!

Definitely possible.

> Since yesterday both mine and my wife's MAC report that "You Shut Down
> Your Computer Because Of A Problem"

It is not a MAC, It is a Mac or a Macintosh.

> We didn't - this happens every time we turn on or restart.

Something in the shutdown or restart process is causing a problem.
Since it's happening on two machines, it is likely something that was
installed or updated recently on both machines.

> I have started in safe mode and don't get the error (or any other error)

Which tells you 1) it is not hardware related and 2) it is not related
to macOS itself, which leaves ... some other software.

> There has been no additional hardware added and no additional software
> installed.

then it is likely an update to some software.

> My MacBook Pro seems ok.

That might help narrow it down if there is something installed on the
affected machines that is not on the MacBook Pro.

> It seems strange both computers have been been affected

It should help troubleshooting, actually.

--
"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way."

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<soq89i$up8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13361&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13361

From: please.d...@me!.com (Me!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 12:26:26 +0000
 by: Me! - Wed, 8 Dec 2021 12:26 UTC

Lewis wrote:
> In message <sopqsc$v47$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
>> I didn't!!
>
> Definitely possible.
>
>> Since yesterday both mine and my wife's MAC report that "You Shut Down
>> Your Computer Because Of A Problem"
>
> It is not a MAC, It is a Mac or a Macintosh.
>
>> We didn't - this happens every time we turn on or restart.
>
> Something in the shutdown or restart process is causing a problem.
> Since it's happening on two machines, it is likely something that was
> installed or updated recently on both machines.
>
>> I have started in safe mode and don't get the error (or any other error)
>
> Which tells you 1) it is not hardware related and 2) it is not related
> to macOS itself, which leaves ... some other software.
>
>> There has been no additional hardware added and no additional software
>> installed.
>
> then it is likely an update to some software.
>
>> My MacBook Pro seems ok.
>
> That might help narrow it down if there is something installed on the
> affected machines that is not on the MacBook Pro.
>
>> It seems strange both computers have been been affected
>
> It should help troubleshooting, actually.

Thanks for the reply

Perhaps I should have said that the MacBook has an M1 chip whilst both
Macs are intel devices.

I have looked in the system logs and can find no kernel panic reports.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be welcome

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<slrnsr3go6.1r33.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13362&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13362

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:49:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:49 UTC

In message <soq89i$up8$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:
>> In message <sopqsc$v47$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
>>> I didn't!!
>>
>> Definitely possible.
>>
>>> Since yesterday both mine and my wife's MAC report that "You Shut Down
>>> Your Computer Because Of A Problem"
>>
>> It is not a MAC, It is a Mac or a Macintosh.
>>
>>> We didn't - this happens every time we turn on or restart.
>>
>> Something in the shutdown or restart process is causing a problem.
>> Since it's happening on two machines, it is likely something that was
>> installed or updated recently on both machines.
>>
>>> I have started in safe mode and don't get the error (or any other error)
>>
>> Which tells you 1) it is not hardware related and 2) it is not related
>> to macOS itself, which leaves ... some other software.
>>
>>> There has been no additional hardware added and no additional software
>>> installed.
>>
>> then it is likely an update to some software.
>>
>>> My MacBook Pro seems ok.
>>
>> That might help narrow it down if there is something installed on the
>> affected machines that is not on the MacBook Pro.
>>
>>> It seems strange both computers have been been affected
>>
>> It should help troubleshooting, actually.
>>
> Thanks for the reply

> Perhaps I should have said that the MacBook has an M1 chip whilst both
> Macs are intel devices.

That could be relevant, but not necessarily. The OS differences for M1
machines right now are way way down in the lowest levels of the system,
not really in areas that are writeable or changeable.

> I have looked in the system logs and can find no kernel panic reports.

that makes sense as there wasn't any evidence of a kernel panic
happening. One thing to do is check the time it takes to shutdown.
(lights off) on the computer itself).

> Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be welcome

The first thing I would do is do a safe boot and login, then immediately
restart, but it seems you have already done this.

After that it immediately becomes complicated because there is no
obvious crash to focus on and get some hints. Logging in to a clean user
account and shutting down might help if that doesn't show the same
behavior. Checking what kernel extensions you have installed, if any
might help. I know somoene who is having problems with the current Drobo
extensions, for example. From the terminal:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

A quick Disk First Aid scan from Recovery mode might be worth doing as
well.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think... so, Brain... *gag...but I didn't know Annette used peanut

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<sosl5d$1v8d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13363&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13363

From: please.d...@me!.com (Me!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 10:18:21 +0000
 by: Me! - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 10:18 UTC

Lewis wrote:
> In message <soq89i$up8$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Definitely possible.

>>> It is not a MAC, It is a Mac or a Macintosh.

>>> Something in the shutdown or restart process is causing a problem.
>>> Since it's happening on two machines, it is likely something that was
>>> installed or updated recently on both machines.

>>> Which tells you 1) it is not hardware related and 2) it is not related
>>> to macOS itself, which leaves ... some other software.

>>> then it is likely an update to some software.

>>> That might help narrow it down if there is something installed on the
>>> affected machines that is not on the MacBook Pro.

>>> It should help troubleshooting, actually.
>>>
>> Thanks for the reply
>
>> Perhaps I should have said that the MacBook has an M1 chip whilst both
>> Macs are intel devices.
>
> That could be relevant, but not necessarily. The OS differences for M1
> machines right now are way way down in the lowest levels of the system,
> not really in areas that are writeable or changeable.
>
>> I have looked in the system logs and can find no kernel panic reports.
>
> that makes sense as there wasn't any evidence of a kernel panic
> happening. One thing to do is check the time it takes to shutdown.
> (lights off) on the computer itself).
>
>> Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be welcome
>
> The first thing I would do is do a safe boot and login, then immediately
> restart, but it seems you have already done this.
>
> After that it immediately becomes complicated because there is no
> obvious crash to focus on and get some hints. Logging in to a clean user
> account and shutting down might help if that doesn't show the same
> behavior. Checking what kernel extensions you have installed, if any
> might help. I know somoene who is having problems with the current Drobo
> extensions, for example. From the terminal:
>
> kextstat | grep -v com.apple
>
> A quick Disk First Aid scan from Recovery mode might be worth doing as
> well.

Thank you for your continued help.

First Aid Scan on both machines revealed no problems.

kextstat | grep -v com.apple gives -

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID
<Linked Against>

I created a new standard user and the same error occurs when I restart
and log into that user

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<sot7qd$10lf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13364&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13364

From: please.d...@me!.com (Me!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 15:36:45 +0000
 by: Me! - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 15:36 UTC

Me! wrote:
> Lewis wrote:
>> In message <soq89i$up8$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply
>>
>>> Perhaps I should have said that the MacBook has an M1 chip whilst both
>>> Macs are intel devices.
>>
>> That could be relevant, but not necessarily. The OS differences for M1
>> machines right now are way way down in the lowest levels of the system,
>> not really in areas that are writeable or changeable.
>>
>>> I have looked in the system logs and can find no kernel panic reports.
>>
>> that makes sense as there wasn't any evidence of a kernel panic
>> happening. One thing to do is check the time it takes to shutdown.
>> (lights off) on the computer itself).
>>
>>> Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be welcome
>>
>> The first thing I would do is do a safe boot and login, then immediately
>> restart, but it seems you have already done this.
>>
>> After that it immediately becomes complicated because there is no
>> obvious crash to focus on and get some hints. Logging in to a clean user
>> account and shutting down might help if that doesn't show the same
>> behavior. Checking what kernel extensions you have installed, if any
>> might help. I know somoene who is having problems with the current Drobo
>> extensions, for example. From the terminal:
>>
>> kextstat | grep -v com.apple
>>
>> A quick Disk First Aid scan from Recovery mode might be worth doing as
>> well.
>>

> Thank you for your continued help.
>
> First Aid Scan on both machines revealed no problems.
>
> kextstat | grep -v com.apple gives -
>
> Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
> No variant specified, falling back to release
> Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID
> <Linked Against>
>
> I created a new standard user and the same error occurs when I restart
> and log into that user

I *THINK* I have fixed it!

After searching lots of Apple sites it seems it is a not uncommon fault.
To quote -

"I fixed mine by deleting a "Sleep Wake Failure" diag file in
\Library\Logs\DiagnosticReports that was closest in time to the start of
the problem."

So I did this and the error has gone (for the moment?)

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<slrnsr4k5r.2nmk.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13367&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13367

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:53:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:53 UTC

In message <sosl5d$1v8d$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply
>>
>>> Perhaps I should have said that the MacBook has an M1 chip whilst both
>>> Macs are intel devices.
>>
>> That could be relevant, but not necessarily. The OS differences for M1
>> machines right now are way way down in the lowest levels of the system,
>> not really in areas that are writeable or changeable.
>>
>>> I have looked in the system logs and can find no kernel panic reports.
>>
>> that makes sense as there wasn't any evidence of a kernel panic
>> happening. One thing to do is check the time it takes to shutdown.
>> (lights off) on the computer itself).
>>
>>> Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be welcome
>>
>> The first thing I would do is do a safe boot and login, then immediately
>> restart, but it seems you have already done this.
>>
>> After that it immediately becomes complicated because there is no
>> obvious crash to focus on and get some hints. Logging in to a clean user
>> account and shutting down might help if that doesn't show the same
>> behavior. Checking what kernel extensions you have installed, if any
>> might help. I know somoene who is having problems with the current Drobo
>> extensions, for example. From the terminal:
>>
>> kextstat | grep -v com.apple
>>
>> A quick Disk First Aid scan from Recovery mode might be worth doing as
>> well.
>>

> Thank you for your continued help.

> First Aid Scan on both machines revealed no problems.

> kextstat | grep -v com.apple gives -

> Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
> No variant specified, falling back to release
> Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID
> <Linked Against>

Ah, well, no kexts.

> I created a new standard user and the same error occurs when I restart
> and log into that user

I'm out of ideas other than looking for differences between the machine
without the issue and the ones with the issue.

No wait, there is one other thing you can do, and that is an over the
top reinstall of the OS. Assuming you have a Time Machine backup because
having one ensures you won't need it, reinstalling the OS from recovery
mode should preserve the users and simply reset the whole OS. If it goes
badly, you have your Time Machine to fall back on.

Good luck!

--
I prefer bitter drinks, like coffee, and tears.

Re: You Shut Down Your Computer Because Of A Problem

<slrnsr4ka7.2nmk.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13368&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13368

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:56:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:56 UTC

In message <sot7qd$10lf$1@gioia.aioe.org> Me! <please.dontspa@me!.com> wrote:
> Me! wrote:
>> Lewis wrote:

>>> That could be relevant, but not necessarily. The OS differences for M1
>>> machines right now are way way down in the lowest levels of the system,
>>> not really in areas that are writeable or changeable.

>>> that makes sense as there wasn't any evidence of a kernel panic
>>> happening. One thing to do is check the time it takes to shutdown.
>>> (lights off) on the computer itself).

>>> The first thing I would do is do a safe boot and login, then immediately
>>> restart, but it seems you have already done this.
>>>
>>> After that it immediately becomes complicated because there is no
>>> obvious crash to focus on and get some hints. Logging in to a clean user
>>> account and shutting down might help if that doesn't show the same
>>> behavior. Checking what kernel extensions you have installed, if any
>>> might help. I know somoene who is having problems with the current Drobo
>>> extensions, for example. From the terminal:
>>>
>>> kextstat | grep -v com.apple
>>>
>>> A quick Disk First Aid scan from Recovery mode might be worth doing as
>>> well.
>>>

>> Thank you for your continued help.
>>
>> First Aid Scan on both machines revealed no problems.
>>
>> kextstat | grep -v com.apple gives -
>>
>> Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
>> No variant specified, falling back to release
>> Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID
>> <Linked Against>
>>
>> I created a new standard user and the same error occurs when I restart
>> and log into that user

> I *THINK* I have fixed it!

> After searching lots of Apple sites it seems it is a not uncommon fault.
> To quote -

> "I fixed mine by deleting a "Sleep Wake Failure" diag file in
> \Library\Logs\DiagnosticReports that was closest in time to the start of
> the problem."

Excellent!

BTW, /Library/Logs ... :)

> So I did this and the error has gone (for the moment?)

That's a weird one, I would not have though a log file would do this and
you'd think a safe-boot would clear it anyway.

--
C is for CLARA who wasted away
D is for DESMOND thrown out of a sleigh