From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 10:47:17 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:47 UTC

30% PS+ price increase approaching, ridiculous. Mine expires 11/30, so my
plan now is to play the best of the ps+ titles in my library til then. Here
is a preliminary list, please order them in play priority for me!!

Trek to Yomi
Code Vein
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Last Guardian
infamous second son
Detroit Become Human
God of War

rms

Re: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!

<7ampfih9utiff1r7spb923of9pjd60fm3p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13360&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13360

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 16:57:23 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 20:57 UTC

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 10:47:17 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>30% PS+ price increase approaching, ridiculous. Mine expires 11/30, so my
>plan now is to play the best of the ps+ titles in my library til then. Here
>is a preliminary list, please order them in play priority for me!!

>Trek to Yomi
>Code Vein
>Yakuza: Like a Dragon
>The Last Guardian
>infamous second son
>Detroit Become Human
>God of War

Well, I dunno how well our tastes match, but if it were me and I
needed to rush through all these games, here's the order I'd do it in:

* God of War
Is it the best game? No. But it's a solid title with interesting
characters and story, and a lot to explore. I really like how they
evolved Kratos' character rather than simply doing the same ol' thing
like in the last two games.

* Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Despite falling squarely into "Japanese Weird" territory, the Yakuza
games are well made and have interesting characters. I could do with a
bit less strangeness but they're solid titles nonetheless.

* Infamous: Second Son
A somewhat dated but still satisfying power-fantasy. It lacks the
novelty of the original(s) but it's an okay third game. Not great, but
good enough.

* Code Vein
Definitely a niche game; Japanese Weird but imaginative. Not really
that fond of the gameplay but the setting just about makes up for it.

* Last Guardian
I really wish I could rank this one higher, but my memories of trying
to get that damned animal to do what I needed it to do haunt me still.
Good concept, aggravating execution.

* Trek to Yomi
I'd rank this one much higher except - since it was available on
HumbleChoice last month - I'm sure you picked it up for PC. Therefore,
no need to rush ;-)

* Detroit Become Human
David Cage can't write good stories or make good games. Quantic Dreams
creates games with amazing production values and a lot of intriguing
ideas that absolutely fall flat on their face when played. If you're
really interested in the game, just watch it as a let's play.

Re: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!

<udimgc$74l3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13361&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13361

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:02:04 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:02 UTC

On 9/9/23 15:57, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> * Yakuza: Like a Dragon
> Despite falling squarely into "Japanese Weird" territory, the Yakuza
> games are well made and have interesting characters. I could do with a
> bit less strangeness but they're solid titles nonetheless.

I like em for the goofiness.

> * Detroit Become Human
> David Cage can't write good stories or make good games. Quantic Dreams
> creates games with amazing production values and a lot of intriguing
> ideas that absolutely fall flat on their face when played. If you're
> really interested in the game, just watch it as a let's play.

Some stuff can be hilariously bad, tho.

Re: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!

<udkofj$kf19$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13365&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13365

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:48:01 -0600
 by: rms - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:48 UTC

>> * Yakuza: Like a Dragon
>> Despite falling squarely into "Japanese Weird" territory, the Yakuza
>> games are well made and have interesting characters. I could do with a
>> bit less strangeness but they're solid titles nonetheless.
>Sounds interesting.

Actually the one I want to play is Lost Judgement
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058190/Lost_Judgment/
since it has a mystery detective element, but yeah not going to pay full
price

>> * Code Vein
>> Definitely a niche game; Japanese Weird but imaginative. Not really
>> that fond of the gameplay but the setting just about makes up for it.
>Anime sparkly vampires with fan service and giant weapons in a
>future setting with dark souls like gameplay. I couldn't get into it, I
>tried.

a full size game, hence putting it on the list, but at the bottom I guess
:)

>I keep thinking of getting the PS+ so I can stream playing Blooodborne

I bought physical Bloodborne & Demon Souls some time ago, just because
they are highly rated, haven't played them as yet!

rms

Re: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!

<udkq12$kpaj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13366&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13366

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:14:24 -0600
 by: rms - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:14 UTC

Big thanks for your considered recommendations Spalls!

>* God of War
>Is it the best game? No.
I was worried this might be too mass-market or generic or having too many
fetch quests etc, but everyone I've asked puts it at the top of any list, so
I'll start with this.

>* Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Actually the one I want to play is Lost Judgement
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058190/Lost_Judgment/
since it has a mystery detective element, but yeah not going to pay full
price (haven't played any yakuza game)

>* Last Guardian
I've read that the physical version has a 60fps patch available, that is
*not* available for the digital version, but in any case being a famous
title I'll give it a try at least

>* Trek to Yomi
Being short and having a unique artstyle appeals to me, might bump this
up higher

rms

Re: PS+ Price Increase: Help me order my games!

<rpgsfitkbbgls9jc3o337n25pip5iiahhp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13368&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13368

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 18:34:28 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 22:34 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:14:24 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>Big thanks for your considered recommendations Spalls!
>
>>* God of War
>>Is it the best game? No.
> I was worried this might be too mass-market or generic or having too many
>fetch quests etc, but everyone I've asked puts it at the top of any list, so
>I'll start with this.

In many ways, it is. It really doesn't do anything new, and - yes -
the move to an open world does mean the game can drag on a bit
(although it's nowhere as bad as the sequel). Fortunately, most of the
side-quests can be ignored if you really want.

The game's biggest fault - in my eyes at least - is that the combat
is... well, I always found it a bit tedious. And there's so much of
it. It's still a lot better than the sequel (my god, did that game
drag on!) but it could have, in my opinion, used fewer enemies (or
enemies with fewer hitpoints). But then, I've never been a big fan of
the combo-heavy combat of the "God of War" games.

>>* Trek to Yomi
> Being short and having a unique artstyle appeals to me, might bump this
>up higher

You asked me to rank the order I'd play the games. Since I own Yomi on
PC, it got ranked lower. But it would probably be second place
otherwise.

Truth, though, your selection of games wouldn't be first picks for me
anyway. Although that limitation made it a bit more interesting of a
challenge to rank them. ;-)