You can't have everything... where would you put it? -- Steven Wright

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

SubjectAuthor
* CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?candycanearter07
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Justisaur
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Mike S.
|`- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Xocyll
|`* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?DotNettie
| +* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Dimensional Traveler
| |`- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
| `* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
|  `* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Dimensional Traveler
|   `* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
|    `- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Zaghadka
|+- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Zaghadka
|`* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
| `* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Zaghadka
|  +- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Justisaur
|  `* Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Spalls Hurgenson
|   `- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Zaghadka
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Ant
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?JAB
`- Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?Anssi Saari

1
CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<un01gip3g77e1c5csmlkghv6u98l5pplrl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13376&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13376

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?

When it comes to PCs, everybody's computer desktop is different. Even
when standards are corporately mandated, people still manage some
customizations. Computer desktops are the 'home base' for our digital
explorations, and they reflect our personalities and tastes. So what
does yours say about you?

1) I use the bare minimum: No wallpaper, no icons
(or the fewest the OS will let you get away with).

2) I like things clean: a tasteful predictable
wallpaper, and my most commonly used apps or
documents easily available.

3) We're quite casual here. I change my wallpaper
not too infrequently, there's a bunch of icons
pointing to apps and documents, and - hey - I
might even experiment occasionally with
gadgets or similar.

4) It's getting wild here. Icons everywhere,
and/or rapidly cycling wallpaper. And my system
tray has at least twenty apps on it.

5) I'm not sure if I actually have wallpaper because
the icons cover it all. What, are you telling me
that you can save documents somewhere OTHER than
the desktop?!?

6) High tech here, man! Video-wallpaper, spring-
loaded icons that open up into folders when
you merely hover over them, the works! Heck, I
even change SHELLS regularly.

7) Desktops? Icons? Real Computer Users stick to
the command line!

Myself, I'm closest to option #2. I've five icons on my desktop right
now (and remember, I have four monitors). Three of them, though, open
up folders where I've hidden all the rest* (the fourth is recycle bin,
and the fifth is a link to a webpage I need to visit later today; as
soon as I'm done with this last one, it'll get trashed). My wallpapers
do cycle fairly regularly, though; each monitor has a different image
and they change every thirty minutes (pulled from my voluminous
collection of video-game screenshots, nature photos, and just
interesting images I've found on the net)**. What can I say; I get
bored staring at the same picture too long. And my forth monitor is
covered with digital post-it notes. What all this says about me, I'm
not sure.

So... What's on your desktop?

* One folder has frequently used documents, a second shortcuts to
games, and the third has a links to web-videos I intend to watch
** Currently displaying, left to right, a screenshot from "The Hunter:
Call of the Wild", a close-up of dew-beaded blades of grass, concept
art for "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" and, finally, a sunset over the
lush heath of Scotland

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<udq3ah$1kitn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13377&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13377

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:23:45 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 16:23 UTC

On 9/12/23 10:47, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?

> 3) We're quite casual here. I change my wallpaper
> not too infrequently, there's a bunch of icons
> pointing to apps and documents, and - hey - I
> might even experiment occasionally with
> gadgets or similar.

This one, tho I do have some extra Linux stuff to mess with :>
http://0x0.st/HfE5.png
(I drew most of the icons + background)

> Myself, I'm closest to option #2. I've five icons on my desktop right
> now (and remember, I have four monitors). Three of them, though, open
> up folders where I've hidden all the rest* (the fourth is recycle bin,
> and the fifth is a link to a webpage I need to visit later today; as
> soon as I'm done with this last one, it'll get trashed). My wallpapers
> do cycle fairly regularly, though; each monitor has a different image
> and they change every thirty minutes (pulled from my voluminous
> collection of video-game screenshots, nature photos, and just
> interesting images I've found on the net)**. What can I say; I get
> bored staring at the same picture too long. And my forth monitor is
> covered with digital post-it notes. What all this says about me, I'm
> not sure.

Definitely organized..

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<1337929d-f3f6-48f2-9599-c7c47ce05651n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13379&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13379

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:13:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 18:13 UTC

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 8:47:52 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?
>

> When it comes to PCs, everybody's computer desktop is different. Even
> when standards are corporately mandated, people still manage some
> customizations. Computer desktops are the 'home base' for our digital
> explorations, and they reflect our personalities and tastes. So what
> does yours say about you?
>
> 1) I use the bare minimum: No wallpaper, no icons
> (or the fewest the OS will let you get away with).
>
> 2) I like things clean: a tasteful predictable
> wallpaper, and my most commonly used apps or
> documents easily available.
>
> 3) We're quite casual here. I change my wallpaper
> not too infrequently, there's a bunch of icons
> pointing to apps and documents, and - hey - I
> might even experiment occasionally with
> gadgets or similar.
>
> 4) It's getting wild here. Icons everywhere,
> and/or rapidly cycling wallpaper. And my system
> tray has at least twenty apps on it.
>
> 5) I'm not sure if I actually have wallpaper because
> the icons cover it all. What, are you telling me
> that you can save documents somewhere OTHER than
> the desktop?!?
>
> 6) High tech here, man! Video-wallpaper, spring-
> loaded icons that open up into folders when
> you merely hover over them, the works! Heck, I
> even change SHELLS regularly.
>
> 7) Desktops? Icons? Real Computer Users stick to
> the command line!
>

> Myself, I'm closest to option #2. I've five icons on my desktop right
> now (and remember, I have four monitors). Three of them, though, open
> up folders where I've hidden all the rest* (the fourth is recycle bin,
> and the fifth is a link to a webpage I need to visit later today; as
> soon as I'm done with this last one, it'll get trashed). My wallpapers
> do cycle fairly regularly, though; each monitor has a different image
> and they change every thirty minutes (pulled from my voluminous
> collection of video-game screenshots, nature photos, and just
> interesting images I've found on the net)**. What can I say; I get
> bored staring at the same picture too long. And my forth monitor is
> covered with digital post-it notes. What all this says about me, I'm
> not sure.
>

> So... What's on your desktop?
>

> * One folder has frequently used documents, a second shortcuts to
> games, and the third has a links to web-videos I intend to watch
> ** Currently displaying, left to right, a screenshot from "The Hunter:
> Call of the Wild", a close-up of dew-beaded blades of grass, concept
> art for "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" and, finally, a sunset over the
> lush heath of Scotland

I'm about a 2.5. My desktop icon background is a silicone wafer, which
I probably haven't changed in a decade, literally older than every part
of my computer of Theseus.

There's about 1/3 of the desktop screen filled with icons, mostly games
I accidentally or purposefully clicked make desktop icon when installing.
Purposefully from old Gog games mostly before I had the client. These
days I don't even look at the desktop as one of either chrome, steam or
whatever client for whatever game I'm playing at the time comes up from
clicking on the pinned icon on the taskbar as soon as I'm logged in.
There's 22 icons on the task bar. Chrome, Edge, Opera (I should remove
that, It was useful for a little bit a few years ago, seems garbage now.)
Internet Explorer (don't remember last time I used that.) Notepad++,
Snipping tool, Calc, Visual Studio, Cheat Engine, Discord (I don't like using
it, but only way to contact certain both rl and e-friends.) Logitech game
software (for their joystick that feels like trying to hold a jagged rock that
I don't use,) Steam, Gog, Epic, Uplay, MS Store, Core Temp, HW Monitor,
Asus' updater (stupidly named Armory Crate, yeah that tells me what it's
for,) and recycle bin.

My bookmarks bar would probably also be telling, it has this group in it.
:)

- Justisaur

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<56c1gi1k8h8d5r6shgdiqcdo6iuj8nohn4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13380&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13380

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:50:31 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 18:50 UTC

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?

I like your pointless polls. Keep them coming.

I am at #1 with Windows 10. The standard Windows wallpaper is fine
with me. I have no icons on my desktop at all. When I hit the Windows
Key or click the START button I see every single program, game and
everything else I need arranged and color coded with Windows tiles for
instant one click access.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<lsf1gilvsigf2adpugij78s194pgs72jbf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13381&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13381

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:58:10 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:58 UTC

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:50:31 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?

>I like your pointless polls. Keep them coming.

Hey! They're not pointless polls. They are COMPLETELY pointless polls.
Also, they are random. Although, now I am not sure; is it only the
randomness that is complete or is it both the randomness and
pointlessness that is complete? Or maybe the randomness and
pointlessness aren't complete, but the polls themselves are?

Regardless, you can be completely assured I didn't pick the name
simply for the acronym. ;-)

>I am at #1 with Windows 10. The standard Windows wallpaper is fine
>with me. I have no icons on my desktop at all. When I hit the Windows
>Key or click the START button I see every single program, game and
>everything else I need arranged and color coded with Windows tiles for
>instant one click access.

Mostly, when starting programs, I just use the 'run' box (or whatever
its called now); I just start hit the Windows key, and start typing
the name of the app until it finds the one I need.

Actually, that's not true. MOST apps I use get started either by
clicking an appropriate document file, or with a hotkey.

But I dislike the Win10/11 start menu because there are a handful of
apps that only get occasionally used and I never remember their exact
names. And since Win11 doesn't allow you to nest shortcuts in folders
I have to scroll the entire list trying to find the one app I need. I
much preferred the Win9x->Win7 method, where I could organize my start
menu as I saw fit.*

I admire your ability to stick to one wallpaper. Even though most of
the time I don't see my desktop, since it's covered with apps and
whatnot, I do like seeing some nice pictures whenever I switch between
apps. And I love having a new view every few minutes; it's a pleasant
distraction.

Only my file-server has an unchanging desktop... partly because it
doesn't need to waste the resources on such frivolities, and partly
because its chosen desktop wallpaper is designed to scare people away
;-)

---------------------
* Yes, I know there are third-party apps to help with that, but all of
them have issues with multi-monitor support.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<udqgf9$1n9ia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13382&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13382

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 13:08:11 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 20:08 UTC

On 9/12/2023 8:47 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?
>

> When it comes to PCs, everybody's computer desktop is different. Even
> when standards are corporately mandated, people still manage some
> customizations. Computer desktops are the 'home base' for our digital
> explorations, and they reflect our personalities and tastes. So what
> does yours say about you?
>
> 1) I use the bare minimum: No wallpaper, no icons
> (or the fewest the OS will let you get away with).
>
> 2) I like things clean: a tasteful predictable
> wallpaper, and my most commonly used apps or
> documents easily available.
>
> 3) We're quite casual here. I change my wallpaper
> not too infrequently, there's a bunch of icons
> pointing to apps and documents, and - hey - I
> might even experiment occasionally with
> gadgets or similar.
>
> 4) It's getting wild here. Icons everywhere,
> and/or rapidly cycling wallpaper. And my system
> tray has at least twenty apps on it.
>
> 5) I'm not sure if I actually have wallpaper because
> the icons cover it all. What, are you telling me
> that you can save documents somewhere OTHER than
> the desktop?!?
>
> 6) High tech here, man! Video-wallpaper, spring-
> loaded icons that open up into folders when
> you merely hover over them, the works! Heck, I
> even change SHELLS regularly.
>
> 7) Desktops? Icons? Real Computer Users stick to
> the command line!
>

> Myself, I'm closest to option #2. I've five icons on my desktop right
> now (and remember, I have four monitors). Three of them, though, open
> up folders where I've hidden all the rest* (the fourth is recycle bin,
> and the fifth is a link to a webpage I need to visit later today; as
> soon as I'm done with this last one, it'll get trashed). My wallpapers
> do cycle fairly regularly, though; each monitor has a different image
> and they change every thirty minutes (pulled from my voluminous
> collection of video-game screenshots, nature photos, and just
> interesting images I've found on the net)**. What can I say; I get
> bored staring at the same picture too long. And my forth monitor is
> covered with digital post-it notes. What all this says about me, I'm
> not sure.
>

> So... What's on your desktop?
>

> * One folder has frequently used documents, a second shortcuts to
> games, and the third has a links to web-videos I intend to watch
> ** Currently displaying, left to right, a screenshot from "The Hunter:
> Call of the Wild", a close-up of dew-beaded blades of grass, concept
> art for "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" and, finally, a sunset over the
> lush heath of Scotland

Some where between 1 and 2. No wallpaper, just a blank black background
and shortcuts for the stuff I use on a monthly or more frequently basis.
The use almost every day stuff is on my toolbar at the bottom of my
screen.
dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<fes2gipthflvdmiu7bt8b3qug3q9t75qh3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13387&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13387

From: Xoc...@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 04:31:59 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:31 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?
>

>When it comes to PCs, everybody's computer desktop is different. Even
>when standards are corporately mandated, people still manage some
>customizations. Computer desktops are the 'home base' for our digital
>explorations, and they reflect our personalities and tastes. So what
>does yours say about you?

Old school windows mostly, desktop is the same kind of layout I used
back with win95.

Games on the right (Icons and links to specific directories for addons
and such,) and apps and links (specific HD locations, playlists, etc,)
on the left.
Finally wallpaper in the middle (usually chosen to fit in the space and
not go under the icons - currently a pic of a Praying Kitten.)

Xocyll

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<kmdkc9FsfijU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13388&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13388

From: Dot...@noaddress.net (DotNettie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 07:22:50 -0400
 by: DotNettie - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:22 UTC

On 9/13/2023 4:31 AM, Xocyll wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>

>> Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?
>>

>> When it comes to PCs, everybody's computer desktop is different. Even
>> when standards are corporately mandated, people still manage some
>> customizations. Computer desktops are the 'home base' for our digital
>> explorations, and they reflect our personalities and tastes. So what
>> does yours say about you?
>
> Old school windows mostly, desktop is the same kind of layout I used
> back with win95.
>
> Games on the right (Icons and links to specific directories for addons
> and such,) and apps and links (specific HD locations, playlists, etc,)
> on the left.
> Finally wallpaper in the middle (usually chosen to fit in the space and
> not go under the icons - currently a pic of a Praying Kitten.)
>
> Xocyll

I use a seasonal theme and a pic of Charlotte the Scottie, my best bud,
on the lock screen; my system & utility stuff icons are on the left.
Shortcuts for stuff like Windows Updates, Belarc Advisor, Security
sites, Documents, Download and Pictures folders are there.

The gaming icons are on the right. The gaming icons are grouped by
Steam, GOG, Ubi and Origin with the respective games under their proper
platform.I have a large widescreen monitor, so space is not an issue

D.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<udsjlh$2664l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13391&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13391

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:14:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:14 UTC

On 9/13/2023 4:22 AM, DotNettie wrote:
> On 9/13/2023 4:31 AM, Xocyll wrote:
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:
>>

>>> Another Completely Random And Pointless Poll! Why? Because why not?
>>>

>>> When it comes to PCs, everybody's computer desktop is different. Even
>>> when standards are corporately mandated, people still manage some
>>> customizations. Computer desktops are the 'home base' for our digital
>>> explorations, and they reflect our personalities and tastes. So what
>>> does yours say about you?
>>
>> Old school windows mostly, desktop is the same kind of layout I used
>> back with win95.
>>
>> Games on the right (Icons and links to specific directories for addons
>> and such,) and apps and links (specific HD locations, playlists, etc,)
>> on the left.
>> Finally wallpaper in the middle (usually chosen to fit in the space and
>> not go under the icons - currently a pic of a Praying Kitten.)
>>
>> Xocyll
>
> I use a seasonal theme and a pic of Charlotte the Scottie, my best bud,
> on the lock screen; my system & utility stuff icons are on the left.
> Shortcuts for stuff like Windows Updates, Belarc Advisor, Security
> sites, Documents, Download and Pictures folders are there.
>
> The gaming icons are on the right. The gaming icons are grouped by
> Steam, GOG, Ubi and Origin with the respective games under their proper
> platform.I have a large widescreen monitor, so space is not an issue

I seem to remember we had a Monitor Size CRAP some time back.

dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<ieq3gi5haurm7dhaenbao14tnhdt6m4rmi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13393&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13393

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:12:42 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:12 UTC

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>So... What's on your desktop?

I think the numerical options are extremely limiting and lack nuance.
This is a qualitative question that is inappropriate for quantitative
analysis.

That said, I won't bore you, here's a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/ytpeIBY.jpg

Synopsis: Aspirational backlog games and currently playing in order of
importance (center more important) and kind of game (by row;
RPG/tactical, FPS, Third person action). Always a sticky note for current
stuff. A miscellany folder for desktop overflow. A recycle bin in the
original Apple position. System performance on the left monitor, with
utility programs (mostly).

Gloomhaven is banished to the left screen. I had nowhere to put on the
primary screen and will probably not play it, as we were unable to put
together a co-op game.

I do change "Themes" from time to time. The wallpaper cycles.

There's a little hobby information there that you may read into. Enjoy
your tea leaves.

Please reply with your numerical assessment.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<woucnT9Zwf95cJz4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13394&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13394

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:14:12 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:14 UTC

My non-full sized ant wallpaper with black background, a few icons, Pidgin, autohide task bar, PuTTY windows, etc.

--
"Blessed be your glorious name, and may it be exalted above all blessing and praise." --Nehemiah 9:5. Slammy Tues. with leaks, salivas, coughs, aches, sneezes, tiredness, etc. until mid afternoon PDT?
| |o o| |

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<7ur3gipae5q80r69p6sv6jgnhvoo44cbdl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13395&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13395

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:25:10 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:25 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:12:42 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Zaghadka wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>So... What's on your desktop?
>>
>I think the numerical options are extremely limiting and lack nuance.
>This is a qualitative question that is inappropriate for quantitative
>analysis.
>
>That said, I won't bore you, here's a screenshot:
>
>https://i.imgur.com/ytpeIBY.jpg
>
>Synopsis: Aspirational backlog games and currently playing in order of
>importance (center more important) and kind of game (by row;
>RPG/tactical, FPS, Third person action). Always a sticky note for current
>stuff. A miscellany folder for desktop overflow. A recycle bin in the
>original Apple position. System performance on the left monitor, with
>utility programs (mostly).
>
>Gloomhaven is banished to the left screen. I had nowhere to put on the
>primary screen and will probably not play it, as we were unable to put
>together a co-op game.
>
>I do change "Themes" from time to time. The wallpaper cycles.
>
>There's a little hobby information there that you may read into. Enjoy
>your tea leaves.
>
>Please reply with your numerical assessment.

Bonus content! Here is my home folder, which I consider an integral part
of my Desktop experience.

https://i.imgur.com/NIcw7Zw.png

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<svt3gilnqcevdvdedv2hrtkso3hdevedkl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13397&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13397

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:59:42 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:59 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 07:22:50 -0400, DotNettie <DotN@noaddress.net>
wrote:

>On 9/13/2023 4:31 AM, Xocyll wrote:
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:

>I use a seasonal theme and a pic of Charlotte the Scottie, my best bud,
>on the lock screen; my system & utility stuff icons are on the left.
>Shortcuts for stuff like Windows Updates, Belarc Advisor, Security
>sites, Documents, Download and Pictures folders are there.

Well organized. I approve! ;-)

>The gaming icons are on the right. The gaming icons are grouped by
>Steam, GOG, Ubi and Origin with the respective games under their proper
>platform.I have a large widescreen monitor, so space is not an issue

Bah. I have four monitors and space is ALWAYS an issue. Similar to how
it works with CPU processing power and disk-space, you can always use
more desktop. Apps expand as more space becomes available ;-P

(and aren't all monitors widescreen now? ;-)

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<8804gih96eb9ckm9ahisgfig1b0j5dpvr4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13399&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13399

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:42:38 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:42 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:12:42 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>So... What's on your desktop?

>I think the numerical options are extremely limiting and lack nuance.
>This is a qualitative question that is inappropriate for quantitative
>analysis.

I agree, but I think that - had I made it a 'post a screenshot of your
desktop' - people would have been less open to sharing.

Besides, I'm a 'a thousand words equal a picture' sort of person, and
not the other way around, so I'll /always/ take the more literate
methodology (my frequent discants probably have given that away ;-)

Anyway, the choices are mainly intended as starting points and not the
end-all, be-all options. Also, they're there as an excuse to have a
humorous joke option at the end. ;-)

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<bl04gi145tnsfupg1hsq8jojtfel16bqca@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13400&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13400

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:44:15 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:44 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:14:58 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>I seem to remember we had a Monitor Size CRAP some time back.

Quite possibly. However, one of the things that makes these polls so
incredibly (dare I say, Completely?) pointless is that I don't
actually keep track of any of the resultant data... or the polls
themselves, for that matter. So duplicates are always a possibility.
;-P

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<udt1u9$28lv6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13403&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13403

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:18:34 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:18 UTC

On 9/13/2023 10:59 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 07:22:50 -0400, DotNettie <DotN@noaddress.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/13/2023 4:31 AM, Xocyll wrote:
>>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>> say:
>
>> I use a seasonal theme and a pic of Charlotte the Scottie, my best bud,
>> on the lock screen; my system & utility stuff icons are on the left.
>> Shortcuts for stuff like Windows Updates, Belarc Advisor, Security
>> sites, Documents, Download and Pictures folders are there.
>
> Well organized. I approve! ;-)
>
>> The gaming icons are on the right. The gaming icons are grouped by
>> Steam, GOG, Ubi and Origin with the respective games under their proper
>> platform.I have a large widescreen monitor, so space is not an issue
>
> Bah. I have four monitors and space is ALWAYS an issue. Similar to how
> it works with CPU processing power and disk-space, you can always use
> more desktop. Apps expand as more space becomes available ;-P
>

> (and aren't all monitors widescreen now? ;-)

Get back to us when you have a wall of monitors (at least 20) set up to
display as a single monitor like they do in the movies.

dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<7oe4gil3u0rgm24p4b94nrq12anfg5ia40@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13407&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13407

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:45:07 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:45 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:42:38 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:12:42 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:47:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>>So... What's on your desktop?
>
>>I think the numerical options are extremely limiting and lack nuance.
>>This is a qualitative question that is inappropriate for quantitative
>>analysis.
>
>I agree, but I think that - had I made it a 'post a screenshot of your
>desktop' - people would have been less open to sharing.
>
>Besides, I'm a 'a thousand words equal a picture' sort of person, and
>not the other way around, so I'll /always/ take the more literate
>methodology (my frequent discants probably have given that away ;-)
>
>Anyway, the choices are mainly intended as starting points and not the
>end-all, be-all options. Also, they're there as an excuse to have a
>humorous joke option at the end. ;-)

I shared. I'm happy to blather too. I'm a reasonable alternative to you
if someone wants a wall of text on the spot.

But I think I requested your numerical assessment, sir.

Well? What Harry Potter house do I belong in?

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<88787e76-de2e-4277-81db-8dabeb05abc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13409&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13409

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 00:37 UTC

On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 3:45:12 PM UTC-7, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:42:38 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:12:42 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
> >wrote:

> >>I think the numerical options are extremely limiting and lack nuance.
> >>This is a qualitative question that is inappropriate for quantitative
> >>analysis.
> >
> >I agree, but I think that - had I made it a 'post a screenshot of your
> >desktop' - people would have been less open to sharing.
> >
> >Besides, I'm a 'a thousand words equal a picture' sort of person, and
> >not the other way around, so I'll /always/ take the more literate
> >methodology (my frequent discants probably have given that away ;-)
> >
> >Anyway, the choices are mainly intended as starting points and not the
> >end-all, be-all options. Also, they're there as an excuse to have a
> >humorous joke option at the end. ;-)
> >
> I shared. I'm happy to blather too. I'm a reasonable alternative to you
> if someone wants a wall of text on the spot.
>
> But I think I requested your numerical assessment, sir.
>
> Well? What Harry Potter house do I belong in?

I'll give you closer to a 2 than I am as it's more organized. Maybe a 2.2

- Justisaur

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<udugn2$2icg0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13414&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13414

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:36:50 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:36 UTC

A bit of two and three. So the easy one is the wallpaper, just the one
that Windows 10 chooses for me (maybe I should change that sometime).
Icons, quite a few so a section for utilities/tools, one for documents
(mostly related to TT RPG's), one for games I'm currently playing but
also ones that I'm think of playing next or going back to. The last one
is games that I generally got for free but but haven't yet got around to
moving them into a number of game genre folders.

What I really don't have is anything in particular that I can't access
pretty much directly from the desktop.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<sm0cyykgbzd.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13421&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13421

From: anssi.sa...@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:45:10 +0300
sha1:zuD+wsZmjQSp3qswoiiSXy92pU0=
 by: Anssi Saari - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:45 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:

> 2) I like things clean: a tasteful predictable
> wallpaper, and my most commonly used apps or
> documents easily available.

I'm closest to this, with my Windows game system desktop. I use John's
background switcher which loads wallpapers from where ever. Mostly
they're nice or just a little weird.

I have a "Tools" folder on the ddesltop for quick access to some
things. Not many things these days but maybe that's coming back. Windows
seems to be moving away from the "tap windows key and type part of app
name" type of usage since it's started to sometimes offer web results
only, for apps it full well knows I have. Not that I have many apps,
mostly just games.

Other icons are the "This PC" or whatever it's called. No trash can or
whatsit nor "My Docuemts" or that stuff. I think I still have a "Games"
folder but that's fairly pointless, I just launch from Steam or Epic or
GoG Galaxy these days. I have some oldish game launcher icons on the
desktop too which I should clean up.

Stuff in the background is probably just AutoHotKey and Emacs. Oh, MEGA
for a sync tool.

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<d906gidbbs7esivuu31gaae333l4mjlmb2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13424&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13424

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:54:02 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:54 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:18:34 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Get back to us when you have a wall of monitors (at least 20) set up to
>display as a single monitor like they do in the movies.

I've considered that! Well, not twenty monitors... but more than I
already have.

Problems to overcome:

a) I'd need more monitors and - as important - identical
monitors. Considering my sourcing method for new
display hardware, that is unlikely to happen.

b) I'd need more display ports on my computer. Which means
multiple hundred-dollar GPUs.

c) I'd need more electrical outlets. The lights already dim
when I power on the PC! ;-)

d) I'd need more wall! Big monitors take up big room.

But once solutions to all these minor issues are figured out, I'll
definitely expand to 20 monitors! You can never have enough desktop!
;-P

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<lk06gipe953sj8e5c0bdbc4cb2avfopom0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13425&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13425

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:03:01 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:03 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:45:07 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>But I think I requested your numerical assessment, sir.

My review score for your set-up is three kumquats-in-a-teapot out of
total score of twenty-three flesh-eating wasps, hopefully proving that
my numerical assessments are just as CRAP as my polls ;-)

>Well? What Harry Potter house do I belong in?

Your house is 12 Privet Drive, which is just down the lane from where
Harry grew up. It's quite nice, with some pleasant shrubbery with
laurels besides some other shrubbery only slightly higher, so that you
get this two level effect with a path down the middle...

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<2846gihn99m9phc47bfh4kgbo78nlffvsh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13437&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13437

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:56:58 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:56 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:03:01 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:45:07 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>But I think I requested your numerical assessment, sir.
>
>My review score for your set-up is three kumquats-in-a-teapot out of
>total score of twenty-three flesh-eating wasps, hopefully proving that
>my numerical assessments are just as CRAP as my polls ;-)

Ah, that is quite baffling - and not a choice you offered - but thank
you. I choose that one.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Quick, What's On Your Desktop?!?

<udv84v$2lqt5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13444&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13444

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:16:48 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:16 UTC

On 9/14/2023 5:54 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:18:34 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Get back to us when you have a wall of monitors (at least 20) set up to
>> display as a single monitor like they do in the movies.
>
> I've considered that! Well, not twenty monitors... but more than I
> already have.
>
> Problems to overcome:
>
> a) I'd need more monitors and - as important - identical
> monitors. Considering my sourcing method for new
> display hardware, that is unlikely to happen.
>
> b) I'd need more display ports on my computer. Which means
> multiple hundred-dollar GPUs.

I suspect there is software or a piece of hardware that could do that.
The real issue trying to do it native on the PC is the OS is almost
certainly NOT coded to handle more than two monitors.

> c) I'd need more electrical outlets. The lights already dim
> when I power on the PC! ;-)
>
> d) I'd need more wall! Big monitors take up big room.
>

> But once solutions to all these minor issues are figured out, I'll
> definitely expand to 20 monitors! You can never have enough desktop!
> ;-P

dirty old man.