From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: newsgroup membership
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 20:59:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 20:59 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

>>I've been on Usenet since 1996. : )
>
> What about this group?

Hi badgolferman,

Since I'm always striving to be purposefully helpful, bear in mind that
Jolly Roger had, for years, an X-No-Archive in his headers.

That means he wasn't archived by DejaNews.Google searches for a time.

Even so, he showed up in my August 2009 searches so he flips that header on
and off it seems (I had never cared enough to notice it flipping though).

Also, it's quite likely that the mac computer groups existed well before
this iPhone (and subsequently Michelle's iPad) newsgroups did.

I think comp.mobile.android may have been created at about the same time as
misc.phone.mobile.iphone, but I'm not sure as I had Kyocera, Motorola Razrs
and Blackberry devices in those early days.

Hence, there are a handful of relevant dates to consider in your searches:
<http://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

Certainly this group wasn't created until the first iPhone was created,
although the iPod existed before the iPhone (June 29, 2007) was released.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully help answer the history of the ng.

Re: newsgroup membership

<090320231638161151%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13386&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13386

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 16:38:16 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 21:38 UTC

In article <tudhbr$v8l5$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> Also, it's quite likely that the mac computer groups existed well before
> this iPhone (and subsequently Michelle's iPad) newsgroups did.

mac computer groups go back to 1984 when the mac was introduced.

from june, 1984:
<https://info-mac.org/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=17097&sid=110723ced85224e553
302bcb2636ed09>
INFO-MAC is now gateway'd onto USENET as fa.info-mac. Welcome to
all USENET readers!

comp.sys.mac.* was born with the great renaming in 1987. prior to that,
there were mac groups in the net.* hierarchy.

> I think comp.mobile.android may have been created at about the same time as
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,

nope. it came later.

the first android phone was late 2008, which amusingly enough did not
have an analog headphone jack. that's one of the few things android did
do first.

> Certainly this group wasn't created until the first iPhone was created,
> although the iPod existed before the iPhone (June 29, 2007) was released.

the iphone was announced on jan 9, 2007 at macworld expo, to ship in
june, with a lot of discussion in a variety of forums, not just usenet.

prior to this group's creation, some of it was in alt.cellular.attws
because the iphone was initially an at& exclusive phone.