"Faith: not *wanting* to know what is true." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Time Machine won't back up

SubjectAuthor
* Time Machine won't back upMel C
+- Re: Time Machine won't back upPercival John Hackworth
`- Re: Time Machine won't back upYour Name

1
Time Machine won't back up

<9d5cfc1e-b841-4a62-b98a-00067417dcean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13383&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13383

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 16:54:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Time Machine won't back up
From: melc...@gmail.com (Mel C)
 by: Mel C - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 00:54 UTC

With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB external hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year. Now an attempted Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing light on the Passport but no backup. Disk Warrior 5.0 on each of the laptop and Passport fixed a few errors, but no fix for the "flashing light but no backup" problem. Any ideas to fix the problem? Thanks.

Re: Time Machine won't back up

<j1iu48Fhsr1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13386&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13386

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Time Machine won't back up
Date: 11 Dec 2021 06:17:44 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 06:17 UTC

On 10-Dec-2021 at 4:54:49PM PST, "Mel C" <melcom4@gmail.com> wrote:

> With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB external
> hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year. Now an attempted
> Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing light on the Passport but
> no backup. Disk Warrior 5.0 on each of the laptop and Passport fixed a few
> errors, but no fix for the "flashing light but no backup" problem. Any ideas
> to fix the problem? Thanks.

If the data is important and you can still access it, buy another drive from
another brand. I like Hitachi drives but YMMV.
See if TimeMachine will work with the new drive. If yes, then I suspect the
drive or the cable. Try swaping cables and see if the problem happens to the
new drive with the old cable. If no problem, then it's up to you if you want
to keep the old data or if it's OK to wipe old drive and see if it will work
with TimeMachine.

If the new drive doesn't work with TimeMachine, I'd buy CarbonCopyCloner and
clone your system to the new drive, wipe your system drive and do a new
install. Then when the system asks if you want to migrate right after it
installs the OS, use your copy on the new drive to restore your configuration.
You'll clean up a lot of cruft. Does TimeMachine work with the old drive?
Does it work with the new drive?

These are some of the things I'd try.

Re: Time Machine won't back up

<sp1hbn$1r5c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13387&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13387

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 19:44:07 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 06:44 UTC

On 2021-12-11 00:54:49 +0000, Mel C said:

> With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB
> external hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year.
> Now an attempted Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing
> light on the Passport but no backup. Disk Warrior 5.0 on each of the
> laptop and Passport fixed a few errors, but no fix for the "flashing
> light but no backup" problem. Any ideas to fix the problem? Thanks.

Maybe TimeMachine was running out of space on the external drive, so is
performing a cleanup, which can take a while, especially on a slow
connection.

Personally I detest Time Machine and Versions. It's a rather silly
methodology that keeps multiple old copies of everything, which just
wastes drive space. I use Carbon Copy Cloner instead.