"Here comes Mr. Bill's dog." -- Narrator, Saturday Night Live

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

SubjectAuthor
* Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacSeif Bassiouny
+* Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacWolffan
|+- Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacHHI
|`* Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacYour Name
| `- Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacSTALKING_TARGET_55
+- Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacAlan Browne
`* Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacYK
 `* Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacLewis
  +- Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacDustin who does stuff with miceless computers
  `- Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my MacSteve Carroll

1
Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<d01c62aa-8ac8-411a-ba57-2125328a942cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13431&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13431

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 04:22:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac
From: eag7bsei...@gmail.com (Seif Bassiouny)
 by: Seif Bassiouny - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:22 UTC

Dear friends,

Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this normal?

How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday.

I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running. any recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<0001HW.2768CBD7027CB063700004E1E38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13432&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13432

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 07:55:51 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:55 UTC

On 2021 Dec 14, Seif Bassiouny wrote
(in article<d01c62aa-8ac8-411a-ba57-2125328a942cn@googlegroups.com>):

> Dear friends,
>
> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this
> normal?

no. Chrome on this Mac uses 742 MB. Version 96.something, last modified 3 Dec
2021. 24 GB is far too big.

> How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday.

Do you have Safari? if so, delete Chrome, download a new version direct from
Google, drive on.

Personally I’d just delete Chrome. I have it around just because, and
rarely use it. I mostly use Firefox. If I had a problem with Chrome it’d be
outtahere and FF or Safari or Brave or Vivaldi or any of a dozen others would
be running instead. (Not Edge. Never Edge. Microsoft would have to pay me
before I’d use Edge, and they can’t afford what I’d charge.)

> I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running.
> any recommendation is appreciated.

Odds are that the application package has a problem. Google’s QA has
deteriorated recently, and wasn’t that great in the first place.

> Thanks in advance

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<8D2uJ.132759$SW5.64675@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13434&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13434

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 10:20:36 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:20 UTC

On 2021-12-14 07:22, Seif Bassiouny wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Chrome is

<sniff> troll?

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<spadtm$1ukr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13435&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13435

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 10:40:36 -0500
 by: YK - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:40 UTC

On 12/14/21 7:22 AM, Seif Bassiouny wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this normal?
>
> How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday.
>
> I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running. any recommendation is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance

Have you checked to see how many versions the computer is holding? Right
click on the Chrome application and select "Show Package Contents". The
check the Versions folder. You have a lot old versions still in the folder

YK

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<0c8cb36f-61b2-4902-8600-189276d30aben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13436&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13436

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:01:24 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (HHI)
 by: HHI - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:01 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:55:59 AM UTC-7, Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Dec 14, Seif Bassiouny wrote
> (in article<d01c62aa-8ac8-411a...@googlegroups.com>):
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this
> > normal?
> no. Chrome on this Mac uses 742 MB. Version 96.something, last modified 3 Dec
> 2021. 24 GB is far too big.
> >

> > How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday.
> Do you have Safari? if so, delete Chrome, download a new version direct from
> Google, drive on.
>
> Personally I’d just delete Chrome. I have it around just because, and
> rarely use it. I mostly use Firefox. If I had a problem with Chrome it’d be
> outtahere and FF or Safari or Brave or Vivaldi or any of a dozen others would
> be running instead. (Not Edge. Never Edge. Microsoft would have to pay me
> before I’d use Edge, and they can’t afford what I’d charge.)
> >

> > I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running.
> > any recommendation is appreciated.
> Odds are that the application package has a problem. Google’s QA has
> deteriorated recently, and wasn’t that great in the first place.
> >

> > Thanks in advance

Why would Dustin need shills? He is the one who supplies facts for his side
of the "debates". Already moved on from that. Keep up!

Pothead shows this is an insomniac troll writing because some of them are
keyed in to posts that occur in very specific ways with clear thought behind
them. Which can only be Pothead.

Pothead's behavior is totally in all respects unfair. There is no dispute
that as soon as any recent 'filtered person' does one thing to wound the
little milksop's feelings that they will be ignored again. Nobody who isn't
just using you for nefarious ends (isn't a sock/shill) sees you as anything
remotely close to good. You have few but me to credit for that. Another
pint you mean, Pothead drinks them down damned quick.

--
Get Rich Slow!
https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=%22functional%20illiterate%20fraud%22

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<slrnsrhtmh.2fp.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13439&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13439

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:56:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:56 UTC

In message <spadtm$1ukr$1@gioia.aioe.org> YK <youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 12/14/21 7:22 AM, Seif Bassiouny wrote:
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this normal?
>>
>> How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday.
>>
>> I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running. any recommendation is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance

> Have you checked to see how many versions the computer is holding? Right
> click on the Chrome application and select "Show Package Contents". The
> check the Versions folder. You have a lot old versions still in the folder

It's easier to just delete Chrome.

.... and reinstall it if you must. A lot faster than digging around to
find out how it b0rked itself and trying to fix it.

--
We understand the importance of having the bondage between the parent
and the child.

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<spatro$dmo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13440&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13440

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:12:40 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:12 UTC

On 2021-12-14 12:55:51 +0000, Wolffan said:
> On 2021 Dec 14, Seif Bassiouny wrote
> (in article<d01c62aa-8ac8-411a-ba57-2125328a942cn@googlegroups.com>):
>>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this
>> normal?
>
> no. Chrome on this Mac uses 742 MB. Version 96.something, last modified 3 Dec
> 2021. 24 GB is far too big.

As YK said in another post, it's most likely that the main culprit is
the Versions folder within the app still retaining multiple old
unneeded versions of the app:
<https://medium.com/@ezekeal/why-does-chrome-take-up-so-much-space-on-my-mac-4381d99c09d1>

One possibility why it isn't deleting those old versions is if the app
has been moved to a sub-folder rather than just in Applications. For
some people moving it confuses the app (typical Google bad programming)
and the old versions just keep piling up inside the app's structure.

It could also depend on where that number is being obtained.

The Finder's Get Info for the app itself should be around 742MB, but if
you're using a storage analyser such as CleanMyMac's Uninstaller, then
it may be including the supporting files and folders within Library ...
and if you use Chrome a lot it can add quite a bit of local cache
files, etc. (I rarely use Chrome, but it has a further 91MB in
Application Support/Google and 27MB in Caches/Google.)

To ge rid of some of that excess external space-hogging, go into
Chrome's preferences and clear the caches and cookies in Privacy and
security, and the three areas in Auto-fill ... NOTE: Clearing these
will erase some website settings (e.g. YouTube's auto-play setting) and
log you out of websites, so you'll have to log in again.

Another possibility may also be extra extensions (you have already
cleaned) and themes that have been added, but I'm not sure where the
themes are stored.

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<ac3eea8f-e772-482e-9e17-9c0c8227efc0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13442&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13442

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:30:36 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (STALKING_TARGET_55)
 by: STALKING_TARGET_55 - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 00:30 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 1:12:46 PM UTC-7, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-12-14 12:55:51 +0000, Wolffan said:
> > On 2021 Dec 14, Seif Bassiouny wrote
> > (in article<d01c62aa-8ac8-411a...@googlegroups.com>):
> >>
> >> Dear friends,
> >>
> >> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this
> >> normal?
> >
> > no. Chrome on this Mac uses 742 MB. Version 96.something, last modified 3 Dec
> > 2021. 24 GB is far too big.
> As YK said in another post, it's most likely that the main culprit is
> the Versions folder within the app still retaining multiple old
> unneeded versions of the app:
> <https://medium.com/@ezekeal/why-does-chrome-take-up-so-much-space-on-my-mac-4381d99c09d1>
>

> One possibility why it isn't deleting those old versions is if the app
> has been moved to a sub-folder rather than just in Applications. For
> some people moving it confuses the app (typical Google bad programming)
> and the old versions just keep piling up inside the app's structure.
>

> It could also depend on where that number is being obtained.
>
> The Finder's Get Info for the app itself should be around 742MB, but if
> you're using a storage analyser such as CleanMyMac's Uninstaller, then
> it may be including the supporting files and folders within Library ...
> and if you use Chrome a lot it can add quite a bit of local cache
> files, etc. (I rarely use Chrome, but it has a further 91MB in
> Application Support/Google and 27MB in Caches/Google.)
>
> To ge rid of some of that excess external space-hogging, go into
> Chrome's preferences and clear the caches and cookies in Privacy and
> security, and the three areas in Auto-fill ... NOTE: Clearing these
> will erase some website settings (e.g. YouTube's auto-play setting) and
> log you out of websites, so you'll have to log in again.
>
> Another possibility may also be extra extensions (you have already
> cleaned) and themes that have been added, but I'm not sure where the
> themes are stored.

A shadow of cognition, projected quickly, at the wrong time.

Just rubbish from him. But Jeff Relf has thoroughly left reason behind
and is simply holding me culpable for the acts of himself. Your system
will crawl while downloading the mass of flood posts. So Jeff Relf changed
his story to responding to any sock of his. The one skill Jeff Relf learned
fully is to work to guilt Rbowman into submission and if that does not
work, troll-splain or completely change the assertion. Jeff Relf is the
only person I know who had a 'demo site' intended to dox me that quickly
turned into JavaScript errors with rectangles where pictures/animations
used to be, and if you hovered over it, you would be reading about a DMCA
that was deleted for slander.

--
Top Six Ways Jeff Relf Trolls
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve%20Petruzzellis%20narcissistic%20bigot

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<3545c2d9-f49b-498a-8bac-566b50ba6518n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13446&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13446

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:26:01 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Dustin who does stuff with miceless computers)
 by: Dustin who does stuf - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 03:26 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 12:56:06 PM UTC-7, Lewis wrote:
> In message <spadtm$1ukr$1...@gioia.aioe.org> YK <youki...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 12/14/21 7:22 AM, Seif Bassiouny wrote:
> >> Dear friends,
> >>
> >> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this normal?
> >>
> >> How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday..
> >>
> >> I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running. any recommendation is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
>
> > Have you checked to see how many versions the computer is holding? Right
> > click on the Chrome application and select "Show Package Contents". The
> > check the Versions folder. You have a lot old versions still in the folder
> It's easier to just delete Chrome.
>
> ... and reinstall it if you must. A lot faster than digging around to
> find out how it b0rked itself and trying to fix it.
>
> --
> We understand the importance of having the bondage between the parent
> and the child.

You can say I am the Pope for all I care.

Various individuals who've known Troll Master Steve Carroll for quite a
while, and also have experience with him highly advise forgetting him to
get him to troll someplace else. As long as Snit and anyone else continues
to tickle his belly, he won't seek to be the focus of every thread someplace
else. Frankly I do not really give a shit. We're all sorry Troll Master Steve
Carroll's a paranoid, narcissistic, delusional liar but that's not gonna
change anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

--
One Smart Penny
<https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/results?name=4234911448&Diesel&Gremlin&Dustin_Cook>

Re: Google Chrome is taking up 24GB on my Mac

<09431e4e-20f2-453d-a94b-8d158364d443n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13448&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13448

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:28:52 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Steve Carroll)
 by: Steve Carroll - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 04:28 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 12:56:06 PM UTC-7, Lewis wrote:
> In message <spadtm$1ukr$1...@gioia.aioe.org> YK <youki...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 12/14/21 7:22 AM, Seif Bassiouny wrote:
> >> Dear friends,
> >>
> >> Chrome is taking up too much storage on my mac hard disk (24 gb), is this normal?
> >>
> >> How do I go about reducing the storage, i use the application everyday.
> >>
> >> I removed all unnecessary extensions and now have only 3 extensions running. any recommendation is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
>
> > Have you checked to see how many versions the computer is holding? Right
> > click on the Chrome application and select "Show Package Contents". The
> > check the Versions folder. You have a lot old versions still in the folder
> It's easier to just delete Chrome.
>
> ... and reinstall it if you must. A lot faster than digging around to
> find out how it b0rked itself and trying to fix it.
>
> --
> We understand the importance of having the bondage between the parent
> and the child.

Do you believe the lies Snit sock Michael Glasser Snit is pushing? Just
look at Snit sock Michael Glasser Snit's programs and look at mine, there
is nothing for us to learn from an idiot like Snit sock Michael Glasser
Snit. But so be it, let him keep making a fool of himself.

If you have 'some-file.doc' open in a word processor such as gedit and
Snit sock Michael Glasser Snit wants to change its name to 'c.txt' via
a proxy icon when installing a new DE, that might be useful.

-
Curious how these posts are made? https://youtu.be/hYQ4Tg0r0g0