From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: apple had 8 of 10 best selling phones in 2022
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 15:36:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 15:36 UTC

Chris wrote:

>> I think I have an idea what I'm talking about. I use iPhones since 2008
>> and Nexus/Pixels since 2016. Android phones despite being cheaper they
>> are a waste of money for a Mac-user. BTW: I use Macs since 2005.
>
> I'm pleased for you.
>
> Your experience isn't the same mine: as a Mac user I was perfectly capable
> of also using an Android phone.

Hi Chris,

This is intended to be an adult discourse based on the two quotes above.

While Joerg only regurgitates what he was fed by Apple to believe, I own
both platforms and use both daily where the main DIFFERENCES between the
platforms are in the walled garden and in crippled functionality.

Other than that, like Chris astutely assessed, anyone with any normal
intelligence can easily use the two platforms to do the main things.
a. Communicate via cell & messaging
b. Interact with the Internet via browsers & other apps

Where iOS excels over Android, IMHO, is _inside_ the walled garden, e.g.,
when interacting with Apple product lines, although Android, with some
effort, can be made to interact with Apple products (not as easily though).

*That's just an honest assessment of fact.*

Where Android excels over iOS, IMHO, is that you can do anything you want
to do with it because Google allows apps that Apple won't allow (such as
fake GPS mock location spoofing or automatic call recorders or Wi-Fi and
cellular graphical signal strength debugging tools, etc.).

*That's just an honest assessment of fact.*

Where Android also excels over iOS, IMHO, is you can even do things that
you want to do but which Google does not allow on their app store (such as
FOSS YouTube clients, and FOSS Google Play Store clients, and FOSS mail
user agents which don't create a mothership account on the device, and FOSS
system-wide on-device firewalls which also perform ad blocking, etc.).

*That's just an honest assessment of fact.*

In summary, if you remain completely inside the walled garden, then iOS
devices work better (in some ways) than do Android and Windows/Linux; but
if you stray out side the walled garden, then the only place iOS works as
well as Android is in communication (phone & messaging); but nowhere else.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to respond to Joerg's and Chris' specific comments.