The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!

SubjectAuthor
* Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!rms
+* Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!Werner P.
|`- Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!candycanearter07
+- Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!Spalls Hurgenson
`- Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!JAB

1
Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!

<ue0bqf$2u005$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13460&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13460

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:25:33 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 01:25 UTC

They said it couldn't be done! Ok, they never said that, but still seems
rather out of the blue. Forums say 'AI enhanced' textures, but if they make
engine fixes for mobile & controller use, and widescreen+high framerates,
could certainly be worth it for franchise fans. Check it out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/

rms

Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!

<ue11os$350is$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13462&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13462

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:40:12 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 07:40 UTC

Am 15.09.23 um 03:25 schrieb rms:
> They said it couldn't be done!  Ok, they never said that, but still
> seems rather out of the blue.  Forums say 'AI enhanced' textures, but if
> they make engine fixes for mobile & controller use, and widescreen+high
> framerates, could certainly be worth it for franchise fans.  Check it out!
>
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/
>
> rms
I saw it on the Nintendo direct yesterday, I was quite suprised, the
info was rather vague, but it seems like it is the original games with
visual enhancements, and a switch where you can switch between old and
new visuals more or less like Monkey Island was remastered.
The problem until now with the remakes of the old games was they took
out vital parts of the old games and simplified or cut them out because
it was deemed bad design. Not entirely untrue but on the other hand the
games lost some of their most pivotal moments that way, and yes they are
rough from a modern pov they sometimes have a bad design, but given they
were among the first 3d platformers it is understandable and they are so
well beloved that a faithful remaster would be great!

Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!

<ue1jj8$383vo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13467&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13467

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 07:44:24 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:44 UTC

On 9/15/23 02:40, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 15.09.23 um 03:25 schrieb rms:
>> They said it couldn't be done!  Ok, they never said that, but still
>> seems rather out of the blue.  Forums say 'AI enhanced' textures, but
>> if they make engine fixes for mobile & controller use, and
>> widescreen+high framerates, could certainly be worth it for franchise
>> fans.  Check it out!
>>
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/
>>
>> rms
> I saw it on the Nintendo direct yesterday, I was quite suprised, the
> info was rather vague, but it seems like it is the original games with
> visual enhancements, and a switch where you can switch between old and
> new visuals more or less like Monkey Island was remastered.
> The problem until now with the remakes of the old games was they took
> out vital parts of the old games and simplified or cut them out because
> it was deemed bad design. Not entirely untrue but on the other hand the
> games lost some of their most pivotal moments that way, and yes they are
> rough from a modern pov they sometimes have a bad design, but given they
> were among the first 3d platformers it is understandable and they are so
> well beloved that a faithful remaster would be great!

Nintendo seems to be caring about its past again (TTYD HYPEEEEE)

Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!

<f8t8gi9dujluu27vqtdg4v2cnv6il37vgc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13468&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13468

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:23:48 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:23 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:25:33 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>They said it couldn't be done! Ok, they never said that, but still seems
>rather out of the blue. Forums say 'AI enhanced' textures, but if they make
>engine fixes for mobile & controller use, and widescreen+high framerates,
>could certainly be worth it for franchise fans. Check it out!
>
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/

Hopefully they (greatly) improve the controls and cameras. The older
visuals aren't too bad... with the exception of the character models.
The game actually holds up quite well (considering its age) in terms
of texturing and lighting. But those character models? They're
freakish, and are one of the major reasons its difficult for me to
play the game.

The original game is still quite fun. The sequels... less so. As the
franchise expanded, her character and the gameplay started to become
overburdened with too many new features and traits. But the first game
was an exciting modern-day dungeon-crawl.

Of course, that's probably what that game /already/ saw a remake in
2007. Which - except for all the quick-time events - was pretty good
too.

But I suppose I'll eventually add the remasters to my library. But
definitely not at the $30 asking price. Remasters are acquired only at
bargin-pin pricing for me. ;-)

Re: Tomb Raider 1-3 ..... Remastered?!

<ue3pvd$3ofgl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13472&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13472

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:45:31 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:45 UTC

On 15/09/2023 02:25, rms wrote:
> They said it couldn't be done!  Ok, they never said that, but still
> seems rather out of the blue.  Forums say 'AI enhanced' textures, but if
> they make engine fixes for mobile & controller use, and widescreen+high
> framerates, could certainly be worth it for franchise fans.  Check it out!
>
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/

I rather liked (I don't think it was a great game but it's just in the
category of I was quite happy to play it for an hour here and there)
the original TR but it does feel like it's a game where the industry has
just moved on too far from it to be of interest to me now.

The price tag doesn't help.