From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Matrix Screen saver released
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 12:47:46 +0100
 by: Richard Ashbery - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 11:47 UTC

In article <ap.e9b738593d.a701a0a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk>, Richard
Coleman <coleman@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I came across a YouTube video on writing a Matrix screensaver and
> so have converted it to RISC OS.

> You can download it from
> http://coleman.orpheusweb.co.uk/downloads/matrix_v100.zip

> It's written in BASIC and makes use of ZapRedraw 0.40.

> I've not been able to find any previous Matrix screensaver on RISC
> OS, so we can now enjoy the Matrix rain whilst we wait for the next
> film to come out.

> Enjoy!

Excellent - great conversion!

Richard

Re: Matrix Screen saver released

<593e782668news@rjdarby.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1344&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1344

From: new...@rjdarby.co.uk (Richard Darby (news))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 11:38:28 +0100
 by: Richard Darby (news) - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 10:38 UTC

In article <593dfaa880basura@invalid.addr.uk>,
Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> In article <ap.e9b738593d.a701a0a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk>, Richard
> Coleman <coleman@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > I came across a YouTube video on writing a Matrix screensaver and
> > so have converted it to RISC OS.

> > You can download it from
> > http://coleman.orpheusweb.co.uk/downloads/matrix_v100.zip

> > It's written in BASIC and makes use of ZapRedraw 0.40.

> > I've not been able to find any previous Matrix screensaver on RISC
> > OS, so we can now enjoy the Matrix rain whilst we wait for the next
> > film to come out.

> > Enjoy!

> Excellent - great conversion!

I'm not a great fan of screen savers, but this works very well.

I have one suggestion. It needs to be saved in the screen savers
directory. RC gives this location as (BootResources:Configure.ScrSavers)
which is not in !Boot.Resources.Configure as a quick reading might
suggest. You need to open a Task Window and prefix the path variable
BootResources: with Filer_OpenDir , this will open the correct directory.

Or better still, if RC included an Obey file containing the line:
Filer_OpenDir BootResources:Configure.ScrSavers
in the zip file, then a quick double click on this file would open the
required directory making installation dead simple.

Richard Darby.

--

Richard Darby.
website: http://www.rjdarby.co.uk

Re: Matrix Screen saver released

<593e94ed23basura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1347&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1347

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 16:52:47 +0100
 by: Richard Ashbery - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 15:52 UTC

In article <593e782668news@rjdarby.co.uk>, Richard Darby (news)
<news@rjdarby.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593dfaa880basura@invalid.addr.uk>, Richard Ashbery
> <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> > In article <ap.e9b738593d.a701a0a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk>,
> > Richard Coleman <coleman@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I'm not a great fan of screen savers, but this works very well.

> I have one suggestion. It needs to be saved in the screen savers
> directory. RC gives this location as
> (BootResources:Configure.ScrSavers) which is not in
> !Boot.Resources.Configure as a quick reading might suggest. You
> need to open a Task Window and prefix the path variable
> BootResources: with Filer_OpenDir , this will open the correct
> directory.

> Or better still, if RC included an Obey file containing the line:
> Filer_OpenDir BootResources:Configure.ScrSavers in the zip file,
> then a quick double click on this file would open the required
> directory making installation dead simple.

Excellent tip.

One minor point: If in Boot > Configuration > Screen you have Random
option set then Matrix requires the # character next to it to be
removed in the Settings... text box. If not it'll never run.

Richard