From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Shared Libs
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:45:24 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:45 UTC

Hi,

I'm trying to get !YTPlay to work. It complains that

SharedLibs:lib.ld-riscos/so/1

is not found as does Python.

I looked in Packman & there are several Shared Libs there. How do I
ascertain which, if any, is the one I want?

--
Chris Newman

Re: Shared Libs

<uXB*T8ony@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1349&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1349

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Shared Libs
Date: 23 Jun 2021 23:59:00 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:59 UTC

Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get !YTPlay to work. It complains that
>
> SharedLibs:lib.ld-riscos/so/1
>
> is not found as does Python.
>
> I looked in Packman & there are several Shared Libs there. How do I
> ascertain which, if any, is the one I want?

It's in the SharedLibs package.

http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Develop/gcc/SharedLibs_4.0-Rel5-1.zip
although you should ideally install it via PackMan.

Theo

Re: Shared Libs

<59414feaf1cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1350&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1350

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:07:38 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:07 UTC

In article <uXB*T8ony@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get !YTPlay to work. It complains that
> >
> > SharedLibs:lib.ld-riscos/so/1
> >
> > is not found as does Python.
> >
> > I looked in Packman & there are several Shared Libs there. How do I
> > ascertain which, if any, is the one I want?

> It's in the SharedLibs package.

> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Develop/gcc/SharedLibs_4.0-Rel5-1.zip
> although you should ideally install it via PackMan.

> Theo

Thanks. I presume that's the same as "The shared libraries directory &
ELF loader" which is the first one in PackMan.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Shared Libs

<mpro.qv6htl03cal8m021b.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1351&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1351

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:41:50 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:41 UTC

On 24 Jun, Chris Newman wrote in message
<59414feaf1cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> Thanks. I presume that's the same as "The shared libraries directory & ELF
> loader" which is the first one in PackMan.

Yes, but if you've installed Python via PackMan, it will sort the shared
libraries out for you (assuming that you've not confused the system by
hand-installing any shared libraries at some point).

You can also install YTPlay via the package on Raik's site (not the manual
Zip file): drag the package to PackMan, and it will sort the packaged
dependencies out for you and leave you to do the manual bits at the end.
It's the file marked as

Download als RISC OS Package-file (without "Lite"): YTPlay

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Shared Libs

<594192fa0dcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1352&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1352

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:20:06 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:20 UTC

In article <mpro.qv6htl03cal8m021b.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>, Steve Fryatt
<news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Jun, Chris Newman wrote in message
> <59414feaf1cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> > Thanks. I presume that's the same as "The shared libraries directory
> > & ELF loader" which is the first one in PackMan.

> Yes, but if you've installed Python via PackMan, it will sort the
> shared libraries out for you (assuming that you've not confused the
> system by hand-installing any shared libraries at some point).

> You can also install YTPlay via the package on Raik's site (not the
> manual Zip file): drag the package to PackMan, and it will sort the
> packaged dependencies out for you and leave you to do the manual bits
> at the end. It's the file marked as

> Download als RISC OS Package-file (without "Lite"): YTPlay

Thanks, Steve. I was watching Dog Webb's presentation on the WROCC videos
& then I stumbled across YTPlay pre-installed on my RiscOSBits Pi Hard,
presumably by Andy. Pythons3 & 27 were in the same directory but I know
not at this stage if they've been properly installed. I'll continue to
'speriment when time permits.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Shared Libs

<mpro.qv80bl00w0jo901ve.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1353&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1353

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:19:02 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:19 UTC

On 24 Jun, Chris Newman wrote in message
<594192fa0dcvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> Thanks, Steve. I was watching Dog Webb's presentation on the WROCC videos
> & then I stumbled across YTPlay pre-installed on my RiscOSBits Pi Hard,
> presumably by Andy. Pythons3 & 27 were in the same directory but I know
> not at this stage if they've been properly installed. I'll continue to
> 'speriment when time permits.

It might be worth waiting for the June issue of The WROCC, which I'm editing
this week: Doug's post-meeting notes should be included and are quite
detailed (thanks, Doug!). There's also a comment in them about pre-existing
installations of Python being unhelpful.

The problem with packaging stuff is getting things that were installed
pre-packaging under control at the start. RISC OS is the only platform where
this is an issue (on Windows or Linux you'll install the OS via package
management to start with), sadly.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Shared Libs

<5941c4b1bdcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1354&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1354

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:23:11 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:23 UTC

In article <mpro.qv80bl00w0jo901ve.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>, Steve Fryatt
<news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Jun, Chris Newman wrote in message
> <594192fa0dcvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> > Thanks, Steve. I was watching Dog Webb's presentation on the WROCC
> > videos & then I stumbled across YTPlay pre-installed on my RiscOSBits
> > Pi Hard, presumably by Andy. Pythons3 & 27 were in the same directory
> > but I know not at this stage if they've been properly installed. I'll
> > continue to 'speriment when time permits.

> It might be worth waiting for the June issue of The WROCC, which I'm
> editing this week: Doug's post-meeting notes should be included and are
> quite detailed (thanks, Doug!). There's also a comment in them about
> pre-existing installations of Python being unhelpful.

> The problem with packaging stuff is getting things that were installed
> pre-packaging under control at the start. RISC OS is the only platform
> where this is an issue (on Windows or Linux you'll install the OS via
> package management to start with), sadly.

Will do. Thanks for all your hard work.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Shared Libs

<59443c0f1bcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1355&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1355

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:19:22 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:19 UTC

In article <1f67c54359.John@rickman.argonet..co.uk>, John Rickman
<rickman@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <mpro.qv6htl03cal8m021b.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve
> Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> > On 24 Jun, Chris Newman wrote in message
> > <59414feaf1cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> >> Thanks. I presume that's the same as "The shared libraries directory
> >> & ELF loader" which is the first one in PackMan.

> > Yes, but if you've installed Python via PackMan, it will sort the
> > shared libraries out for you (assuming that you've not confused the
> > system by hand-installing any shared libraries at some point).

> > You can also install YTPlay via the package on Raik's site (not the
> > manual Zip file): drag the package to PackMan, and it will sort the
> > packaged dependencies out for you and leave you to do the manual bits
> > at the end. It's the file marked as

> > Download als RISC OS Package-file (without "Lite"): YTPlay

> Are you using Iris? Iris installs its own version of SharedLibs and
> knocks out the default system version. This stops Python working.

That might explain a lot. Bit of a gotcha.

--
Chris Newman