From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Little Snitch?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:16:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:16 UTC

While trying to address some issues that involved ceaseless demands for
logins, I started trying to unload some 3rd party stuff. One of the ones I
unloaded was Little Snitch which I had used for years. I don't think it was
responsible for my issues, which were eventually addressed, but I can't be
positive, since it was in fact removed.

Nonetheless, I'm curious if others make consistent use of Little Snitch. One
of the main reasons I wanted to adopt it was to keep Adobe, Microsoft and
Google's constant updating and snooping activity under control. I eventually
managed to get rid of all their applications and utilities, but held on to
Little Snitch and at least *thought* it was keeping malevolent forces at bay.

What's the community perspective on this? [Assuming a community not involved
with "apologist" mania or stalkers still exists hereabouts.]

Re: Little Snitch?

<sr1egl$fvb$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13549&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13549

From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Little Snitch?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 12:28:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bje...@ripco.com - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 12:28 UTC

gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> While trying to address some issues that involved ceaseless demands for
> logins, I started trying to unload some 3rd party stuff. One of the ones I
> unloaded was Little Snitch which I had used for years. I don't think it was
> responsible for my issues, which were eventually addressed, but I can't be
> positive, since it was in fact removed.
>
> Nonetheless, I'm curious if others make consistent use of Little Snitch.
> One of the main reasons I wanted to adopt it was to keep Adobe, Microsoft
> and Google's constant updating and snooping activity under control. I
> eventually managed to get rid of all their applications and utilities, but
> held on to Little Snitch and at least *thought* it was keeping malevolent
> forces at bay.

Not really sure what you are asking.

I've been using Little Snitch on a mac that has a real ipv4 address and is
running 24x7. I can't really see how not to use it. It constantly gets
banged on (mostly sshd via launchd).

If you are on a NAT address and are only worried about things from your mac
going outbound and somewhat solved the issues, suppose there is no harm
getting rid of it but it doesn't get in the way of anything, so why not keep
it?

I've been using it for years and can't remember it causing any problems.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

Re: Little Snitch?

<0001HW.27847B950604EDC170000419F38F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13550&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13550

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 07:56:53 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 12:56 UTC

On 2022 Jan 04, gtr wrote
(in article <sr0s85$rbr$1@dont-email.me>):

> While trying to address some issues that involved ceaseless demands for
> logins, I started trying to unload some 3rd party stuff. One of the ones I
> unloaded was Little Snitch which I had used for years. I don't think it was
> responsible for my issues, which were eventually addressed, but I can't be
> positive, since it was in fact removed.
>
> Nonetheless, I'm curious if others make consistent use of Little Snitch. One
> of the main reasons I wanted to adopt it was to keep Adobe, Microsoft and
> Google's constant updating and snooping activity under control. I eventually
> managed to get rid of all their applications and utilities, but held on to
> Little Snitch and at least *thought* it was keeping malevolent forces at bay.
>
> What's the community perspective on this? [Assuming a community not involved
> with "apologist" mania or stalkers still exists hereabouts.]

have used it for a Very Long Time. No observed problems, once I had it
trained; at first it was quite annoying asking about which apps could get
access where. (I mostly told it to deny access and would modify if necessary.
Certain Microsoft and Adobe products started complaining. I got rid of a lot
of Adobe and Microsoft stuff.