"I DO want your money, because god wants your money!" -- The Reverend Jimmy, from _Repo_Man_

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Font required

SubjectAuthor
* Font requiredGraham Pickles
+* Re: Font requiredJohn Williams (News)
|`- Re: Font requiredGraham Pickles
+* Re: Font requiredcharles
|`- Re: Font requiredGraham Pickles
`* Re: Font requiredJonathan Conner
 +- Re: Font requiredGraham Pickles
 `* Re: Font requiredAlan P Dawes
  +- Re: Font requiredcharles
  +- Re: Font requiredM Harding
  `- Re: Font requiredJonathan Conner

1
Font required

<0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1363&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1363

From: gra...@durain.uk (Graham Pickles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Font required
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:15:44 +0100
 by: Graham Pickles - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:15 UTC

I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
far ...

Regards,

--
Graham Pickles
Fortune does not change men it unmasks them. (Suzanne Necker)

Re: Font required

<594b0c142bUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1364&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1364

From: UCE...@tiscali.co.uk (John Williams (News))
Subject: Re: Font required
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:48:41 +0100
 by: John Williams (News) - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:48 UTC

In article <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>,
Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:

> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
> and SANS-SERIF.

I have one called System which seems to be both. It comes in Fixed and
Medium, but I will leave it to you to check if it's actually monospaced.

As it's supposed to be a substitute for the actual system System font, I
would guess it is.

John

Re: Font required

<594b0d12d9charles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1365&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1365

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:59:33 +0100
 by: charles - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:59 UTC

In article <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>,
Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:
> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
> and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
> find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
> can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
> far ...

> Regards,

EFF Evenletter, EFF Swiss Monospaced. Both fit your requirements. I don't
know how you get EFF Fonts these days. I used to drive over to Sunningdale.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Font required

<0cbf6d4b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1366

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: jcc...@arcady.plus.com (Jonathan Conner)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:35:28 +0100
 by: Jonathan Conner - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:35 UTC

In message <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>
Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:

> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
> and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
> find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
> can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
> far ...

A search led me to:

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-eff

AFAICS you can download the disc-image of the EFF PD Fonts CD-ROM from
there.

Have fun!

--
Jonathan Conner (ZFC G) on an iMX6 with RISC OS 5

Re: Font required

<1875714b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1367&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1367

From: gra...@durain.uk (Graham Pickles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:16:00 +0100
 by: Graham Pickles - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:16 UTC

In message <594b0c142bUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
"John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>,
> Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
>> and SANS-SERIF.
>
>I have one called System which seems to be both. It comes in Fixed and
>Medium, but I will leave it to you to check if it's actually monospaced.
>
>As it's supposed to be a substitute for the actual system System font, I
>would guess it is.
>
>John

Not sure that System is monospaced. Anyway the problem is now solved.
Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

--
Graham Pickles
Once you prove something it becomes trivial. (Manuel Blum)

Re: Font required

<19b3714b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1368&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1368

From: gra...@durain.uk (Graham Pickles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:18:39 +0100
 by: Graham Pickles - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:18 UTC

In message <594b0d12d9charles@candehope.me.uk>
charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

>In article <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>,
> Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:
>> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
>> and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
>> find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
>> can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
>> far ...
>
>> Regards,
>
>EFF Evenletter, EFF Swiss Monospaced. Both fit your requirements. I don't
>know how you get EFF Fonts these days. I used to drive over to Sunningdale.

Problem now solved but I must admit I have had great difficulty in
finding EFF fonts. Thanks though for your advice.

Regards,

--
Graham Pickles
If you are not criticized you may not be doing much. (Donald H.

Re: Font required

<edf5714b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1369&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1369

From: gra...@durain.uk (Graham Pickles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:21:30 +0100
 by: Graham Pickles - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:21 UTC

In message <0cbf6d4b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

>In message <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>
> Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
>> and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
>> find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
>> can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
>> far ...
>
>A search led me to:
>
>https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-eff
>
>AFAICS you can download the disc-image of the EFF PD Fonts CD-ROM from
>there.
>
>Have fun!

Problem now solved. However thanks for at least pointing me to the
location of the disc-image of the EFF PD fonts. I had failed to find
any location for getting EFF fonts. Thanks for your advice/help.

Regards,

--
Graham Pickles
Money is better than poverty if only for financial reasons. (Woody

Re: Font required

<594bdaf46dalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1370&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1370

From: alan.da...@riscos.org (Alan P Dawes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:28:19 +0100
 by: Alan P Dawes - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 10:28 UTC

In article <0cbf6d4b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>,
Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:
> In message <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>
> Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:

> > I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
> > and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
> > find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
> > can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
> > far ...

> A search led me to:

> https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-eff

> AFAICS you can download the disc-image of the EFF PD Fonts CD-ROM from
> there.

> Have fun!

It looks like that is just the CD of Public Domain Fonts that EFF
converted to RiscOS using their own software and were giving away at one
of the shows in, I think, 1997. Does anyone know if the high quality
original fonts that EFF made for RiscOS (also windows, MAC and I think
LINUX) are still available? I think I've got a CD of some of them them
somewhere that I bought at a later show.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org

Re: Font required

<594bdcb90bcharles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1371&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1371

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:47:39 +0100
 by: charles - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 10:47 UTC

In article <594bdaf46dalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>,
Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> wrote:
> In article <0cbf6d4b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>,
> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:
> > In message <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>
> > Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:

> > > I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
> > > and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
> > > find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
> > > can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
> > > far ...

> > A search led me to:

> > https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-eff

> > AFAICS you can download the disc-image of the EFF PD Fonts CD-ROM from
> > there.

> > Have fun!

> It looks like that is just the CD of Public Domain Fonts that EFF
> converted to RiscOS using their own software and were giving away at one
> of the shows in, I think, 1997. Does anyone know if the high quality
> original fonts that EFF made for RiscOS (also windows, MAC and I think
> LINUX) are still available? I think I've got a CD of some of them them
> somewhere that I bought at a later show.

> Alan

I've got their Professional Typography CD 2 . 800 fonts!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Font required

<594bdf83adriscos@mdharding.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1372&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1372

From: ris...@mdharding.org.uk (M Harding)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 12:18:07 +0100
 by: M Harding - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:18 UTC

In article <594bdaf46dalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>,
Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> wrote:
> In article <0cbf6d4b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>,
> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

> > A search led me to:

> > https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-eff

> > AFAICS you can download the disc-image of the EFF PD Fonts CD-ROM
> > from there.

> It looks like that is just the CD of Public Domain Fonts that EFF
> converted to RiscOS using their own software and were giving away
> at one of the shows in, I think, 1997. Does anyone know if the high
> quality original fonts that EFF made for RiscOS (also windows, MAC
> and I think LINUX) are still available? I think I've got a CD of
> some of them them somewhere that I bought at a later show.

As I understand it, when Dr Edward Detyna died some years ago his EFF
source of fonts died with him.

The late Jim Nagel informed me in 2018 that he'd met the author's son
socially and both Jim and I tried to persuade Edward Detyna's son and
heir, in view of the fonts' exquisite quality, variety, and being
invaluable to the RISC OS community, to allow them to continue to be
available, maybe selling them to a RISC OS retailer if not putting
them in the public domain.

Nothing ever came of that, sadly, so do find and treasure that CD of
fonts, as I treasure mine. The one I bought came with Windows versions
on the same CD so that the fonts are compatible using Windows OvPro in
conjunction with Virtual RISC OS.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding riscos@mdharding.org.uk

Re: Font required

<75ffe24b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1373&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1373

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: jcc...@arcady.plus.com (Jonathan Conner)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 12:56:10 +0100
 by: Jonathan Conner - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:56 UTC

In message <594bdaf46dalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>
Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> wrote:

> In article <0cbf6d4b59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>,
> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:
>> In message <0f10094b59.graham@graham.durain.uk>
>> Graham Pickles <graham@durain.uk> wrote:

>>> I am looking for a Riscos font that is simultaneously both MONOSPACED
>>> and SANS-SERIF. I'm sure there must be one but I have been unable to
>>> find / source it. Any suggestions, preferably with an address where I
>>> can download it ? No doubt a very mundane query but it's defeaed me so
>>> far ...

>> A search led me to:

>> https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-eff

>> AFAICS you can download the disc-image of the EFF PD Fonts CD-ROM from
>> there.

>> Have fun!

> It looks like that is just the CD of Public Domain Fonts that EFF
> converted to RiscOS using their own software and were giving away at one
> of the shows in, I think, 1997. Does anyone know if the high quality
> original fonts that EFF made for RiscOS (also windows, MAC and I think
> LINUX) are still available? I think I've got a CD of some of them them
> somewhere that I bought at a later show.

Correct. The Professional Typography 2 CD isn't in the Public Domain and
EFF have disappeared. However, some of the fonts on the PD CD are quite
useful and it is available.

--
Jonathan Conner (ZFC G) on an iMX6 with RISC OS 5

The people who really run organizations are usually found several levels
down, where it is still possible to get things done. -- (Terry Pratchett,
Small Gods)