From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Wasn't just saying he wasn't worried about Android updates...
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:45:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:45 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:22:23 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:

> The Apple iKooks like Alan Baker can't comprehend such nuance even as it's
> how all _other_ operating systems work such as Windows, Linux, and Android.

To be clear for the iKooks (who don't own any adult comprehensive skills),
Android updates at least eight different ways, each on a different schedule.

Intelligent people understand the facts first, and then assess those facts.

FACT:
1. User apps (such as your personal APK archive) are often updated forever
2. Key apps (such as the default web browser) are often updated forever
4. Firmware (such as the Qualcomm modem firmware) are updated by Qualcomm
5. Security updates (these are likely team efforts of google, OEM & carrier)
6. Android updates (likely also a team effort of google, OEM & carrier)
7. 25 core modules (which is _most_ of Android!) are updated asynchronously
8. Those core modules are always donated to the AOSP for them to maintain.
(any others?)

ASSESSMENT:
My assessment is the key reason the Android version matters less and less
over time is simply because almost all of Android is already being updated
wholly outside the Android OS version itself.

Do you agree or disagree with that assessment of the facts (and why)?
--
Yes, I know, this is too complex for iKooks, but it's actually essentially
how _all_ modern operating systems update today (e.g., Windows & Linux).

Re: Wasn't just saying he wasn't worried about Android updates...

<ssscqe$uoh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13673&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13673

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:01:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:01 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:45:55 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:

> 1. User apps (such as your personal APK archive) are often updated forever
> 2. Key apps (such as the default web browser) are often updated forever
> 4. Firmware (such as the Qualcomm modem firmware) are updated by Qualcomm
> 5. Security updates (these are likely team efforts of google, OEM & carrier)
> 6. Android updates (likely also a team effort of google, OEM & carrier)
> 7. 25 core modules (which is _most_ of Android!) are updated asynchronously
> 8. Those core modules are always donated to the AOSP for them to maintain.
> (any others?)

Before the iKooks say I got a fact wrong, there's a typo in the numbering
1. User apps (such as your personal APK archive) are often updated forever
2. Key apps (such as the default web browser) are often updated forever
(Many of those key default apps are open source such as Chromium.)
3. Firmware (such as the Qualcomm modem firmware) are updated by Qualcomm
4. Security updates (these are likely team efforts of google, OEM & carrier)
5. Android versions (these are what changes Android 11, say, to Android 12)
6. _Core modules_ (*updated by Google over GP* or *OTA by Android partners*)
7. All Android core modules are donated to the ASOP to maintain forever

Given the fact that the modules in item #6 are a _huge_ part of Android...

Notice the fact that the Android version number in item #5 is only a small
portion overall of what is inside any given Android release on your phone.

Also note that the core modules in item #6 are usually downloaded completely
invisibly to the user in normal operation of the Google Play Services. Those
two dozen core modules are only actually applied during a boot-up procedure.

That means most users won't even realize their underlying Android system was
almost completely updated, since it happens without the user doing anything.

Also note that the APEX (Android Pony Express) format has been added in
Android 10+ so that the two dozen Android core modules in item #6 can be
applied _earlier_ in the boot sequence.

Also note that item #6 does _not_ have to come _only_ from Google!
The two dozen core modules (in APEX or APK containers) can come from:
a. Google (via Google Play Services Update mechanisms), or from
b. Android partners (via OTA mechanisms)

In summary, what the iKooks don't have the capacity for details to
comprehend, is that Android does not employ a primitive monolithic update
mechanism, and hence, since _most_ of Android is updated asynchronously (and
essentially forever), the actual Android version number is only a small part
of the mix.

Obviously, this is how _all_ modern operating systems update, except for the
primitive iOS monolithic update mechanism, where the version _does_ matter.
--
The word "forever" is used to indicate there is no set update expiry date.

Re: Wasn't just saying he wasn't worried about Android updates...

<j5f6e1FbfsiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13676&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13676

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:20:00 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard Lisse - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 09:20 UTC

What is wrong with you?

el

On 26/01/2022 23:01, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:45:55 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:
[...]
> Before the iKooks say I got a fact wrong, there's a typo in the
> numbering
[...]

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'