From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: iOS 15.3 is out
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:31:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:31 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 20:31:51 +0000, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> See subject line.

It's about time.

Billions of Apple owners, including me, had insecure devices expressly
because of the atrociously primitive rigidly monolithic update mechanism.

Notice that Apple didn't find the Safari holes, and worse, Apple took so
long to fix them (due mostly to the primitive iOS monolithic update
mechanism), that the frustrated researchers _published_ them, to prompt
Apple do finally fix the holes that were long ago reported to Apple.

If iOS wasn't a primitive monolithic clusterfuck, that wouldn't happen.

*Here's why Apple should provide standalone updates for native iOS apps*
<https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/21/heres-why-apple-should-provide-standalone-updates-for-native-ios-apps/>
"Security is the biggest reason why Apple should rethink the iOS
update process. On January 18 it was reported that Apple engineers were
able to fix the exploit, but they had to wait for the next iOS update
in order to make the patch available to everyone. As I write this article
on January 21, *there's a build of iOS 15.3 available for developers*
*that includes a fix for the Safari bug*. However, it will still be a
few days before this update is released to the public.

If there were a way to update the native iOS apps separately, iPhone
and iPad users could already download the latest version of Safari
that is not vulnerable to the bug."