From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Will someone please tell the iKooks how decimal places work in percentages?
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 05:29:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 05:29 UTC

This has to go on record not so much for proving how ignorant iKooks are but
for proving how supremely _confident_ these iKooks are, in their ignorance.

It's classic first quartile Dunning-Kruger - they are supremely confident,
in the case of Alan Baker, that the headers can't be spoofed, and yet they
can (he repeatedly claimed the newsreader header was impossible to spoof!).

It took dozens of posts & he _still_ doesn't understand that simple concept.
Who is _that_ stupid?

It's similar to the case where Snit claimed repeatedly (and JollY Roger,
Frank Slootweg, and nospam, and Lewis all agreed) that iOS finally had
graphical wifi signal strength debugging for all nearby access points, when
_none_ of them knew the difference between a decibel and a megabitpersecond
for Christ sake.

It took thirty posts and he _still_ doesn't understand that simple concept.
Who is _that_ stupid?

In the case of Steve (sms) and Chris just now, they're supremely confident
that this is _not_ what it is, and they claim, repeatedly, that I'm wrong
when quoting these CDC figures of crude mortality rates for kids.
<https://i.imgur.com/11zdaKC.png>

It has taken more than a dozen posts (see references in the sig) and they
_still_ can't comprehend the simple decimal math even after I told them what
it was from the start (so all they have to do is _move_ a decimal place for
a percent!)
1. I gave them the percent
2. They denied outright the facts
3. (only a fool denies facts - that's why they're fools).
4. I gave them the recent (dumbed down even) slide set from the CDC
<https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-11-2-3/03-Covid-Jefferson-508.pdf>
5. They couldn't find what was right in front of their eyes!
6. I gave them the exact page (page 20 of that slide set!)
7. They _still_ can't see what's right in front of their eyes
8. Hell, the CDC highlighted it in red on page 20 of that slide set
<https://i.imgur.com/11zdaKC.png>

They brazenly deny that the slide set says what the slide set says!
*Crude rate per 100,000 === 0.2*

Holy Shit.
Who on earth is that confident when they're that incredibly stupid?
No wonder they don't understand a damn thing about Covid.

Nobody is _that_ dumb.
This is fifth grade math, if that.

Decimal places.
Percents.

Their IQ can't be over 50.

But what's shocking isn't that they don't know basic decimal math.
No.
They're stupid.
So I _expect_ them to not know basic math.

But what's shocking is I told them time and again, and I gave them the exact
page to the exact slide - which has the CDC highlight in red the exact
statistic... and they _still_ say the facts are wrong.

WTF?
Who is that _confident_ that I'm wrong, and yet, they're _that_ ignorant?

How can _anyone_ communicate with people _that_ incredibly ignorant?
I can't.

Can you shake them of their confidence of all math they don't like is wrong?

I can't communicate with people _that_ stupid.
Can you?
--

It took this many posts and they _still_ can't comprehend 0.002%.
They couldn't last a week in a Silicon Valley startup or even in college.
The instant they showed up _that_ dumb they'd be fired (or flunk the class).
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/Ol32Pt9OEQAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/JbiIaVBGEQAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/ljPzk4RaEQAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/Jm48Te1gEQAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/JbiIaVBGEQAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/xUbGUmE_EgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/9Gqqtk5LEgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/mTBsj0hMEgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/HhQSfvZmEgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/v3C5Ka9-EgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/eUj6gI-AEgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/fRNVMUqqEgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/1W2Bk6uqEgAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h0YyvO3wxJ4/m/KXLmeb-qEgAJ

Re: Will someone please tell the iKooks how decimal places work in percentages?

<stmpo9$18g1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13694&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13694

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 21:21:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 21:21 UTC

UPDATE:

While idiots like Steve thought the chances were thousands of times WORSE!
*The chance of kids _not_ dying from Covid isn't 99.998% but 99.9998%*

It's even _better_ than what I had said it was (by an order of magnitude!).

In another thread today, Chris looked at the numbers for the sixth time
(which Steve still hasn't comprehended even after six tries!), where Chris
found an inadvertent error in _my_ own math (interestingly, which makes my
logical fact-based argument even _stronger_ by an order of magnitude).

You can tell it was an inadvertent mistake on my part because the mistake
_weakened_ my argument by an order of magnitude (which I didn't need given
the chance of kids dying is almost zero anyway), but I do thank Chris for
kindly correcting things so that the math is right on both sides.

REFERENCE:
<https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-11-2-3/03-Covid-Jefferson-508.pdf>>
Page 20: <https://imgur.com/a/luBkBZp>
<https://i.imgur.com/11zdaKC.png>

I'll move the decimal point over, one by one, for clarity:
Crude Mortality Rate for kids, aged 5-11, USA, Oct-to-Oct 2020-to-2021
a. 0.2 per 100,000
b. is 0.02 per 10,000
c. is 0.002 per 1000
d. is 0.0002 per 100.

Given the Covid crude mortality rate overall is around 0.2%, the crude
mortality rate for children isn't two orders of magnitude less, as I had
previously claimed, but it's actually _three_ orders of magnitude less!

That inadvertent math error now fixed makes my argument even stronger!

And yet...

People like Steve want to _force_ those kids to get the shot when their
chance of _not_ dying from Covid isn't 99.998% but 99.9998% for God's sake!
--
*Choosing the right COVID-19 indicator*
crude mortality, case fatality, and infection fatality rates

"Results show that while the usage of the crude mortality rate proves
to be more efficient in terms of supporting policy preferences
and behaviours to contain the virus, all indicators suffer from
a significant misunderstanding on behalf of the population."

Re: Will someone please tell the iKooks how decimal places work in percentages?

<stnn5q$123d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13695&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13695

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 05:43:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 05:43 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 13:58:48 -0800, sms wrote:

>> Wrong. You didn't do the math (sic).
>
> He did do the math, he just didn't like the science or the math so he
> made up his own numbers.

This is to Chris.
1. Did you read, Chris, what Steve just wrote?
2. How would _you_ respond to Steve, if you were to respond as an adult?

I don't have the capacity to drop down to Steve's level where Steve can't
comprehend the fact that the crude mortality rate for kids is 0.0002%.

It just is a fact.
But facts do not fit into any portion of Steve's (imaginary) belief system.

I know _you_ comprehend the crude mortality rate.

You know, Chris, that the Crude Mortality Rate for kids is 0.0002% right?
That is a 99.9998% chance of _not_ dying (before you're even infected).

While we can use other rates once the kid is _already_ infected, that is the
rate _before_ the kid gets infected, and it is the _typical_ rate quoted for
pandemics (because it's the risk to the population before they get
infected).

How would you suggest I drop myself down to Steve's ignorant level to
respond to his baseless claims (which he made because _he_ didn't comprehend
the math)?

Re: Will someone please tell the iKooks how decimal places work in percentages?

<stp7rq$1sm8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13696&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13696

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 19:34:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 19:34 UTC

On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 08:18:11 -0800, sms wrote:

> Whatever. Being off by a factor of 10 is probably one of the most
> innocuous misstatements of fact from our favorite troll. The data on
> Covid is clear, he chooses to ignore it.

Notice how Steve isn't man enough to admit what everyone else knows.

1. Steve _still_ disagrees vehemently with the facts as stated by the CDC
2. Worse, Steve claimed (many times) that facts in his face didn't exist!
3. And now, Steve claims that its appreciable the delta between
*The CDC fact is the chance of a kid not dying from Covid is 99.9998%*
*The CDC fact is the chance of a kid not dying from Covid is 99.998%*

Notice these facts:
a. Steve claims the statistic is wrong (he says it doesn't even exist!)
b. My typo was off (by mistake in practice, not theory) by 0.0018
c. Steve was off by 100% (since he completely denies the fact)

If Steve were intelligent, he'd admit the CDC statistic exists.
If Steve were intelligent, he'd admit the CDC statistic is correct.
If Steve were intelligent, he'd admit the CDC statistic is HUGE!

The question any _intelligent_ person should ask is why does Steve want to
_force_ inject substances into people's bodies when those people have a risk
of dying that is nowhere near even 1/2 of one percent?

Why?

What is Steve so afraid of that _he_ wants to force _everyone_ to undergo a
medical procedure when he himself denies that any fact from the CDC is
correct, let alone that it exists?

Let me repeat this:
a. Steve wants to _force_ inject everyone
b. And yet, he _denies_ that facts from the CDC exist
c. And, he _denies_ that they say exactly what they say

Who, on earth, is _that_ stupid?
HINT: Steve.

That.
That.
That.

That is my point.
*The more ignorant people are, the more they want to force that on us*
--
While I choose myself (using facts & assessments) to get the shot & booster
Whatever happened to Steve's die-hard Democrat slogan of My Body My Choice?

Re: Will someone please tell the iKooks how decimal places work in percentages?

<stp82o$1vvu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13697&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13697

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 19:38:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 19:38 UTC

On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 15:45:39 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:

> You're not a fan of Donald Rumsfeld then? [1] I'm not sure whether
> your claim is correct or not!

*The CDC fact is the chance of a kid not dying from Covid is 99.9998%*

You are ignorant if you think I'm politically aware, having been trained in
the sciences, engineering, and, of all things, marketing & history (because
I went to a school which required such sophistication in order to graduate).

The one thing I _never_ took was anything in politics.

The _closest_ to politics, is my half dozen classes in marketing, which I
had trouble believing in those days, given I was an incurable optimist.

For example, I wouldn't charge more for flashlights if there was a storm
coming up, but other people will - so I had trouble understanding supply and
demand curves because my human nature isn't greed.

I also had trouble with understanding Marketing tricks, like taking the same
product and breaking it into good/better/best with superficial changes, as I
came from a math and science background which isn't easily fooled by tricks.

And yet, most people _are_ easily fooled by those tricks (some even lies).
I had a _lot_ of trouble understanding that.

Now, at my advanced age, I understand that most people are despicable.
For example, Apple removes functionality, year after year, just so that you
have to buy it back - but - they MARKETING that loss of functionality as
being "courageously" "For the environment" (when it's really just greed).

> Did you know whether or not your misplaced shifting by factors of 10
> was erroneous?

*The CDC fact is the chance of a kid not dying from Covid is 99.9998%*

This is the kind of accusation that comes from the likes of Alan Baker, who
is an utter moron who doesn't realize the mistake I made was _different_
from the mistake that both Chris and Steve made, and even more to the point
the mistake I made had _weakened_ my argument, where the correction
_strengthened_ my argument.

You are clearly too stupid to comprehend what I just said, so I'll outline:
a. Steve & Chris made a _major_ error in not comprehending the fact
b. Not only that, but they dismissed the claim as not existing at all

Those are HUGE strategic errors on the part of both Steve and Chris
a. Chris dismissed that the fact existed (but now agrees that it exists)
b. Steve _still_ dismisses that the fact exists!

Notice that each was _incomprehensibly stupid_ in dismissing that the fact
existed, just because the fact didn't factor into any of their computations!

Notice, while I gladly admit my error, the difference is astounding:
a. I _knew_ the fact existed
b. I could easily find it in the CDC document

Let me ask all _adults_ here:
a. Does Steve believe the CDC facts or not?
b. Does Chris?

> But if you wish to continue ranting...

*The CDC fact is the chance of a kid not dying from Covid is 99.9998%*

It's interesting that you are so ignorant that you consider "facts" a rant.
The fact ignorant people like you exist is fine, by the way, as you exist.
a. You're ignorant
b. You exist

But what is my point is the more ignorant people are (like Steve is), the
more they are driven by fear to _force_ inject substances into my body.

They don't force that injection into me based on facts.
They don't force that injection into me based on science.
They don't force that injection into me based on logic.

They want to _force_ inject people, based purely on _their_ abject fear.

That.
That.
That.

That is my point.
*The CDC fact is the chance of a kid not dying from Covid is 99.9998%*