From: ant...@coinflip.net (Anton Chigurh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 19:44:13 -0500
 by: Anton Chigurh - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:44 UTC

I'm getting ready to transfer my old Mac's content to a new Mac.

The old Mac has one Relocated Items sub-folder and nine
sequentially-numbered Previously Relocated Items sub-folders in the
Users/Shared folder.

Should I delete the nine sub-folders before transferring content to the
new Mac?

Re: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders

<stsfpr$1q5j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13699&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13699

From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:08:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:08 UTC

On 2022-02-08, Anton Chigurh <anton@coinflip.net> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to transfer my old Mac's content to a new Mac.
>
> The old Mac has one Relocated Items sub-folder and nine
> sequentially-numbered Previously Relocated Items sub-folders in the
> Users/Shared folder.
>
> Should I delete the nine sub-folders before transferring content to the
> new Mac?

All the copies of the folder probably contain ideltical items, but just
to be safe, don't take my word for it.

Also, and again don't take my word for it, I never found any keepers in
Relocated Items.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

Re: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders

<slrnt05c66.2lht.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13702&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13702

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:04:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:04 UTC

In message <stsecv$lp2$1@dont-email.me> Anton Chigurh <anton@coinflip.net> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to transfer my old Mac's content to a new Mac.

> The old Mac has one Relocated Items sub-folder and nine
> sequentially-numbered Previously Relocated Items sub-folders in the
> Users/Shared folder.

> Should I delete the nine sub-folders before transferring content to the
> new Mac?

Do you need those files?

--
A man, in a word, who should never have been taught to write and whom
if unhappily gifted with that ability, should have been

Re: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders

<stunj4$sni$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13704&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13704

From: ant...@coinflip.net (Anton Chigurh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 16:33:20 -0500
 by: Anton Chigurh - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:33 UTC

On 2/8/22 1:04 PM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <stsecv$lp2$1@dont-email.me> Anton Chigurh <anton@coinflip.net> wrote:
>> I'm getting ready to transfer my old Mac's content to a new Mac.
>
>> The old Mac has one Relocated Items sub-folder and nine
>> sequentially-numbered Previously Relocated Items sub-folders in the
>> Users/Shared folder.
>
>> Should I delete the nine sub-folders before transferring content to the
>> new Mac?
>
> Do you need those files?

I don't know-- that's why I posted.

The sub-folders contain a hierarchy under them of
Configuration\Private\Etc\...

Most of the Etc sub-folders contain a file called "group-system-default"
while two of them contain a file called "master-password-system-default".

The former are lengthy log files that begin with:

# Note that this file is consulted directly only when the system is running
# in single-user mode. At other times this information is provided by
# Open Directory.

The latter yields an error message saying I don't have permission to
open them.

Re: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders

<slrnt05sgs.24hh.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13705&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13705

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:43:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:43 UTC

In message <stunj4$sni$1@dont-email.me> Anton Chigurh <anton@coinflip.net> wrote:
> On 2/8/22 1:04 PM, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <stsecv$lp2$1@dont-email.me> Anton Chigurh <anton@coinflip.net> wrote:
>>> I'm getting ready to transfer my old Mac's content to a new Mac.
>>
>>> The old Mac has one Relocated Items sub-folder and nine
>>> sequentially-numbered Previously Relocated Items sub-folders in the
>>> Users/Shared folder.
>>
>>> Should I delete the nine sub-folders before transferring content to the
>>> new Mac?
>>
>> Do you need those files?
>>

> I don't know-- that's why I posted.

If the files are just sitting in folder of relocated items then you
don't need them.

The simplest thing to do, and by far the best, is to simply use
Migration assistant to migrate your user to a new machine.

Relocated items are files that the OS has moved aside because of
changes in the files (or perceived changes, sometimes). The files in
those folders are not being used and are kept in case you intentionally
made changes and need to apply them to the new files.

<https://support.apple.com/en-md/guide/mac-help/mchl8ae423a3/mac>

--
Eyes the shady night has shut/Cannot see the record cut And silence
sounds no worse than cheers/After earth has stopped the ears.

Re: Delete Previously Relocated Items Folders

<stuted$40p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13706&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13706

From: ant...@coinflip.net (Anton Chigurh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:13:15 -0500
 by: Anton Chigurh - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:13 UTC

On 2/8/22 5:43 PM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <stunj4$sni$1@dont-email.me> Anton Chigurh <anton@coinflip.net> wrote:

>>> Do you need those files?
>>>

>> I don't know-- that's why I posted.
>
> If the files are just sitting in folder of relocated items then you
> don't need them.
>
> The simplest thing to do, and by far the best, is to simply use
> Migration assistant to migrate your user to a new machine.
>
> Relocated items are files that the OS has moved aside because of
> changes in the files (or perceived changes, sometimes). The files in
> those folders are not being used and are kept in case you intentionally
> made changes and need to apply them to the new files.
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-md/guide/mac-help/mchl8ae423a3/mac>

Thanks!