From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Bizarre Discovery: Flashlight batteries dead ! Guess why !
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:41:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:41 UTC

On 6/12/2023 12:32 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> [...]
>
> Another thing comes to mind is a production defect, but I don't think so because the flashlight worked and operated perfectly/marvelously when I first bought it and used it the first few years.
>
> I find it very alarming that an emergency device failed like this. :( :( :(
>
> I hope you find it alarming too.
>
> I hope that flashlight manufacturers take note and make improvements.
>
> Maybe deliver it in future with something soft so it can be placed on it.
>
> Then again maybe the soft thing becomes dirty too.
>
> I think what I have learned from this is:
>
> Do not keep a flashlight near bacteria !
>
> HOWEVER !!!
>
> The motherboard was kept in the box, in a closest, far far away from me...
>
> Perhaps the bacteria already crawled inside of it.
>
> So my caution conclusion is:
>
> Bacteria are everywhere, especially in my dusty appartment and will crawl/reach anywhere.
>
> However in this case the duster/towel may have speed up the process.
>
> Therefore I do believe this can be a very serious issue for all kinds of emergency electronics long term and thus something better should be designed, constructed AND !!!! TESTED with REAL BACTERIA to see if it can survive bacteria or not !
>
> Too many assumptions where made by this flashlight producer that such a thing could not occur...
>
> Especially for electronics newsgroup:
>
> Please explain how this substance could have "short circuited" or "drained" the batteries" ?! Constructed mistake, the side of the flashlight seems to be of metal ?! Did this cause a short circuit ?! I find this weird...
>
> Should it have had a plastic finish on the interior instead to prevent this from happening or would it have still short circuited ?!?!
>
> Also the top of it near the spring seems to contain a lot of metal for contact ?! It seems this flashlight has too much metal contact surfaces area which could cause short circuits like this ?! Plus I wonder if this leaking electricity could have flowed through my hand ?!
>
> Maybe it could have even shocked me or injured me at the time that the batteries where somewhat charged ?!
>
> This might actually still happened if I don't clean it properly ?!
>
> What are the dangerous/risks of electrocution of 6 of these typical batteries ?!
>
> Battery info:
> Varta AA 1.5 volts alkaline best befoe 12-2018 made in germany.
> LONGLIFE POWER
> PD 1218
>
> I purchased this flashlight probably around 2018 so it seems at time of purchase these batteries were already old... hmmm suspicion, bought at the same shop, kinda sucks to discover this now...
>
> I did not know batteries are date dependent at least for long gevity ?! It says long life power ?! bit misleading I guess if these batteries deteriorate by themselfes ?! Or was it bacteria ?! Hmm weird.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bizarre Discovery: Flashlight batteries dead ! Guess why !

<u687lf$38gdl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1370&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1370

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:53:34 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:53 UTC

On 6/12/2023 5:51 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Me back in bed again...
>
> Why flashlight producer not do this ?
>
> Last time I used flashlight was during a myst, light carnival , I flashlighted from my back window, I made it blink.
>
> I wonder if this myst had something to do with it ?
>
> What do you mean with parasitic ? biological ?
>
> Greetings Earthling,
> from Skybuck
>
> P.S.: I just realized , windows 7 virtual keyboard is a little bit like chatgpt, it tries to predict words too
>
> p.s.2: I noticed mosquito and tiny fly trying to eat my arm as i type this ,kinda funny
>
> p.s.3: It is very warm over here in netherlands , how is it over there ?
>
> p.s.4: kinda nine how it adds spaces automatically
>
> take care :)

The forest fire smoke here, made the temperature drop.
But give it a couple more weeks, it'll be back to normal.

Before the smoke came in, we had a couple days at 33C.
But it wasn't bad, because it cooled off in the evening.

When it gets bad, is when it stays warm at night too.

Some areas can handle high temperatures, because the air
remains dry. A high humidity makes the heat a lot harder
to take. It's like a sauna at the end of August.

Paul

Re: Bizarre Discovery: Flashlight batteries dead ! Guess why !

<u68nt1$3fqj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1371&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1371

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:30:32 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 03:30 UTC

On 6/12/2023 3:53 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 5:51 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Me back in bed again...
>>
>> Why flashlight producer not do this ?
>>
>> Last time I used flashlight was during a myst, light carnival , I
>> flashlighted from my back  window, I made it blink.
>>
>> I wonder if this myst had something to do  with it ?
>>
>> What do you mean with parasitic ? biological ?
>>
>> Greetings Earthling,
>>   from Skybuck
>>
>> P.S.: I just realized , windows 7 virtual keyboard  is a little bit
>> like chatgpt, it tries to predict words too
>>
>> p.s.2: I noticed mosquito and tiny fly trying to eat my arm as i type
>> this ,kinda funny
>>
>> p.s.3: It is  very warm over here in netherlands , how is it over there ?
>>
>> p.s.4: kinda nine how it adds spaces automatically
>>
>>   take care :)
>>

> The forest fire smoke here, made the temperature drop.
> But give it a couple more weeks, it'll be back to normal.
>
> Before the smoke came in, we had a couple days at 33C.
> But it wasn't bad, because it cooled off in the evening.
>
> When it gets bad, is when it stays warm at night too.
>
> Some areas can handle high temperatures, because the air
> remains dry. A high humidity makes the heat a lot harder
> to take. It's like a sauna at the end of August.
>
>    Paul

And if it is humid, it does not cool off a lot at night, because water
vapor that is a potent greenhouse gas and keeps the heat from escaping
to space overnight.