From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gopher
Subject: text does not scroll in original gopher, but in lynx
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 14:41:20 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:41 UTC

Hello,

when I go to gopher://gopher.black --> Phlog --> 2022-06-26 - Abortion
I can scroll the text in lynx, but not in the application "gopher" on
Ubuntu. In can scroll other text in gopher holes with "gopher".

Do other people also experience that?

--
kind regards
Marco

Re: text does not scroll in original gopher, but in lynx

<tje0ej$1au0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=139&group=comp.infosystems.gopher#139

From: mate...@xyz.invalid (Mateusz Viste)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gopher
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 15:18:11 +0200
 by: Mateusz Viste - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 13:18 UTC

2022-10-27 at 14:41 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
> when I go to gopher://gopher.black --> Phlog --> 2022-06-26 - Abortion
> I can scroll the text in lynx, but not in the application "gopher" on
> Ubuntu. In can scroll other text in gopher holes with "gopher".
>
> Do other people also experience that?

Works fine for me using the Linux gopherus client
https://gopherus.sourceforge.net

I looked at the mentioned article with telnet and it looks like a
perfectly good Gopher menu to me. You might want to report the issue to
the author of this client you use.

Mateusz

Re: text does not scroll in original gopher, but in lynx

<635af697@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=141&group=comp.infosystems.gopher#141

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gopher
Date: 28 Oct 2022 07:22:31 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 21:22 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> when I go to gopher://gopher.black --> Phlog --> 2022-06-26 - Abortion
> I can scroll the text in lynx, but not in the application "gopher" on
> Ubuntu. In can scroll other text in gopher holes with "gopher".
>
> Do other people also experience that?

Yes that's a known bug in the UMN Gopher client. Alternatively as
that client is somewhat official because it was written by the
creators of the protocol, one might argue that it's really that
gophermap which is buggy. But it's a common problem.

The issue is that gophermaps weren't intended to contain long text
content - it was always supposed to be in a plain text (item type
0) file. So, presumably becuase there weren't any gophermaps like
that around back in the day, the navigation system was never
designed to handle them. This affects both gophermaps with no
links, like that one, and those with more than one page-length of
text between links, because the only way to navigate is to move
between links.

One clunky solution is to press "shift-S", which allows saving the
current gophermap to file, whereafter you can view it with Less.

There was a patched version _somewhere_, but either the author
removed it or I forgot who they were (probably the latter).

--
__ __