The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for the reader.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / What Are Those Onion Addresses?

SubjectAuthor
* What Are Those Onion Addresses?Nomen Nescio
+- Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?anonymous
+* Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?SEC3
|`* Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?Nomen Nescio
| +- Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?Nomen Nescio
| `* Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?Nomen Nescio
|  `* Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?SEC3
|   `- Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?anonymous
`- Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?anonymous

1
What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<13f80d4fbfe9e4570dcaf0a5796d072e@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13825&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13825

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: What Are Those Onion Addresses?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:03:43 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:03 UTC

What does one do with those onion addresses I see posted from time to
time?

I'm using QSL with Tor.

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<20230313.005919.4ed138fd@mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13826&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13826

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:59:19 +0000
Subject: Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?
From: remai...@domain.invalid (anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anonymous - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:59 UTC

On 12 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> posted some

> What does one do with those onion addresses I see posted from time
> time?
>
> I'm using QSL with Tor.

If you boil them with turnips and peppers they are quite tasty.

I'm using a Magic Chef.

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<XzuPL.169639$wfQc.122203@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13827&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13827

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:59:34 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:59 UTC

On 3/12/23 18:03, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> What does one do with those onion addresses I see posted from time to
> time?
>
> I'm using QSL with Tor.

In QSL, if you haven't already, set up a proxy service:

Tools | Proxies | New

Fill in the boxes with the following settings:

Name = SMTP-Onion (this can be any name you wish)
Proxy Server= 127.0.0.1
Socks = 4a
Tor = checkmark the box
Protocol = SMTP, checkmark the box
Port = 9050

Click OK to save.

Now you are ready to use the following template to post to Usenet via
Tor. Remember to click the Proxy dropdown box (top right corner) and
choose your newly create proxy SMTP-Onion:

==========
Fcc: outbox
Host: 6wlmvflobk2ztvvfdese4y3zpkigsx2qbz5v6bfkamijnwifnxgpw6id.onion:2525
From: tester@outlook.com
Chain: micromix,*,*,dizum; copies=3;
To: mail2news@dizum.com,mail2news@neodome.net
Newsgroups: alt.just.testing
Subject: testing qwerty qwerty

Testing Quicksilver Lite. Tor to Usenet.
Test
Test
Ignore
==========

6wlmvflobk2ztvvfdese4y3zpkigsx2qbz5v6bfkamijnwifnxgpw6id.onion:2525 is
the Tor hidden service that is hosted at SEC3.NET. :) But there are a
handful of others you can use instead if you prefer.

--
SEC3

YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<20230312.214719.836c2959@erienetworks.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13830&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13830

DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 sept-huit.erienetworks.net 3C6603FE45
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:47:19 -0400
From: remai...@domain.invalid (anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anonymous - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 01:47 UTC

On 12 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> posted some

> What does one do with those onion addresses I see posted from time
> time?
>
> I'm using QSL with Tor.

For QSL or QS,

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<30b5db1b716bea7be533b0f0578c4a39@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13837&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13837

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:10:53 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 21:10 UTC

In article <XzuPL.169639$wfQc.122203@fx43.iad>
SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:

> On 3/12/23 18:03, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > What does one do with those onion addresses I see posted from time to
> > time?
> >
> > I'm using QSL with Tor.
> >

> In QSL, if you haven't already, set up a proxy service:
>
> Tools | Proxies | New
>
> Fill in the boxes with the following settings:
>
> Name = SMTP-Onion (this can be any name you wish)
> Proxy Server= 127.0.0.1
> Socks = 4a
> Tor = checkmark the box
> Protocol = SMTP, checkmark the box
> Port = 9050
>
> Click OK to save.
>
> Now you are ready to use the following template to post to Usenet via
> Tor. Remember to click the Proxy dropdown box (top right corner) and
> choose your newly create proxy SMTP-Onion:
>
> ==========
> Fcc: outbox
> Host: 6wlmvflobk2ztvvfdese4y3zpkigsx2qbz5v6bfkamijnwifnxgpw6id.onion:2525
> From: tester@outlook.com
> Chain: micromix,*,*,dizum; copies=3;
> To: mail2news@dizum.com,mail2news@neodome.net
> Newsgroups: alt.just.testing
> Subject: testing qwerty qwerty
>
> Testing Quicksilver Lite. Tor to Usenet.
> Test
> Test
> Ignore
> ==========
>
> 6wlmvflobk2ztvvfdese4y3zpkigsx2qbz5v6bfkamijnwifnxgpw6id.onion:2525 is
> the Tor hidden service that is hosted at SEC3.NET. :) But there are a
> handful of others you can use instead if you prefer.
>
> --
> SEC3
>
> YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

I sent out a couple of posts yesterday using the template you posted.
So far I have not seen them posted.

You had no mention of TLS in your post. I did have it turned on in
the SMTP settings.

Thanks for the detailed help. I'll wait another day to see if those
test posts appear.

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<60d259f8444e18591410f758967d6526@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13842&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13842

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:21:00 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 09:21 UTC

In article <30b5db1b716bea7be533b0f0578c4a39@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> In article <XzuPL.169639$wfQc.122203@fx43.iad>
> SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 3/12/23 18:03, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > > What does one do with those onion addresses I see posted from time to
> > > time?
> > >
> > > I'm using QSL with Tor.
> > >

> > In QSL, if you haven't already, set up a proxy service:
> >
> > Tools | Proxies | New
> >
> > Fill in the boxes with the following settings:
> >
> > Name = SMTP-Onion (this can be any name you wish)
> > Proxy Server= 127.0.0.1
> > Socks = 4a
> > Tor = checkmark the box
> > Protocol = SMTP, checkmark the box
> > Port = 9050
> >
> > Click OK to save.
> >
> > Now you are ready to use the following template to post to Usenet via
> > Tor. Remember to click the Proxy dropdown box (top right corner) and
> > choose your newly create proxy SMTP-Onion:
> >
> > ==========
> > Fcc: outbox
> > Host: 6wlmvflobk2ztvvfdese4y3zpkigsx2qbz5v6bfkamijnwifnxgpw6id.onion:2525
> > From: tester@outlook.com
> > Chain: micromix,*,*,dizum; copies=3;
> > To: mail2news@dizum.com,mail2news@neodome.net
> > Newsgroups: alt.just.testing
> > Subject: testing qwerty qwerty
> >
> > Testing Quicksilver Lite. Tor to Usenet.
> > Test
> > Test
> > Ignore
> > ==========
> >
> > 6wlmvflobk2ztvvfdese4y3zpkigsx2qbz5v6bfkamijnwifnxgpw6id.onion:2525 is
> > the Tor hidden service that is hosted at SEC3.NET. :) But there are a
> > handful of others you can use instead if you prefer.
> >
> > --
> > SEC3
> >
> > YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/
>
> I sent out a couple of posts yesterday using the template you posted.
> So far I have not seen them posted.
>
> You had no mention of TLS in your post. I did have it turned on in
> the SMTP settings.
>
> Thanks for the detailed help. I'll wait another day to see if those
> test posts appear.

What are you using for Tor connectivity? Tor browser, Tor Expert
Bundle, OmniMix, other?

Ensure your Tor port is correct or it won't work.

This reply is from QSL, using Tor Expert.

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<7cd300859783a4f25379a617b95426fe@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13844&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13844

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:11:50 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 17:11 UTC

On 3/13/2023 2:10 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I sent out a couple of posts yesterday using the template you posted.
> So far I have not seen them posted.
>
> You had no mention of TLS in your post. I did have it turned on in
> the SMTP settings.
>
> Thanks for the detailed help. I'll wait another day to see if those
> test posts appear.

SEC3 mentions that the Tor port is 9050.

However on my machine, and in QSL the Tor port is: 9150.

You might want to check that.

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<tX2QL.841940$t5W7.676865@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13848&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13848

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:22:17 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:22 UTC

On 3/14/23 13:11, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> On 3/13/2023 2:10 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>

>> I sent out a couple of posts yesterday using the template you posted.
>> So far I have not seen them posted.
>>
>> You had no mention of TLS in your post. I did have it turned on in
>> the SMTP settings.
>>
>> Thanks for the detailed help. I'll wait another day to see if those
>> test posts appear.
>

> SEC3 mentions that the Tor port is 9050.
>
> However on my machine, and in QSL the Tor port is: 9150.
>
> You might want to check that.

Agreed. This is good advice.

My set up may be a little unusual. I an on Linux Mint 21. I use QSL via
Wine (windows emulator).

My Tor version is 0.4.6.10.

My /etc/tor/torrc file has this line:
SocksPort 9050 # Default: Bind to localhost:9050 for local connections.

Port 9150 may well work on a different environment.

--
SEC3

YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: What Are Those Onion Addresses?

<0b74f30622e58710311c39bd119b9070@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13851&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13851

From: ano...@anon.org (anonymous)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 21:27:12 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anonymous - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:27 UTC

On 14 Mar 2023, SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> posted some

> On 3/14/23 13:11, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> On 3/13/2023 2:10 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>

>>> I sent out a couple of posts yesterday using the template you posted.
>>> So far I have not seen them posted.
>>>
>>> You had no mention of TLS in your post. I did have it turned on in
>>> the SMTP settings.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the detailed help. I'll wait another day to see if those
>>> test posts appear.
>>

>> SEC3 mentions that the Tor port is 9050.
>>
>> However on my machine, and in QSL the Tor port is: 9150.
>>
>> You might want to check that.
>
> Agreed. This is good advice.
>
> My set up may be a little unusual. I an on Linux Mint 21. I use QSL via
> Wine (windows emulator).
>
> My Tor version is 0.4.6.10.
>
> My /etc/tor/torrc file has this line:
> SocksPort 9050 # Default: Bind to localhost:9050 for local connections.
>
> Port 9150 may well work on a different environment.

Tor listener ports

Tor Browser

127.0.0.1:9150

Tor expert, Tor win32 and others

127.0.0.1:9050

OmniMix Tor

127.0.0.1:9054

Note that you can alter the listener port if desired.