From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Bizarre Discovery: Flashlight batteries dead ! Guess why !
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:19:08 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:19 UTC

On 13/6/2023 12:32 am, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> .
> Here is a further clue: on inspection of the inner workings of the flashlight I dicover a strange white subtance, like somebody spit inside of the flashlight halfwalf and it dripped past the batteries to the innerside of the flashlight

Alkaline batteries can kill themselves because the battery fluid is
alkaline, which is corrosive! Even when they are not inserted into the
battery compartment, it still has shelf life.

For long-term storage, avoid alkaline batteries. Better use non-fluid
dry battery.

Re: Bizarre Discovery: Flashlight batteries dead ! Guess why !

<u6b28s$3opev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1373&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1373

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:39:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 00:39 UTC

On 6/13/2023 8:19 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 13/6/2023 12:32 am, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>
>> .
>> Here is a further clue: on inspection of the inner workings of the flashlight I dicover a strange white subtance, like somebody spit inside of the flashlight halfwalf and it dripped past the batteries to the innerside of the flashlight
>
> Alkaline batteries can kill themselves because the battery fluid is alkaline, which is corrosive! Even when they are not inserted into the battery compartment, it still has shelf life.
>
> For long-term storage, avoid alkaline batteries. Better use non-fluid dry battery.

This varies with brand.

One brand here, I no longer buy, because they have failed
me so many times and ruined contacts and so on.

The competing brand does not do this. You can go
well past "best before date" and there are no signs
of corrosion.

Paul

Re: Bizarre Discovery: Flashlight batteries dead ! Guess why !

<u6k3vd$17ajb$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1383&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1383

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:04:11 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 11:04 UTC

On 14/6/2023 8:39 am, Paul wrote:

> This varies with brand.
>
> One brand here, I no longer buy, because they have failed
> me so many times and ruined contacts and so on.
>
> The competing brand does not do this. You can go
> well past "best before date" and there are no signs
> of corrosion.

I did not research different brands.

I suspect if someone dropped a bag of alkaline batteries by accident
while shopping in a supermarket, then placed that bag of batteries back
on hook, the metal case might have buckled, leading to invisible leakage
of battery fluid. You don't know whether you bought that same bag of
batteries by mere "luck". :)

If you dropped your remote with alkaline batteries inside, not sure
whether the metal casing of those batteries might buckle....