"If it's not loud, it doesn't work!" -- Blank Reg, from "Max Headroom"

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Re: Powerbase

SubjectAuthor
* PowerbaseChris Newman
+- Re: PowerbaseChris Newman
+* Re: PowerbaseT M Smith
|+* Re: PowerbaseChris Newman
||+- Re: PowerbaseBrian Howlett
||`* Re: PowerbaseChris Hughes
|| `* Re: PowerbaseStuart
||  `* Re: PowerbaseSteve Fryatt
||   +- Re: PowerbaseJean-Michel
||   +- Re: PowerbaseStuart
||   +* Re: PowerbaseChris Hughes
||   |`* Re: PowerbaseAdrian Crafer
||   | +- Re: PowerbaseChris Hughes
||   | `* Re: PowerbaseDoug Webb
||   |  `* Re: PowerbaseChris Hughes
||   |   `* Re: PowerbaseAdrian Crafer
||   |    `- Re: Powerbasecharles
||   `* Re: PowerbaseMetallic
||    `- Re: PowerbaseChris Newman
|+* Re: PowerbaseMatthew Phillips
||`- Re: PowerbaseChris Newman
|`* Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
| +- Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
| `* Re: PowerbaseMartin
|  +* Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
|  |`* Re: PowerbaseMartin
|  | `* Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
|  |  `* Re: PowerbaseChris Hughes
|  |   `* Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
|  |    +* Re: PowerbaseChris Hughes
|  |    |+- Re: PowerbaseKevin Wells
|  |    |`- Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
|  |    `- Re: PowerbaseNews
|  `* Re: PowerbaseChris Newman
|   `* Re: PowerbaseHarriet Bazley
|    `- Re: PowerbaseT M Smith
`- Re: PowerbaseBrian Jordan

Pages:12
Powerbase

<59c8c257b2cvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1347&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1347

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Powerbase
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:24:49 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:24 UTC

Hi,

Does anyone use !Powerbase (by Derek Haslam) on RISC OS 5.28?

It works perfectly until I try to make a Report, the resulting file is
truncated or garbled.

Once I've used it on R5, if I transfer the database to my Virtual Acorn
4.39 it still grabled.

Has anyone seen this?

--
Chris Newman

Re: Powerbase

<59c8c661cbcvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1348&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1348

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Re: Powerbase
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:08:57 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:08 UTC

In article <59c8c257b2cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> Does anyone use !Powerbase (by Derek Haslam) on RISC OS 5.28?

> It works perfectly until I try to make a Report, the resulting file is
> truncated or garbled.

> Once I've used it on R5, if I transfer the database to my Virtual Acorn
> 4.39 it still grabled.

> Has anyone seen this?

More info. I noticed I had an old version of Powerbase on the RiscPC.
9.85 DA. I thought I'd try the old one on the 5.28 on the Pi. When I
copied it over it magically became 10.32 DA. There is a Powerbase
directory in Choices but it's empty so how did it change itself? How
spooky!

--
Chris Newman

Re: Powerbase

<5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1349&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1349

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: tmsmit...@tmsmith36.plus.com (T M Smith)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:58:47 GMT
 by: T M Smith - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:58 UTC

I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works as
previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he cannot find
the cause of the problem.
I am using an Armx6 and Riscos 5.29.
My problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of separate fields
rather than a complete record.
Maybe the problem is caused by some other program on my computer?!!

Malcolm Smith

In message <59c8c257b2cvjazz@waitrose.com>

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.29 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Powerbase

<59c9132a2ecvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1350&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1350

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:07:37 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:07 UTC

In article <5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com>, T M Smith
<tmsmith36@tmsmith36.plus.com> wrote:
> I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works
> as previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he cannot
> find the cause of the problem. I am using an Armx6 and Riscos 5.29. My
> problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of separate fields
> rather than a complete record. Maybe the problem is caused by some
> other program on my computer?!!

Yes, I contacted him as well but no joy.

Is it something to do with32 bitting, or R5 or in my computer set-up?

Pity as it's a brilliant programme.

Exporting CSV still works OK.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Powerbase

<556826c959.BrianNews@bhowlett.plus.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1351&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1351

From: news-spa...@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:37:48 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:37 UTC

On 14 Mar, Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com>, T M Smith
> <tmsmith36@tmsmith36.plus.com> wrote:
>> I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works
>> as previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he cannot
>> find the cause of the problem. I am using an Armx6 and Riscos 5.29. My
>> problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of separate fields
>> rather than a complete record. Maybe the problem is caused by some
>> other program on my computer?!!

> Yes, I contacted him as well but no joy.

> Is it something to do with32 bitting, or R5 or in my computer set-up?

> Pity as it's a brilliant programme.

> Exporting CSV still works OK.

I'm using Powerbase 9.85DA from 08-07-2012 on 5.28 (Titanium) here, and
Reports work fine.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
This .sig deliberately left blank...

Re: Powerbase

<1fac2ac959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1352&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1352

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:24:23 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:24 UTC

In message <59c9132a2ecvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com>, T M Smith
> <tmsmith36@tmsmith36.plus.com> wrote:
>> I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works
>> as previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he cannot
>> find the cause of the problem. I am using an Armx6 and Riscos 5.29. My
>> problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of separate fields
>> rather than a complete record. Maybe the problem is caused by some
>> other program on my computer?!!

> Yes, I contacted him as well but no joy.

> Is it something to do with32 bitting, or R5 or in my computer set-up?

> Pity as it's a brilliant programme.

> Exporting CSV still works OK.

Might I suggest possibly moving to !Impact from SineNomine, its a superb
relational database, with lots of nice facilities. You can even import
your CSV file into to it and will if you want create a database for you.

I do believe there is a working Demo version to try before you buy.

Works fine on RISC OS 5, and still supported and developed. Sine Nomine
also have a support mailing list available.

I run the club and show using it, plus plenty of my personal stuff.

Got any question feel free to ask.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Powerbase

<59c9449d0bSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1353&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1353

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:07:44 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Stuart - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:07 UTC

In article <1fac2ac959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> Might I suggest possibly moving to !Impact from SineNomine, its a superb
> relational database, with lots of nice facilities. You can even import
> your CSV file into to it and will if you want create a database for you.

But maybe he doesn't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Malcolm Smith
reports using Powerbase for an address book database. I find !Masterfile
perfectly adequate for that and it runs here under !Aemulor. I
particularly like the simple cardfile approach.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Powerbase

<mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1354&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1354

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:44:52 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:44 UTC

On 14 Mar, Stuart wrote in message
<59c9449d0bSpambin@argonet.co.uk>:

> In article <1fac2ac959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Might I suggest possibly moving to !Impact from SineNomine, its a superb
> > relational database, with lots of nice facilities. You can even import
> > your CSV file into to it and will if you want create a database for you.
>
> But maybe he doesn't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

It's not entirely fair to describe Impact as a sledgehammer in this context,
I feel. Yes, it's relational -- but only if you go looking for it. Otherwise
it pretends to be a straightforward flat-file database, AIUI.

> Malcolm Smith reports using Powerbase for an address book database. I find
> !Masterfile perfectly adequate for that and it runs here under !Aemulor.

By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being actively
maintained...

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Powerbase

<d1b174c959.jmb@jmc.bruck.orange.fr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1355&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1355

From: jmc.br...@orange.fr (Jean-Michel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:52:54 +0100
 by: Jean-Michel - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 07:52 UTC

In message <mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Mar, Stuart wrote in message
> <59c9449d0bSpambin@argonet.co.uk>:

>> In article <1fac2ac959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I suggest possibly moving to !Impact from SineNomine, its a superb
>>> relational database, with lots of nice facilities. You can even import
>>> your CSV file into to it and will if you want create a database for you.
>>
>> But maybe he doesn't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

> It's not entirely fair to describe Impact as a sledgehammer in this context,
> I feel. Yes, it's relational -- but only if you go looking for it. Otherwise
> it pretends to be a straightforward flat-file database, AIUI.

>> Malcolm Smith reports using Powerbase for an address book database. I find
>> !Masterfile perfectly adequate for that and it runs here under !Aemulor.

> By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being actively
> maintained...

Three other RISC OS applications and maintained:
For an address book: Organizer.
For more general databases: Datapower or database by FireWorks.

--
Jean-Michel

Re: Powerbase

<59c97bfeecSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1356&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1356

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:12:39 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Stuart - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:12 UTC

In article <mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> > Might I suggest possibly moving to !Impact from SineNomine, its a
> > superb
> > > relational database, with lots of nice facilities. You can even
> > > import your CSV file into to it and will if you want create a
> > > database for you.
> >
> > But maybe he doesn't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

> It's not entirely fair to describe Impact as a sledgehammer in this
> context,

The implication was that !Impact has more facilities and functions than
!Powerbase. I seem to remember looking at both when I had my first RO5
machine because !Mastefile became "abandonware" but I felt they were too
complex and I liked the simple cardfile approach of !Masterfile. I just
wish I was clever enough to convert it to 32 bit and correct some of its'
"sillys", which I did in an earlier version.

I do use !Fireworkz pro for some database aplications

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Powerbase

<36377ec959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1357&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1357

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:36:54 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:36 UTC

In message <mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Mar, Stuart wrote in message
> <59c9449d0bSpambin@argonet.co.uk>:

>> In article <1fac2ac959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I suggest possibly moving to !Impact from SineNomine, its a superb
>>> relational database, with lots of nice facilities. You can even import
>>> your CSV file into to it and will if you want create a database for you.
>>
>> But maybe he doesn't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

> It's not entirely fair to describe Impact as a sledgehammer in this context,
> I feel. Yes, it's relational -- but only if you go looking for it. Otherwise
> it pretends to be a straightforward flat-file database, AIUI.

Yes it can be used a flat database. it also uses the same mail merge
facilities that Powerbase uses via the Impulse module to either Ovation
Pro or Impression. Impcat also comes with ImpEmail , !LabPrint and
!DrawPrint - although all three of those extras can be brought separately
if you wanted.

>> Malcolm Smith reports using Powerbase for an address book database. I find
>> !Masterfile perfectly adequate for that and it runs here under !Aemulor.

> By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being actively
> maintained...

Is Masterfile still available for download? I used it as my first database
back in the Archimedes days.

Another Database program is !DataPower Home for the more simple version,
still available not aware of any development on it for years.

Fireworkz Pro has a cust down version of DataPoer database as its database
component. Note the free Fireworkz does not have the database part.

I suppose !Organizer could be used if wanting to just save a basic address
book as well, and still supported and in development.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Powerbase

<1ffe83c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1358&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1358

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:40:00 GMT
 by: Adrian Crafer - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:40 UTC

In message <36377ec959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

>> On 14 Mar, Stuart wrote in message
>> <59c9449d0bSpambin@argonet.co.uk>:

>>> But maybe he doesn't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

>> It's not entirely fair to describe Impact as a sledgehammer in this context,
>> I feel. Yes, it's relational -- but only if you go looking for it. Otherwise
>> it pretends to be a straightforward flat-file database, AIUI.

> Yes it can be used a flat database. it also uses the same mail merge
> facilities that Powerbase uses via the Impulse module to either Ovation
> Pro or Impression. Impcat also comes with ImpEmail , !LabPrint and
> !DrawPrint - although all three of those extras can be brought separately
> if you wanted.

>>> Malcolm Smith reports using Powerbase for an address book database. I find
>>> !Masterfile perfectly adequate for that and it runs here under !Aemulor.

>> By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being actively
>> maintained...

> Is Masterfile still available for download? I used it as my first database
> back in the Archimedes days.

> Another Database program is !DataPower Home for the more simple version,
> still available not aware of any development on it for years.

The full version of !DataPower I have is version 3.16 March 2014, it has
card file modes. I am not sure if there is a later version as !Plingstore
appears not to be working at present. It is now an R-Comp product so
presumably it is being maintained and support is available.

--

acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: Powerbase

<183c88c959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1359&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1359

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:26:20 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:26 UTC

In message <1ffe83c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>
Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <36377ec959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
>> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

>>> It's not entirely fair to describe Impact as a sledgehammer in this
>>> context,
>>> I feel. Yes, it's relational -- but only if you go looking for it.
>>> Otherwise
>>> it pretends to be a straightforward flat-file database, AIUI.

>> Yes it can be used a flat database. it also uses the same mail merge
>> facilities that Powerbase uses via the Impulse module to either Ovation
>> Pro or Impression. Impcat also comes with ImpEmail , !LabPrint and
>> !DrawPrint - although all three of those extras can be brought separately
>> if you wanted.

>>> By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being
>>> actively
>>> maintained...

>> Is Masterfile still available for download? I used it as my first database
>> back in the Archimedes days.

>> Another Database program is !DataPower Home for the more simple version,
>> still available not aware of any development on it for years.

> The full version of !DataPower I have is version 3.16 March 2014, it has
> card file modes. I am not sure if there is a later version as !Plingstore
> appears not to be working at present. It is now an R-Comp product so
> presumably it is being maintained and support is available.

!DataPower 3 - the full version is still on version 3.16 March 2014
!DataPower Home is on version 1.70 (was called DataPower 2 I believe at
one time)

Info from !Store. So yes supported but does not look like any recent
development work.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Powerbase

<3ab988c959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1360&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1360

From: doug.j.w...@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:31:40 GMT
 by: Doug Webb - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:31 UTC

In message <1ffe83c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>
Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I am not sure if there is a later version as !Plingstore
> appears not to be working at present.

Yes get an "error on server" message when trying to fetch Catalogue
updates.

Tried clean installs as well.

Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS

Re: Powerbase

<ccf58bc959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1361&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1361

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:07:01 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:07 UTC

In message <3ab988c959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <1ffe83c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>
> Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

>> I am not sure if there is a later version as !Plingstore
>> appears not to be working at present.

> Yes get an "error on server" message when trying to fetch Catalogue
> updates.

> Tried clean installs as well.

> Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Just accessed it 15 mins ago not problem. If you get the message 'error on
server' just close !Store down and try later. It usually means the VPS
server they use is playing up again. I believe Alan Wrigley has to give
the server a good kicking to get it wake itself up.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Powerbase

<1dd18953-862b-4e45-9b60-9ef6dc5dd7fcn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1362&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1362

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 05:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: andy.mar...@gmail.com (Metallic)
 by: Metallic - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:31 UTC

On Monday, 14 March 2022 at 23:55:04 UTC, Steve Fryatt wrote:

> By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being actively
> maintained...

In a bit of a twist, after what may have been about a decade, Powerbase received an update earlier this year. Check out http://www.boulsworth.co.uk/pbase/ for details.

One other thing that occurred to me is that it may be an ARMv8 issue, so running it under Aemulor may resolve Chris's original issue?

Andy

Re: Powerbase

<0c9699c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1363&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1363

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:35:51 GMT
 by: Adrian Crafer - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:35 UTC

In message <ccf58bc959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <3ab988c959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
> Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> In message <1ffe83c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>
>> Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I am not sure if there is a later version as !Plingstore
>>> appears not to be working at present.

>> Yes get an "error on server" message when trying to fetch Catalogue
>> updates.

>> Tried clean installs as well.

>> Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

> Just accessed it 15 mins ago not problem. If you get the message 'error on
> server' just close !Store down and try later. It usually means the VPS
> server they use is playing up again. I believe Alan Wrigley has to give
> the server a good kicking to get it wake itself up.

I reported the issue to Andrew, apparently no-one else had complained. He
had the server kicked hence everything is now ok.

I also asked about DataPower updates and Andrew said that no-one had asked
for new features so no updates pending, and by the same token presumably
no-one has reported any bugs.

--

acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: Powerbase

<59c99b064fcharles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1364&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1364

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:51:35 +0000 (GMT)
References: <59c8c257b2cvjazz@waitrose.com> <5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com> <59c9132a2ecvjazz@waitrose.com> <1fac2ac959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <59c9449d0bSpambin@argonet.co.uk> <mpro.r8rdyn01obk8w05g5.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <36377ec959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <1ffe83c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk> <3ab988c959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com> <ccf58bc959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0c9699c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>
 by: charles - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:51 UTC

In article <0c9699c959.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>, Adrian Crafer
<acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ccf58bc959.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> Chris Hughes
> <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> > In message <3ab988c959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com> Doug Webb
> > <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> Yes get an "error on server" message when trying to fetch Catalogue
> >> updates.

> >> Tried clean installs as well.

> >> Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

> > Just accessed it 15 mins ago not problem. If you get the message 'error
> > on server' just close !Store down and try later. It usually means the
> > VPS server they use is playing up again. I believe Alan Wrigley has to
> > give the server a good kicking to get it wake itself up.

> I reported the issue to Andrew, apparently no-one else had complained. He
> had the server kicked hence everything is now ok.

> I also asked about DataPower updates and Andrew said that no-one had
> asked for new features so no updates pending, and by the same token
> presumably no-one has reported any bugs.

I've never come across any.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Powerbase

<59c9a90d00cvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1365&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1365

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:24:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:24 UTC

In article <1dd18953-862b-4e45-9b60-9ef6dc5dd7fcn@googlegroups.com>,
Metallic <andy.marks.1970@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 14 March 2022 at 23:55:04 UTC, Steve Fryatt wrote:

> > By the sound of it, Impact is the odd one out of the three by being
> > actively maintained...

> In a bit of a twist, after what may have been about a decade, Powerbase
> received an update earlier this year. Check out
> http://www.boulsworth.co.uk/pbase/ for details.

> One other thing that occurred to me is that it may be an ARMv8 issue,
> so running it under Aemulor may resolve Chris's original issue?

I thought about that as well. Just ran Aemulor and fired up the offending
database & seemingly no change. Problem still there.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Powerbase

<8460d4cc59.Matthew@sinenomine.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1383&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1383

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 21:06:37 GMT
From: spam20...@yahoo.co.uk (Matthew Phillips)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
 by: Matthew Phillips - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 21:06 UTC

In message <5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com>
on 14 Mar 2022 T M Smith wrote:

> I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works as
> previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he cannot find
> the cause of the problem.
> I am using an Armx6 and Riscos 5.29.
> My problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of separate fields
> rather than a complete record.
> Maybe the problem is caused by some other program on my computer?!!

As I'm not familiar with Powerbase, I probably cannot help, but when you
mentioned making a Report below, I wondered whether this is something
Powerbase does in conjunction with Impression or Ovation Pro by
mail-merging?

If it is a mail-merged report, then that will rely on the Impulse module,
which I maintain. I haven't issued a new version since 2012, though, so if
Powerbase has recently gone wrong this won't be the cause.

Matthew

--
Matthew Phillips
Durham

Re: Powerbase

<59cdc83f5dcvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1386&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1386

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:30:20 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:30 UTC

In article <8460d4cc59.Matthew@sinenomine.co.uk>, Matthew Phillips
<spam2011m@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <5fe001c959.Broadband@tmsmith36.plus.com> on 14 Mar 2022 T M
> Smith wrote:

> > I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works
> > as previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he
> > cannot find the cause of the problem. I am using an Armx6 and Riscos
> > 5.29. My problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of
> > separate fields rather than a complete record. Maybe the problem is
> > caused by some other program on my computer?!!

> As I'm not familiar with Powerbase, I probably cannot help, but when
> you mentioned making a Report below, I wondered whether this is
> something Powerbase does in conjunction with Impression or Ovation Pro
> by mail-merging?

No, 'tis completely self-contained within Powerbase.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Powerbase

<2594bece59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1387&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1387

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:20:56 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:20 UTC

On 14 Mar 2022 as I do recall,
T M Smith wrote:

> > Does anyone use !Powerbase (by Derek Haslam) on RISC OS 5.28?
>
> > It works perfectly until I try to make a Report, the resulting file is
> > truncated or garbled.
>
> > Once I've used it on R5, if I transfer the database to my Virtual Acorn
> > 4.39 it still grabled.

> I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer works as
> previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam but he cannot find
> the cause of the problem.
> I am using an Armx6 and Riscos 5.29.
> My problem is that a record seems to behave as a number of separate fields
> rather than a complete record.
> Maybe the problem is caused by some other program on my computer?!!

I haven't used Powerbase for a long time, but while there seem to be
some odd issues in using the latest version of the program on ARMX6
(e.g. using the 'next record' button only updates Field 1, with the data
displayed in the other fields remaining the same), making a Report was
one feature that on testing did seem to function as expected...

Given that the software is written in BBC BASIC, the only element that
ought to be affected by hardware issues is presumably the sliding heap
module used for memory management?

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

It's clever, but is it art? - Rudyard Kipling

Re: Powerbase

<0b13d9ce59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1388&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1388

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:10:20 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:10 UTC

On 25 Mar 2022 as I do recall,
Harriet Bazley wrote:

> I haven't used Powerbase for a long time, but while there seem to be
> some odd issues in using the latest version of the program on ARMX6
> (e.g. using the 'next record' button only updates Field 1, with the data
> displayed in the other fields remaining the same), making a Report was
> one feature that on testing did seem to function as expected...
>
> Given that the software is written in BBC BASIC, the only element that
> ought to be affected by hardware issues is presumably the sliding heap
> module used for memory management?

Apparently it only uses the SlidingHeap library on RISC OS 3.1, so that
shouldn't be the issue - there may of course be an error in the dynamic
area handling. Possibly a case of memory addresses too high (too much
memory available) rather than OS version?

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Sattinger's Law: It works better if you plug it in.

Re: Powerbase

<59cfcd5d42News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1389&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1389

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:38:38 +0100
 by: Martin - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 15:38 UTC

In article <2594bece59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2022 as I do recall, T M Smith wrote:

> > I use Powerbase for my my address book database. It no longer
> > works as previously. I have been in touch with Derek Haslam
> > but he cannot find the cause of the problem. I am using an Armx6
> > and Riscos 5.29. My problem is that a record seems to behave as a
> > number of separate fields rather than a complete record. Maybe
> > the problem is caused by some other program on my computer?!!

> I haven't used Powerbase for a long time, but while there seem to
> be some odd issues in using the latest version of the program on
> ARMX6 (e.g. using the 'next record' button only updates Field 1,
> with the data displayed in the other fields remaining the same),
> making a Report was one feature that on testing did seem to
> function as expected...

I have been in touch with Chris N (who made the top post), and Derek H
(developer) and I believe the initial problem is identified.

I am unclear from Malcolm S what his problem is.

Harriet: I have also seen the redraw problem with 'next record' - are
the other unchanged fields updated if another window is dragged across
them? What version of PB is that?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Re: Powerbase

<1ee0d3cf59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1390&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1390

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:49:45 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:49 UTC

On 27 Mar 2022 as I do recall,
Martin wrote:

> I have been in touch with Chris N (who made the top post), and Derek H
> (developer) and I believe the initial problem is identified.

Excellent! (That means I don't have to feel guilty about not
code-diving....)

[snip]

> Harriet: I have also seen the redraw problem with 'next record' - are
> the other unchanged fields updated if another window is dragged across
> them? What version of PB is that?

Oh, I hadn't tried that - yes, forcing a window redraw does update the
fields correctly!

Powerbase 10.32DA on ARMX6.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Be tolerant of mistakes. There are very few errors that are so important
that they cannot be ignored if you try hard enough.