From: mich...@THEWASTE.remove-7am-this (Michael)
Subject: Wow. Suprised adn so happy!
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:05:56 -0700
 by: Michael - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:05 UTC

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop a quick note to express how happy I am to have found this still running after all these years. I'm sure it's on a VM by now and that's why it's so snappy, but oh my goodness, how awesome is this retro.

My son, who is almost 30 now, is also in the tech field (like me) and we were chatting the other day over some coffee. I was going on about the good 'ol days in the 80's and early 90's where all the magic was happening in tech. When people were pioneers with wild ideas.

He was making general statements about how todays tech is full of features that never existed before and I was telling him that we had all that back then too - nothing has really changed, just improved. We had chat rooms, online shopping, online games, weather, news and more. He didn't believe it, so I showed him a screen shot of some old Prodigy adn CompuServe internet stuff and he was stunned.

I then took things a step further and downloaded the SyncTerm to see if there were still any BBS's still around and found you guys.

What a throw back. Thanks for staying around and being a pretty active community. I will be here on the daily checking for new messages and things.

Does anyone know if this server can send email externally?

- Michael
- Thanks,
- Michael

---
■ Synchronet ■ -=The Wastelands BBS=- -=Since 1990=-
--- Synchronet 3.19a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Wow. Suprised adn so happy!

<60F36EA3.40931.dove-syncdisc@bbs.leenooks.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13832&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#13832

From: deo...@ALTERANT.remove-ywi-this (deon)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:58:27 +1000
 by: deon - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 23:58 UTC

To: Michael
Re: Wow. Suprised adn so happy!
By: Michael to All on Sat Jul 17 2021 02:05 pm

Hey Michael,

Mi> He was making general statements about how todays tech is full of features that never existed before and I was telling him that we
Mi> had all that back then too - nothing has really changed, just improved. We had chat rooms, online shopping, online games, weather,
Mi> news and more. He didn't believe it, so I showed him a screen shot of some old Prodigy adn CompuServe internet stuff and he was
Mi> stunned.

Yeah we did have all that back in the day. I remember doing "online banking" with my bank via Viatel (Australia's viewdata/videotex implementation) - it was pretty cool at the time. That was circa 1988.

Mi> Does anyone know if this server can send email externally?

The software can, depends on if the sysop has set it up.

My install can - I even having mailing lists caming into it...

....δεσ∩

.... Every revolutionary ends up either by becoming an oppressor or a heretic.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
--- Synchronet 3.19a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Wow. Suprised adn so happy!

<60F56553.816.dove-syncdisc@macos.retro-os.live>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13846&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#13846

From: mari...@MYMAC.remove-dwz-this (Marisag)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 04:43:15 -0800
 by: Marisag - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 12:43 UTC

To: Michael
Re: Wow. Suprised adn so happy!
By: Michael to All on Sat Jul 17 2021 02:05 pm

> Does anyone know if this server can send email externally?

Yes it does, and incoming as well if the sysop has set it up...

Marisa
(Welcome!)

---
■ Synchronet ■ Sent from the Classic Mac BBS