Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / OSX 11.6 window frames

SubjectAuthor
* OSX 11.6 window framesSiri Cruise
+* Re: OSX 11.6 window framesYour Name
|`* Re: OSX 11.6 window framesSiri Cruise
| `- Re: OSX 11.6 window framesYour Name
`* Re: OSX 11.6 window framesLewis
 `* Re: OSX 11.6 window framesSiri Cruise
  `- Re: OSX 11.6 window framesLewis

1
OSX 11.6 window frames

<chine.bleu-3C4067.20262906032022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13850&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13850

From: chine.b...@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: OSX 11.6 window frames
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 20:26:37 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 04:26 UTC

I can't say how much I appreciate when it decides I no longer
need to adjust a window so it draws the window frame beyond the
screen edges so I can no longer change the size or even see the
traffic lights. The fix is to quit and then try to find the
preferences in ~/Library and delete those. This is such a winning
OS. I assume Apple is trying to destroy its laptop market.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: OSX 11.6 window frames

<t04579$jng$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13851&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13851

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: OSX 11.6 window frames
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 18:29:14 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 05:29 UTC

On 2022-03-07 04:26:37 +0000, Siri Cruise said:

> I can't say how much I appreciate when it decides I no longer
> need to adjust a window so it draws the window frame beyond the
> screen edges so I can no longer change the size or even see the
> traffic lights. The fix is to quit and then try to find the
> preferences in ~/Library and delete those. This is such a winning
> OS. I assume Apple is trying to destroy its laptop market.

It's not Mac OS, it's something you've done.

A. Possibly you've activated full screen mode by accident.
Try one of these:
- move the mouse cursor to the top of the display
to show the app's toolbar or title bar and click
the green 'traffic light' button.
- press Command-Control-F.
- Go ot the menu bar and choose View > Exit Full Screen.

B. Change the Display prefences to a higher resolution so
the window is on-screen properly. Alter the window, then
change the resolution back.

C. If you've been using more than one display or mirroring
to a bigger display, you may need to plug back into those
extra displays to fic the window beofre disconnecting them.

Re: OSX 11.6 window frames

<slrnt2bqv2.jaf.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13852&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13852

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 11:26:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 11:26 UTC

In message <chine.bleu-3C4067.20262906032022@reader.eternal-september.org> Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can't say how much I appreciate when it decides I no longer
> need to adjust a window so it draws the window frame beyond the
> screen edges so I can no longer change the size or even see the
> traffic lights.

What the hell are you talking about? You can drag to resize a window
from any edge.

> The fix is to quit and then try to find the preferences in ~/Library
> and delete

This is nonsense. I have *never* had to do that for any application on
any Mac since I first used a Mac in 1987.

--
And there were all the stars, looking remarkably like powered
diamonds spilled on black velvet, the stars that lured and

Re: OSX 11.6 window frames

<chine.bleu-4C8961.04085407032022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13853&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13853

From: chine.b...@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 04:09:03 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:09 UTC

In article <slrnt2bqv2.jaf.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>,
Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> In message <chine.bleu-3C4067.20262906032022@reader.eternal-september.org>
> Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I can't say how much I appreciate when it decides I no longer
> > need to adjust a window so it draws the window frame beyond the
> > screen edges so I can no longer change the size or even see the
> > traffic lights.
>
> What the hell are you talking about? You can drag to resize a window
> from any edge.

Not when the edge is offscreen.

> > The fix is to quit and then try to find the preferences in ~/Library
> > and delete
>
> This is nonsense. I have *never* had to do that for any application on
> any Mac since I first used a Mac in 1987.

I never had this before getting stuck 11.6.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: OSX 11.6 window frames

<chine.bleu-8A2781.04181207032022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13854&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13854

From: chine.b...@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 04:18:20 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:18 UTC

In article
<377dc349-e4cb-49df-b83d-560d3f4df161n@googlegroups.com>,
STALKING_TARGET_65 <frelwizzen@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It's not Mac OS, it's something you've done.

Yes. I turned on the machine.

> > A. Possibly you've activated full screen mode by accident.
> > Try one of these:
> > - move the mouse cursor to the top of the display
> > to show the app's toolbar or title bar and click
> > the green 'traffic light' button.

I can't do that because the title bar like resize zones are drawn
offscreen

> > - press Command-Control-F.
> > - Go ot the menu bar and choose View > Exit Full Screen.
> >
> > B. Change the Display prefences to a higher resolution so
> > the window is on-screen properly. Alter the window, then
> > change the resolution back.

The resolutions are Default or Scaled. I use Accessibility>Zoom
but if that's screwing window boundaries, that's another neat
idea for 11.6.

I installed the latest Seashore and discoverred it and the OS
don't agree on where pixels and the mouse are. It makes the
pencil nearly worthless.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: OSX 11.6 window frames

<slrnt2crh8.aou.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13855&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13855

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 20:42:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 20:42 UTC

In message <chine.bleu-4C8961.04085407032022@reader.eternal-september.org> Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnt2bqv2.jaf.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>,
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

>> In message <chine.bleu-3C4067.20262906032022@reader.eternal-september.org>
>> Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > I can't say how much I appreciate when it decides I no longer
>> > need to adjust a window so it draws the window frame beyond the
>> > screen edges so I can no longer change the size or even see the
>> > traffic lights.
>>
>> What the hell are you talking about? You can drag to resize a window
>> from any edge.

> Not when the edge is offscreen.

It is not possible to get all four edges offscreen.

--
When the least they could do to you was everything, then the most
they could do to you suddenly held no terror. --Small Gods

Re: OSX 11.6 window frames

<t066b9$14gd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13856&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13856

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 13:00:41 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 00:00 UTC

On 2022-03-07 12:18:20 +0000, Siri Cruise said:
> In article
> <377dc349-e4cb-49df-b83d-560d3f4df161n@googlegroups.com>,
> STALKING_TARGET_65 <frelwizzen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not Mac OS, it's something you've done.
>
> Yes. I turned on the machine.
>
>>> A. Possibly you've activated full screen mode by accident.
>>> Try one of these:
>>> - move the mouse cursor to the top of the display
>>> to show the app's toolbar or title bar and click
>>> the green 'traffic light' button.
>
> I can't do that because the title bar like resize zones are drawn
> offscreen
>
>>> - press Command-Control-F.
>>> - Go to the menu bar and choose View > Exit Full Screen.
>>>
>>> B. Change the Display prefences to a higher resolution so
>>> the window is on-screen properly. Alter the window, then
>>> change the resolution back.
>
> The resolutions are Default or Scaled.

Scaled allows you to choose a resolution. Holding down the Option key
when selecting scaled may give you more resolution choices. Some
resolutions may not work with your particular display, but the OS will
change it and then ask for confirmation - if you don't confirm it
(because you can't see it), the OS will automatically switch back to
the original resolution after a few seconds.

> I use Accessibility>Zoom but if that's screwing window boundaries,
> that's another neat idea for 11.6.
>
> I installed the latest Seashore and discoverred it and the OS
> don't agree on where pixels and the mouse are. It makes the
> pencil nearly worthless.

If you're using Zoom with Seashore, then that's likely a bug in the app
that the developer needs to sort out. Few people use either, let alone
both, so probably nobody has noticed it before.