May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

SubjectAuthor
* What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Alan Browne
+* Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Lewis
|`* Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Alan Browne
| `* Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Lewis
|  `- Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Alan Browne
`* Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?gtr
 `* Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Alan Browne
  `* Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?gtr
   `- Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?Alan Browne

1
What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<mPQVJ.52823$jxu4.6211@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13865&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13865

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:31:45 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 22:31 UTC

Ultra is beyond my needs, and Max smack right there perfect. The form
factor of the Studio is what I've been talking about for over a decade:
more powerful than the top mini in a desktop unit.

If I go for that with 1 TB memory and 32 GB RAM, that's $3160 tax-in
Canuck bucks. Might even spring for 64 GB mem. $3735 with tax. If it
goes the distance as this current 2012 iMac has done, that will be great.

I can lash that up to my very decent Samsung 4K display (Linux system at
present) and a secondary 1080p display for my "sidecar" display (e-mail,
calendar, etc...)

(I could probably hack my 27" iMac into a display - just need to find
the right h/w to interconnect (bypassing the iMac 27" CPU)).

Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).

Mull it over for a bit. No rush.

--
Beginning in the 1970's, all birds in North America were replaced by
drones made to look and act like birds. By 2004, no real birds are to

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<slrnt2fmpj.2k2l.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13867&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13867

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 22:39:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 22:39 UTC

In message <mPQVJ.52823$jxu4.6211@fx02.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
> roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).

How certain are you there will be an iMac with a M1 Max?

I am not at all confident that will happen.

--
Were it not for frustration and humiliation I suppose the human race
would get ideas above its station. -Ogden Nash

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<I3TVJ.57837$dln7.7226@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13872&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13872

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 20:05:44 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 01:05 UTC

On 2022-03-08 17:39, Lewis wrote:
> In message <mPQVJ.52823$jxu4.6211@fx02.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
>> roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).
>
> How certain are you there will be an iMac with a M1 Max?

Dunno. I'm in no rush at present. Only bottle neck I have is video
rendering and I haven't been shooting a lot of video recently.

--
Beginning in the 1970's, all birds in North America were replaced by
drones made to look and act like birds. By 2004, no real birds are to
be found. They are all drones. They all belong to the government.
They spy on everyone. All of the time. Birds are not real.

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<slrnt2gfpn.fjk.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13877&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13877

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 05:46:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 05:46 UTC

In message <I3TVJ.57837$dln7.7226@fx03.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2022-03-08 17:39, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <mPQVJ.52823$jxu4.6211@fx02.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>> Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
>>> roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).
>>
>> How certain are you there will be an iMac with a M1 Max?

> Dunno. I'm in no rush at present. Only bottle neck I have is video
> rendering and I haven't been shooting a lot of video recently.

Unless you are shooting multiple 8K streams that you need to edit
simultaneously, any M1 Mac will handle the video without any effort at
all. An M1 Air with 16GB is faster at 4K video than an i9 MacBook Pro
with 32GB of RAM.

--
Live long enough to become a problem to your kids.

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<3p3WJ.54725$LN2.9916@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13881&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13881

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:07:43 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:07 UTC

On 2022-03-09 00:46, Lewis wrote:
> In message <I3TVJ.57837$dln7.7226@fx03.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How certain are you there will be an iMac with a M1 Max?
>
>> Dunno. I'm in no rush at present. Only bottle neck I have is video
>> rendering and I haven't been shooting a lot of video recently.
>
> Unless you are shooting multiple 8K streams that you need to edit
> simultaneously, any M1 Mac will handle the video without any effort at
> all. An M1 Air with 16GB is faster at 4K video than an i9 MacBook Pro
> with 32GB of RAM.

I tend to spend more money for the long term so it's got to count.
That's why this 2012 iMac is still my main computer.

So rather than the most basic M1 available now, I'd rather get the Max
and with lots of memory. I can wait to see how the iMac evolves before
deciding on the Mac Studio or iMac. Whether I can wait as long as until
the Autumn remains to be seen.

--
Beginning in the 1970's, all birds in North America were replaced by
drones made to look and act like birds. By 2004, no real birds are to
be found. They are all drones. They all belong to the government.
They spy on everyone. All of the time. Birds are not real.

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<t0bn4h$ds4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13889&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13889

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:17:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:17 UTC

On Mar 8, 2022 at 2:31:45 PM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> Ultra is beyond my needs, and Max smack right there perfect. The form
> factor of the Studio is what I've been talking about for over a decade:
> more powerful than the top mini in a desktop unit.
>
> If I go for that with 1 TB memory and 32 GB RAM, that's $3160 tax-in
> Canuck bucks. Might even spring for 64 GB mem. $3735 with tax. If it
> goes the distance as this current 2012 iMac has done, that will be great.
>
> I can lash that up to my very decent Samsung 4K display (Linux system at
> present) and a secondary 1080p display for my "sidecar" display (e-mail,
> calendar, etc...)
>
> (I could probably hack my 27" iMac into a display - just need to find
> the right h/w to interconnect (bypassing the iMac 27" CPU)).
>
> Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
> roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).
>
> Mull it over for a bit. No rush.

I've been considering buying-in for a replacement for my MacBook Pro 15" 2015.
Over the past year I got spooked with another swollen battery replacement and
various issues solved by updating to Monterrey. So now I'm safe again and in
no immediate hurry.

I'm okay with a hefty price tag because I've managed to get 8 or more years
out the last number of machines; both mine and the wife's. In the future I'm
not sure how quickly I'll be to buy the more expensive machines. They may
become obsolete more rapidly thatn in the past with new technolgies I can't
even imagine at present. They've surprised me repeatedly with gee-whiz tech
for 25 years.

-- Gerry

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<ertWJ.96364$m1S7.88989@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13893&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13893

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 15:44:58 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:44 UTC

On 2022-03-09 21:17, gtr wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2022 at 2:31:45 PM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Ultra is beyond my needs, and Max smack right there perfect. The form
>> factor of the Studio is what I've been talking about for over a decade:
>> more powerful than the top mini in a desktop unit.
>>
>> If I go for that with 1 TB memory and 32 GB RAM, that's $3160 tax-in
>> Canuck bucks. Might even spring for 64 GB mem. $3735 with tax. If it
>> goes the distance as this current 2012 iMac has done, that will be great.
>>
>> I can lash that up to my very decent Samsung 4K display (Linux system at
>> present) and a secondary 1080p display for my "sidecar" display (e-mail,
>> calendar, etc...)
>>
>> (I could probably hack my 27" iMac into a display - just need to find
>> the right h/w to interconnect (bypassing the iMac 27" CPU)).
>>
>> Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
>> roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).
>>
>> Mull it over for a bit. No rush.
>
> I've been considering buying-in for a replacement for my MacBook Pro 15" 2015.
> Over the past year I got spooked with another swollen battery replacement and
> various issues solved by updating to Monterrey. So now I'm safe again and in
> no immediate hurry.
>
> I'm okay with a hefty price tag because I've managed to get 8 or more years
> out the last number of machines; both mine and the wife's. In the future I'm
> not sure how quickly I'll be to buy the more expensive machines. They may
> become obsolete more rapidly thatn in the past with new technolgies I can't
> even imagine at present. They've surprised me repeatedly with gee-whiz tech
> for 25 years.

This iMac (2012 model, 27", i7 quad core (hyper threaded) - bought it
"Apple refurbished" in 2013 with 8 GB; updated to 24 GB) is the longest
serving "main" personal computer I've ever owned[1]. For all of its
tasks up to photo editing it is fine. It's annoying once I start video
editing.

So I don't mind shelling out the cash for a good machine as I'm sure it
will be good for me for a pretty long time going forward. I see the Mac
Studio as a 10 year machine - at least for me.

[1] I've had a Windows "machine" go longer than 10 years ... but it also
had three different mother boards in there over time - not to mention
various cards swapped, disks, etc. Traded it to an employee for
something around 2003 and he used it for many years after (maybe still
is...)

--
Beginning in the 1970's, all birds in North America were replaced by
drones made to look and act like birds. By 2004, no real birds are to
be found. They are all drones. They all belong to the government.
They spy on everyone. All of the time. Birds are not real.

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<t0erav$del$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13903&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13903

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:47:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:47 UTC

On Mar 10, 2022 at 12:44:58 PM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On 2022-03-09 21:17, gtr wrote:
>> On Mar 8, 2022 at 2:31:45 PM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Ultra is beyond my needs, and Max smack right there perfect. The form
>>> factor of the Studio is what I've been talking about for over a decade:
>>> more powerful than the top mini in a desktop unit.
>>>
>>> If I go for that with 1 TB memory and 32 GB RAM, that's $3160 tax-in
>>> Canuck bucks. Might even spring for 64 GB mem. $3735 with tax. If it
>>> goes the distance as this current 2012 iMac has done, that will be great.
>>>
>>> I can lash that up to my very decent Samsung 4K display (Linux system at
>>> present) and a secondary 1080p display for my "sidecar" display (e-mail,
>>> calendar, etc...)
>>>
>>> (I could probably hack my 27" iMac into a display - just need to find
>>> the right h/w to interconnect (bypassing the iMac 27" CPU)).
>>>
>>> Or should I wait for an iMac with M1 Max (or M2 whatever)? That won't
>>> roll out until the Autumn or later, I 'spect. (Maybe June?).
>>>
>>> Mull it over for a bit. No rush.
>>
>> I've been considering buying-in for a replacement for my MacBook Pro 15" 2015.
>> Over the past year I got spooked with another swollen battery replacement and
>> various issues solved by updating to Monterrey. So now I'm safe again and in
>> no immediate hurry.
>>
>> I'm okay with a hefty price tag because I've managed to get 8 or more years
>> out the last number of machines; both mine and the wife's. In the future I'm
>> not sure how quickly I'll be to buy the more expensive machines. They may
>> become obsolete more rapidly thatn in the past with new technolgies I can't
>> even imagine at present. They've surprised me repeatedly with gee-whiz tech
>> for 25 years.
>
> This iMac (2012 model, 27", i7 quad core (hyper threaded) - bought it
> "Apple refurbished" in 2013 with 8 GB; updated to 24 GB) is the longest
> serving "main" personal computer I've ever owned[1]. For all of its
> tasks up to photo editing it is fine. It's annoying once I start video
> editing.

As a point of curiousity what do you use for editing video?

> So I don't mind shelling out the cash for a good machine as I'm sure it
> will be good for me for a pretty long time going forward. I see the Mac
> Studio as a 10 year machine - at least for me.
>
> [1] I've had a Windows "machine" go longer than 10 years ... but it also
> had three different mother boards in there over time - not to mention
> various cards swapped, disks, etc. Traded it to an employee for
> something around 2003 and he used it for many years after (maybe still
> is...)

Re: What to do? Studio or wait for iMac with Max?

<0nLWJ.109218$7F2.55671@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13909&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13909

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:09:15 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:09 UTC

On 2022-03-11 01:47, gtr wrote:

> As a point of curiousity what do you use for editing video?

DaVinci Resolve (Free for non commercial use). A bear of a program to
learn - at least there are a lot of YT's out there to get you started
and when you want to learn how to do a particular effect (and I don't do
a lot), you can patiently watch a YT to learn how.

I am considering Final Cut Pro, however, as I expect it will be easier
to use and it will likely last me many years on a single purchase. Not
as powerful as Resolve (I don't think so anyway), but probably has 10x
more than I need.