If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong. -- Norm Schryer

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / What even is the purpose of this group?

SubjectAuthor
* What even is the purpose of this group?SneedTheFeed
+* Re: What even is the purpose of this group?SEC3
|`* Re: What even is the purpose of this group?Christopher M
| `- Re: What even is the purpose of this group?Nomen Nescio
`* Re: What even is the purpose of this group?anonymous
 `- Re: What even is the purpose of this group?bad sector

1
What even is the purpose of this group?

<tv430s$2ek03$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13879&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13879

From: ManualNi...@proton.me (SneedTheFeed)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: What even is the purpose of this group?
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:15:56 +0100
 by: SneedTheFeed - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:15 UTC

Question in title ^^^

Sneed

Re: What even is the purpose of this group?

<hyiRL.1072874$gGD7.993173@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13880&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13880

Subject: Re: What even is the purpose of this group?
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 08:56:45 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 12:56 UTC

On 3/18/23 06:15, SneedTheFeed wrote:
> Question in title ^^^
>
> Sneed

There used to be a FAQ that was posted here regularly. But that was many
years ago. It has since become very outdated and therefore not so useful.

That FAQ said:

"APAS is an unmoderated, non binary, low volume newsgroup for the
discussion of all things related to anonymity on the 'Net but
especially related to anonymous remailers. In the past year or so
discussions have widened to include those relating to new anonymizing
services that exist outside of the traditional anonymous remailer
network. I am speaking of services like Zero Knowledge's Freedom
software, COTSE, Hushmail and Anonymizer to name a few."

[...]

"This is also the place where the authors of anonymous remailer
software (QuickSilver author Richard Christman, for example) can
provide advice and support for their products."

SOURCE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/privacy/anon-server/faq/use/part2/

--
SEC3

YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: What even is the purpose of this group?

<01c7398422c8785f21c2e510d9e9a42f@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13885&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13885

From: non...@invalid.com (anonymous)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 01:03:21 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.newsreaders, alt.free.newsservers, alt.free.nntp,
alt.privacy.anon-server, news.software.readers
 by: anonymous - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 00:03 UTC

On 18 Mar 2023, SneedTheFeed <ManualNidal56@proton.me> posted some

> Question in title ^^^
>
> Sneed

Hello,

My name is Izoobody Nepherenetez and I am a general officer of the
moorkhaph army. I am holding 350 million petoozuls and need a bank
account number to deposit it in.

If you wil provide yours temporarily, I will reward you handsomely.

Re: What even is the purpose of this group?

<60qdnQhsnItHlon4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15394&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#15394

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 07:02:51 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.newsreaders,alt.free.newsservers,alt.free.nntp,alt.privacy.anon-server,news.software.readers
From: forge...@invalid.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:02 UTC

On 3/18/23 20:03, anonymous wrote:
> On 18 Mar 2023, SneedTheFeed <ManualNidal56@proton.me> posted some
>
>> Question in title ^^^
>>
>> Sneed
>
> Hello,
>
> My name is Izoobody Nepherenetez and I am a general officer of the
> moorkhaph army. I am holding 350 million petoozuls and need a bank
> account number to deposit it in.
>
> If you wil provide yours temporarily, I will reward you handsomely.

I accept only €urop€sos

Re: What even is the purpose of this group?

<5da870e0-74b7-453c-9462-9b8137db9ba3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16290&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16290

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:40:58 -0800 (PST)
From: christop...@gmail.com (Christopher M)
 by: Christopher M - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 23:40 UTC

On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 8:56:47 AM UTC-4, SEC3 wrote:
> On 3/18/23 06:15, SneedTheFeed wrote:
> > Question in title ^^^
> >
> > Sneed
> There used to be a FAQ that was posted here regularly. But that was many
> years ago. It has since become very outdated and therefore not so useful.
>
> That FAQ said:
>
> "APAS is an unmoderated, non binary, low volume newsgroup for the
> discussion of all things related to anonymity on the 'Net but
> especially related to anonymous remailers. In the past year or so
> discussions have widened to include those relating to new anonymizing
> services that exist outside of the traditional anonymous remailer
> network. I am speaking of services like Zero Knowledge's Freedom
> software, COTSE, Hushmail and Anonymizer to name a few."
>
> [...]
>
> "This is also the place where the authors of anonymous remailer
> software (QuickSilver author Richard Christman, for example) can
> provide advice and support for their products."
>
> SOURCE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/privacy/anon-server/faq/use/part2/
>
> --
> SEC3
>
> YAMN Help Tutorial - https://www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

What ever happened to Richard? He was the nicest guy for those of us back in the day who wanted to learn about remailers. It's been over 22 years since i last thought about this and last used his software but it came back into my mind while reading an article on privacy. I gather he must be pretty old by now. I never communicated with him but was just always so appreciative of what he built and his gentle manner in supporting it.

Re: What even is the purpose of this group?

<2ef3e37c0b276e7f4dc08ec07f6c4f3d@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16296&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16296

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:03:47 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:03 UTC

On 12/30/2023 3:40 PM, Christopher M wrote:

> What ever happened to Richard? He was the nicest guy for those of us back in the day who wanted to learn about remailers. It's been over 22 years since i last thought about this and last used his software but it came back into my mind while reading an article on privacy. I gather he must be pretty old by now. I never communicated with him but was just always so appreciative of what he built and his gentle manner in supporting it.

Richard retired about 5+ years ago, in part due to poor health.

He'd be in his mid-seventies now.

We appreciate and honor him for all his amazing contributions. He
is definitely missed.