From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: A strange message received using Thunderbird via Omnimix
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 20:32:37 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 19:32 UTC

Hi,
I configured about a year ago Tunderbird via Omnimix.
I send usually messages by using the mailer tab in Omnimix and I
receive
the answers by using Thunderbird via Omnimix.
Well, I received several answers by my interlocutors, with a clear
subject and a clear sender and a clear body.
But one of these messages was a particular one.
The subject was a thing similar to:
57487d5b7264ce62d033a7627e36e55bcb197acbc0pd9cc8
(this is only an example)
the sender was: nobody@remailer.paranoici.org
and the body was:
**
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: Mixmaster 3.1 (OpenPGP module)

jA0EAgMCszOtQYh4j/7/0uoBtLzVSbYbSNjQL2gBleREpuPAsSLR+C/IGTGf4j0K
bla
bla
bla
bla
V7GUIOWXCT12/BjmIONIBzcGY5fME1+MXpCQct/8sJwBNhFIKjbD6XrRCvXgtIZ2
OaJOqeY0nZe6qao=
=/Oai
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
(this is only an example).

What happened?
I think: if Omnimix found this message, that is because it understand
that it is encrypted by the public key of one of my nym accounts, as
usual.
But why it shows to me the body encrypted exactly as it is on
alt.anonympus.messages?
Another observation; my interlocutors don't know that my addres is a
nym
account, they do not know omnimix, remailers, anonymous ramailing.
One of the remailer server has a problem?

Re: A strange message received using Thunderbird via Omnimix

<20230321.011921.82d4d978@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13898&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13898

From: nob...@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 01:19:21 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 01:19 UTC

Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I configured about a year ago Tunderbird via Omnimix.
>I send usually messages by using the mailer tab in Omnimix and I
>receive
>the answers by using Thunderbird via Omnimix.
>Well, I received several answers by my interlocutors, with a clear
>subject and a clear sender and a clear body.
>But one of these messages was a particular one.
>The subject was a thing similar to:
>57487d5b7264ce62d033a7627e36e55bcb197acbc0pd9cc8
>(this is only an example)
>the sender was: nobody@remailer.paranoici.org
>and the body was:
>**
>-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>Version: Mixmaster 3.1 (OpenPGP module)
>
>jA0EAgMCszOtQYh4j/7/0uoBtLzVSbYbSNjQL2gBleREpuPAsSLR+C/IGTGf4j0K
>bla
>bla
>bla
>bla
>V7GUIOWXCT12/BjmIONIBzcGY5fME1+MXpCQct/8sJwBNhFIKjbD6XrRCvXgtIZ2
>OaJOqeY0nZe6qao=
>=/Oai
>-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>(this is only an example).
>
>What happened?
>I think: if Omnimix found this message, that is because it understand
>that it is encrypted by the public key of one of my nym accounts, as
>usual.

OM locates nym messages based on their encoded subjects.

>But why it shows to me the body encrypted exactly as it is on
>alt.anonympus.messages?

Nym reply messages, which OM fails to decode, are sent to the mail
client application without any modification. There's only a header line
explaining the failure added on top of it:

| O-Nym-Info: Decoding of message failed (subject verified for account 'qwerty@nym.mixmin.net'; slot=14; sym=1; asym=0)

Such a flawed message encoding at one of the cypherpunk remailers in the
reply chain can happen every once in a while. The slot number tells you
which reply block is affected.

Copy the whole message including the header section and try to decode it
manually at the Decoding tab of OM's Nym Configurator by pasting it into
the Encoded area and clicking the Decode Nym button. The Decoded area
will show you a log of the decoding process including the erroneous
step.

If you're interested in the passphrases used within a reply chain select
your nym at the Nym Accounts list, switch to the Nym Routing tab and at
the bottom select the reply chain / slot number you're interested in.
Then back at the Nym Accounts tab click Show Mantras to get the results
written to the Log list below.

>Another observation; my interlocutors don't know that my addres is a
>nym
>account, they do not know omnimix, remailers, anonymous ramailing.
>One of the remailer server has a problem?

Yes, obviously.

Re: A strange message received using Thunderbird via Omnimix

<184fd8bf191bd21bd9718e4e43c8c460@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13900&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13900

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:48:28 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 07:48 UTC

> Copy the whole message including the header section and try to decode it
> manually at the Decoding tab of OM's Nym Configurator by pasting it into
> the Encoded area and clicking the Decode Nym button. The Decoded area
> will show you a log of the decoding process including the erroneous
> step.

Thank You

Re: A strange message received using Thunderbird via Omnimix

<fa2234bb847bbb34aa6411813adaac10@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13901&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13901

From: anonym...@none.invalid (anonymous)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:04:02 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anonymous - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:04 UTC

Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote in

> Copy the whole message including the header section and try to decode
> it manually at the Decoding tab of OM's Nym Configurator by pasting it
> into the Encoded area and clicking the Decode Nym button. The Decoded
> area will show you a log of the decoding process including the
> erroneous step.
>
> If you're interested in the passphrases used within a reply chain
> select your nym at the Nym Accounts list, switch to the Nym Routing
> tab and at the bottom select the reply chain / slot number you're
> interested in. Then back at the Nym Accounts tab click Show Mantras to
> get the results written to the Log list below.
>
>>Another observation; my interlocutors don't know that my addres is a
>>nym
>>account, they do not know omnimix, remailers, anonymous ramailing.
>>One of the remailer server has a problem?
>
> Yes, obviously.

That is a really helpful option. OmniMix comes thru again.

Re: A strange message received using Thunderbird via Omnimix

<0a67fa89d00014891edcd002efeeb4ea@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13902&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13902

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 16:14:31 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:14 UTC

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:04:02 +0100 (CET), anonymous <anonymous@none.invalid> wrote:

>Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote in
>
>> Copy the whole message including the header section and try to decode
>> it manually at the Decoding tab of OM's Nym Configurator by pasting it
>> into the Encoded area and clicking the Decode Nym button. The Decoded
>> area will show you a log of the decoding process including the
>> erroneous step.
>>
>> If you're interested in the passphrases used within a reply chain
>> select your nym at the Nym Accounts list, switch to the Nym Routing
>> tab and at the bottom select the reply chain / slot number you're
>> interested in. Then back at the Nym Accounts tab click Show Mantras to
>> get the results written to the Log list below.
>>
>>>Another observation; my interlocutors don't know that my addres is a
>>>nym
>>>account, they do not know omnimix, remailers, anonymous ramailing.
>>>One of the remailer server has a problem?
>>
>> Yes, obviously.
>

>That is a really helpful option. OmniMix comes thru again.

+1

Big upvote for Omnimix.