Subject: BitMessage is Awesome
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 21:44:31 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 21:44 UTC

<https://odinnsecurity.com/anonymity/in-depth-analysis-of-bitmessage/#:~:text=Encryption%20for%20data%2Dat%2Drest,the%20contents%20of%20the%20messages>

Re: BitMessage is Awesome

<tv5psr$1auc$1@news.cyber23.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13887&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13887

From: anonym...@remailer.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Re: BitMessage is Awesome
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 20:52:45 -0500
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 01:52 UTC

On 3/18/23 16:44, Anonymous Remailer wrote:
> <https://odinnsecurity.com/anonymity/in-depth-analysis-of-bitmessage/#:~:text=Encryption%20for%20data%2Dat%2Drest,the%20contents%20of%20the%20messages>

You could have quoted a paragraph snippet or two for the benefit of
readers. Just posting a link with the word \awesome\ doesn't inspire
people to click.

The PyBitmessage maintainer, Peter Surda, was a long-time developer on
the VLC (VideoLan) project. He is apparently cashed in on the bitcoin
bazillionaire beginnings. He has been paying people with his own money
to maintain the free software.

A few years ago I asked him where to donate and he said not to worry
about donating. I don't know if he has run out of bitcoins yet. If the
PyBitmessage does take donations they've earned some money love.

Re: BitMessage is Awesome

<20230321060302.2E44412092B@fleegle.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13899&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13899

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 06:03:02 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: skeptic<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Skeptic)
 by: Skeptic - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 06:03 UTC

On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 21:44:31 +0000, Anonymous Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid>
said in alt.privacy.anon-server:

<https://odinnsecurity.com/anonymity/in-depth-analysis-of-bitmessage/#:~:text=Encryption%20for%20data%2Dat%2Drest,the%20contents%20of%20the%20messages>

Nice security analysis of Bitmessage, but the article has no date. Based on the
fact that it references bitmessage.ch, which was finally shutdown over 2 years
ago, that means that the article is at at least 4 years old, given that the
Bitmessage.ch site began the shutdown process in mid-2019.

Of rather more concern is the fact that Bitmessage is written in Python 2, which
was end-of-lifed on January 1st, 2020 -- over 3 years ago, now. That means no
patches, no bug-fixes, no security updates.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has ported Bitmessage to Python 3, so the
future of Bitmessage is cloudy at best. Finally, Python 2 has been dropped from
most Linux distros software repositories, meaning if you want to run Python 2,
you have to scramble to find a copy that will install on your machine.

All in all, that is a very shaky foundation for a privacy-focused communications
infrastructure.

Re: BitMessage is Awesome

<tveaj9$27apa$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13903&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13903

From: dent...@ether.can (sneaky dentist with a can of ether)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 02:26:56 -0500
 by: sneaky dentist with - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 07:26 UTC

On 3/21/23 01:03, Skeptic wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 21:44:31 +0000, Anonymous Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid>
> said in alt.privacy.anon-server:
>
> <https://odinnsecurity.com/anonymity/in-depth-analysis-of-bitmessage/#:~:text=Encryption%20for%20data%2Dat%2Drest,the%20contents%20of%20the%20messages>
>
> Nice security analysis of Bitmessage, but the article has no date. Based on the
> fact that it references bitmessage.ch, which was finally shutdown over 2 years
> ago, that means that the article is at at least 4 years old, given that the
> Bitmessage.ch site began the shutdown process in mid-2019.
>
> Of rather more concern is the fact that Bitmessage is written in Python 2, which
> was end-of-lifed on January 1st, 2020 -- over 3 years ago, now. That means no
> patches, no bug-fixes, no security updates.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, no one has ported Bitmessage to Python 3, so the
> future of Bitmessage is cloudy at best. Finally, Python 2 has been dropped from
> most Linux distros software repositories, meaning if you want to run Python 2,
> you have to scramble to find a copy that will install on your machine.
>
> All in all, that is a very shaky foundation for a privacy-focused communications
> infrastructure.

Now that you've chimed in, please provide the URL(s) of whatever
software(s) is/are a good privacy-focused communications infrastructure.
And please explain why such-and-such is superior to Bitmessage.

--

sneaky dentist with a can of ether
'creeping around your back door'