"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

SubjectAuthor
* argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Siri Cruise
+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Your Name
+* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.johnson
|+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Dr Eberhard W Lisse
|+* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
||`- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Alan
|`* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.vallor
| +* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.%
| |`- [Meta] Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.vallor
| +* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
| |`* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Keith Thompson
| | +- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Your Name
| | `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
| |  `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Keith Thompson
| |   `- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Your Name
| `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Popping Mad
|  `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Alan
|   +- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Dr Eberhard W Lisse
|   `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Muttley
|    +* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Scott Lurndal
|    |+- nc is "new telnet" (Was: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.)Kenny McCormack
|    |+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.TimS
|    |`* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Muttley
|    | `- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Rainer Weikusat
|    +- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Alan
|    `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
|     +- There is a program and there is a protocol... (Was: argh macs are becoming pennyKenny McCormack
|     +* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Keith Thompson
|     |+* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
|     ||+* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Keith Thompson
|     |||+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.vallor
|     |||`* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
|     ||| +- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.!
|     ||| +* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.James Kuyper
|     ||| |`* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Lewis
|     ||| | `* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.James Kuyper
|     ||| |  +- Telnet (Was: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.)Kenny McCormack
|     ||| |  `- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Keith Thompson
|     ||| `- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Ben Bacarisse
|     ||`- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Jim Gibson
|     |+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.johnson
|     |`* Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Rainer Weikusat
|     | `- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Muttley
|     `- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Muttley
+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.Anssi Saari
+- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.James K. Lowden
`- Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.William Ahern

Pages:12
argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<chine.bleu-384744.21303812032022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13940&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13940

From: chine.b...@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 21:30:49 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 05:30 UTC

Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image,
Quicktime, Apache, and so much software we needed came
preinstalled. XCode was okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
And we previously used MPW on System 7.

I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is
programmer tool that let's programmer explore most network
protocols by hand. It's real useful for programmers and doesn't
cost other customers when they don't use it.

I lost my 10.7 laptop which finally went the way of all silicon
flesh. I got 11.6 replacement, and my life has been hell on it.
Nothing is straightforward. XCode is hopeless. We've already
partially ported to Linux with ffmpeg replacing the dead
Quicktime and imagemagick Core Image.

I've come to realise MacOS has been Googlised. It's all AI which
decides it knows what I want to do instead of letting me do what
I want. Odd but it often decides I want to give Apple money.

I liked GUitarBand but I haven't found if it's still available.
Inkscape is broken with no other free SVG edittor, SeaShore
screws up pixel hits so pencil is broken. Otherwise there's not
much left for developping software on Macs. I think it's time to
argue to our company to abandon Macs except to run VirtualBox to
run Linux.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0k3gr$1cv4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13941&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13941

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 19:38:19 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:38 UTC

On 2022-03-13 05:30:49 +0000, Siri Cruise said:

> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image,
> Quicktime, Apache, and so much software we needed came
> preinstalled. XCode was okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>
> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is
> programmer tool that let's programmer explore most network
> protocols by hand. It's real useful for programmers and doesn't
> cost other customers when they don't use it.
>
> I lost my 10.7 laptop which finally went the way of all silicon
> flesh. I got 11.6 replacement, and my life has been hell on it.
> Nothing is straightforward. XCode is hopeless. We've already
> partially ported to Linux with ffmpeg replacing the dead
> Quicktime and imagemagick Core Image.
>
> I've come to realise MacOS has been Googlised. It's all AI which
> decides it knows what I want to do instead of letting me do what
> I want. Odd but it often decides I want to give Apple money.
>
> I liked GUitarBand but I haven't found if it's still available.
> Inkscape is broken with no other free SVG edittor,

According to the website, Inkscape works with Mac OS 10.11 - 12. If you
are having issues, you need ot take it up with the developer. It's
certainly got bugger all to do with Apple.

> SeaShore screws up pixel hits so pencil is broken.

As above.

> Otherwise there's not much left for developping software on Macs. I
> think it's time to argue to our company to abandon Macs except to run
> VirtualBox to
> run Linux.

Or, you can take your continual whining to another platofrm and leave us alone.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<VQkXJ.363417$8b1.141633@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13942&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13942

Followup: comp.sys.mac.system
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
From: roo...@example.net (johnson)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47:01 GMT
 by: johnson - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
On 2022-03-13, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image,
> Quicktime, Apache, and so much software we needed came
> preinstalled. XCode was okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>
> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is
> programmer tool that let's programmer explore most network
> protocols by hand. It's real useful for programmers and doesn't
> cost other customers when they don't use it.

The real 'programmer tool' is nc(1)

A telnet substitute using this:
nc -ct example.com 23

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<j96g1jFmu3oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13944&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13944

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:13:55 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:13 UTC

brew install telnet

el

On 2022-03-13 13:47 , johnson wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
> On 2022-03-13, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image,
>> Quicktime, Apache, and so much software we needed came
>> preinstalled. XCode was okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
>> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>>
>> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is
>> programmer tool that let's programmer explore most network
>> protocols by hand. It's real useful for programmers and doesn't
>> cost other customers when they don't use it.
>>

> The real 'programmer tool' is nc(1)
>
> A telnet substitute using this:
> nc -ct example.com 23

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<slrnt2sd7a.lth.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13946&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13946

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 18:16:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 18:16 UTC

In message <VQkXJ.363417$8b1.141633@usenetxs.com> johnson <root@example.net> wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
> On 2022-03-13, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image,
>> Quicktime, Apache, and so much software we needed came
>> preinstalled. XCode was okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
>> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>>
>> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is
>> programmer tool that let's programmer explore most network
>> protocols by hand. It's real useful for programmers and doesn't
>> cost other customers when they don't use it.

telnet has been deprecated all over the place because it is horribly
insecure. There are mush better ways to connect to a remote machine,
starting with ssh.

> The real 'programmer tool' is nc(1)

> A telnet substitute using this:
> nc -ct example.com 23

That too, though finding anyone who willingly has a relent port open is
very rare anymore.

--
I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart.

I am, I am, I am.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<j96qr9Fmeg6U12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13947&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13947

From: val...@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: 13 Mar 2022 18:18:17 GMT
xDO+mumOY4TIYGSjSwjFch41APF1lafd804zzhD
G8DeKhAhs3VI3k9GbrZxzSPAqSOOxRYS7bm3W5k
Ow/+WSapmcuec5m7FJkoJ5Df3tR2roWvhwZZxzC
D7KGz4tEou8KXHzN85wLH+VSx2ERTooLy7K25b5
wvUZXJRuoe9nOEW1znNW+i/jjIqoqV90wlXcLW0
0UXB/jAJG2gk6Hy+Bc3k/ZQXfSvZsmWp800R40f
ci7pONTESrJ/KnGLDNBHMVgJe5QNrKaFDpYzyQj
veEH//PZwQwxzdeG0QUFY1IKCFGhxWukbtFKoaT
MQJ2rvDtAeD8cx3rgYzlBKSsp/x08yN1uIBi5Xn
gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Am3QsIlXgDHHWpXU5IbdgZM2MbZJxwrQDEM9QAE
rcoiZC6jQJEDqDdvLWWoxCCmsX32k4IgzLAhXNR
1fr+95rSbreaAal4rZNYXKwATerDCsIGrRDMtVS
Neo9614BWskFmK2sdQtrpDj+R+VcJB3CAQ6wZ52
ea494ofvAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
 by: vallor - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 18:18 UTC

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47:01 GMT, johnson wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
> On 2022-03-13, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image, Quicktime,
>> Apache, and so much software we needed came preinstalled. XCode was
>> okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
>> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>>
>> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is programmer
>> tool that let's programmer explore most network protocols by hand. It's
>> real useful for programmers and doesn't cost other customers when they
>> don't use it.
>>

> The real 'programmer tool' is nc(1)
>
> A telnet substitute using this:
> nc -ct example.com 23

[blurb snipped]

I'll summarize:

Typing "telnet" is reflex for oldsters,
and proper in that context. Have a heart for those
of us (tinu?) that had to exist on the pre-ssh
Internet. And telnet(1) was used to test pretty much
anything having to do with tcp.

Meanwhile, oldsters might well "man nc" because really,
telnet is deprecated.

--
-v

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<OfCdnW7yNJSPoLP_nZ2dnUU7-SednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13949&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13949

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
From: pursent...@gmail.com (%)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:50:58 -0700
 by: % - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 18:50 UTC

On 2022-03-13 11:18 a.m., vallor wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47:01 GMT, johnson wrote:

you're a little late

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0lf27$klc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13950&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13950

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 12:01:27 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 19:01 UTC

On 2022-03-13 11:16 a.m., Lewis wrote:
> In message <VQkXJ.363417$8b1.141633@usenetxs.com> johnson <root@example.net> wrote:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
>> On 2022-03-13, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image,
>>> Quicktime, Apache, and so much software we needed came
>>> preinstalled. XCode was okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
>>> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>>>
>>> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is
>>> programmer tool that let's programmer explore most network
>>> protocols by hand. It's real useful for programmers and doesn't
>>> cost other customers when they don't use it.
>
> telnet has been deprecated all over the place because it is horribly
> insecure. There are mush better ways to connect to a remote machine,
> starting with ssh.
>
>> The real 'programmer tool' is nc(1)
>
>> A telnet substitute using this:
>> nc -ct example.com 23
>
> That too, though finding anyone who willingly has a relent port open is
> very rare anymore.

Straight from nc's manpage:

'The nc (or netcat) utility is used for just about anything under the
sun involving TCP or UDP. It can open TCP connections, send UDP
packets, listen on arbitrary TCP and UDP ports, do port scanning, and
deal with both IPv4 and IPv6. Unlike telnet(1), nc scripts nicely, and
separates error messages onto standard error instead of sending them to
standard output, as telnet(1) does with some.'

[Meta] Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<j9723vFmeg6U13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13952&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13952

Followup: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: val...@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: [Meta] Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.
Date: 13 Mar 2022 20:22:23 GMT
xDO+mumOY4TIYGSjSwjFch41APF1lafd804zzhD
G8DeKhAhs3VI3k9GbrZxzSPAqSOOxRYS7bm3W5k
Ow/+WSapmcuec5m7FJkoJ5Df3tR2roWvhwZZxzC
D7KGz4tEou8KXHzN85wLH+VSx2ERTooLy7K25b5
wvUZXJRuoe9nOEW1znNW+i/jjIqoqV90wlXcLW0
0UXB/jAJG2gk6Hy+Bc3k/ZQXfSvZsmWp800R40f
ci7pONTESrJ/KnGLDNBHMVgJe5QNrKaFDpYzyQj
veEH//PZwQwxzdeG0QUFY1IKCFGhxWukbtFKoaT
MQJ2rvDtAeD8cx3rgYzlBKSsp/x08yN1uIBi5Xn
gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Am3QsIlXgDHHWpXU5IbdgZM2MbZJxwrQDEM9QAE
rcoiZC6jQJEDqDdvLWWoxCCmsX32k4IgzLAhXNR
1fr+95rSbreaAal4rZNYXKwATerDCsIGrRDMtVS
Neo9614BWskFmK2sdQtrpDj+R+VcJB3CAQ6wZ52
ea494ofvAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
 by: vallor - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 20:22 UTC

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:50:58 -0700, % wrote:

> On 2022-03-13 11:18 a.m., vallor wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47:01 GMT, johnson wrote:
>
> you're a little late

Late for what?

fu2: cola

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<slrnt2srp8.rml.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13953&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13953

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:24:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:24 UTC

In message <j96qr9Fmeg6U12@mid.individual.net> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47:01 GMT, johnson wrote:

>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
>> On 2022-03-13, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Years ago I pushed our company to use Macs. Core Image, Quicktime,
>>> Apache, and so much software we needed came preinstalled. XCode was
>>> okay, especially when it could edit RTFs.
>>> And we previously used MPW on System 7.
>>>
>>> I tried to use telnet a few days and it's gone. Telnet is programmer
>>> tool that let's programmer explore most network protocols by hand. It's
>>> real useful for programmers and doesn't cost other customers when they
>>> don't use it.
>>>

>> The real 'programmer tool' is nc(1)
>>
>> A telnet substitute using this:
>> nc -ct example.com 23

> [blurb snipped]

> I'll summarize:

> Typing "telnet" is reflex for oldsters,
> and proper in that context. Have a heart for those
> of us (tinu?) that had to exist on the pre-ssh
> Internet. And telnet(1) was used to test pretty much
> anything having to do with tcp.

Was. As in, in the past.

Yes, I used telnet a lot in the 80s and 90s, but not since.

--
Oh never resist an impulse, Sabrina. Especially if it's terrible.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<8735jl5vcv.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13954&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13954

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:41:04 -0700
sha1:U6ilKWufly8l/C40wRN8TFDfCso=
 by: Keith Thompson - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:41 UTC

Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <j96qr9Fmeg6U12@mid.individual.net> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
[...]
>> Typing "telnet" is reflex for oldsters,
>> and proper in that context. Have a heart for those
>> of us (tinu?) that had to exist on the pre-ssh
>> Internet. And telnet(1) was used to test pretty much
>> anything having to do with tcp.
>
> Was. As in, in the past.
>
> Yes, I used telnet a lot in the 80s and 90s, but not since.

I still often use "telnet hostname 22" as a way to test whether a
server's ssh daemon is running (and what version it is). (I use Ubuntu,
so whatever Apple has done to deprecate telnet doesn't affect me.)

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0m0de$vt3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13955&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13955

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:57:34 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:57 UTC

On 2022-03-13 22:41:04 +0000, Keith Thompson said:
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>> In message <j96qr9Fmeg6U12@mid.individual.net> vallor
>> <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Typing "telnet" is reflex for oldsters,
>>> and proper in that context. Have a heart for those
>>> of us (tinu?) that had to exist on the pre-ssh
>>> Internet. And telnet(1) was used to test pretty much
>>> anything having to do with tcp.
>>
>> Was. As in, in the past.
>>
>> Yes, I used telnet a lot in the 80s and 90s, but not since.
>
> I still often use "telnet hostname 22" as a way to test whether a
> server's ssh daemon is running (and what version it is). (I use Ubuntu,
> so whatever Apple has done to deprecate telnet doesn't affect me.)

As someone else posted, the replacement command is nc

macOS has a much better tool than telnet
for testing remote server connectivity

<https://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2018/07/12/macos-has-a-much-better-tool-than-telnet-for-testing-remote-server-connectivity/>

The telnet utility has been gone since MacOS High Sierra (10.13), so
those only finding out it's missing now were either using an even older
version of MacOS recently or rarely actually use the command.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<slrnt2t1nu.ubk.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13956&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13956

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:06:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:06 UTC

In message <8735jl5vcv.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>> In message <j96qr9Fmeg6U12@mid.individual.net> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Typing "telnet" is reflex for oldsters,
>>> and proper in that context. Have a heart for those
>>> of us (tinu?) that had to exist on the pre-ssh
>>> Internet. And telnet(1) was used to test pretty much
>>> anything having to do with tcp.
>>
>> Was. As in, in the past.
>>
>> Yes, I used telnet a lot in the 80s and 90s, but not since.

> I still often use "telnet hostname 22" as a way to test whether a
> server's ssh daemon is running (and what version it is).

Why?

openssl s_client -connec hostname:22

gives much more useful information:

SSL-Session:
Protocol : TLSv1.2
Cipher : 0000
Session-ID:
Session-ID-ctx:
Master-Key:
Start Time: 1647216246
Timeout : 7200 (sec)
Verify return code: 0 (ok)

--
W is for WINNIE embedded in ice
X is for XERXES devoured by mice

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<87sfrl4az1.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13957&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13957

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:46:42 -0700
sha1:dJfM0ysaEc+WlRNui5hiVRAycTQ=
 by: Keith Thompson - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:46 UTC

Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <8735jl5vcv.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>>> In message <j96qr9Fmeg6U12@mid.individual.net> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Was. As in, in the past.
>>>
>>> Yes, I used telnet a lot in the 80s and 90s, but not since.
>
>> I still often use "telnet hostname 22" as a way to test whether a
>> server's ssh daemon is running (and what version it is).
>
> Why?
>
> openssl s_client -connec hostname:22

You mean "-connect".

> gives much more useful information:
>
> SSL-Session:
> Protocol : TLSv1.2
> Cipher : 0000
> Session-ID:
> Session-ID-ctx:
> Master-Key:
> Start Time: 1647216246
> Timeout : 7200 (sec)
> Verify return code: 0 (ok)

I use "telnet" because the command is easy to remember and it gives me
the information I'm interested in:

$ telnet [hostname deleted] 22
Trying [ip address deleted]...
Connected to [hostname deleted].
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10+deb10u2
^]
telnet> Connection closed.
$

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0m83g$18rr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13958&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13958

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 15:08:48 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:08 UTC

On 2022-03-14 00:46:42 +0000, Keith Thompson said:

> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>> In message <8735jl5vcv.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson
>> <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>>> I still often use "telnet hostname 22" as a way to test whether a
>>> server's ssh daemon is running (and what version it is).
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> openssl s_client -connec hostname:22
>
> You mean "-connect".
>
>> gives much more useful information:
>>
>> SSL-Session:
>> Protocol : TLSv1.2
>> Cipher : 0000
>> Session-ID:
>> Session-ID-ctx:
>> Master-Key:
>> Start Time: 1647216246
>> Timeout : 7200 (sec)
>> Verify return code: 0 (ok)
>
> I use "telnet" because the command is easy to remember and it gives me
> the information I'm interested in:
>
> $ telnet [hostname deleted] 22
> Trying [ip address deleted]...
> Connected to [hostname deleted].
> Escape character is '^]'.
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10+deb10u2
> ^]
> telnet> Connection closed.
> $

There are a few options for installing telnet yourself.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<sm0a6dsilkn.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13969&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13969

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:46:16 +0200
sha1:AYuN07VZYAGACVaqL0EeQxwCk2E=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 15:46 UTC

Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've come to realise MacOS has been Googlised. It's all AI which
> decides it knows what I want to do instead of letting me do what
> I want. Odd but it often decides I want to give Apple money.

Funny. I had a Powerbook in 2006 and felt the same. Well, not the AI
stuff, rather about the PTBs (or PHBs?) who at least used to decide
these things.

Anyways,, you were in Apple's target market until you weren't. I wasn't
even back in 2006. Although I dug out the Powerbook recently to digitize
some vinyls as I also have an old Firewire sound card and the 2006
Powerbook works fine for running old Audacity from 2014.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0ns2d$pbq$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13970&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13970

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:54:40 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:54 UTC

On 3/13/22 14:18, vallor wrote:
> telnet is deprecated.

except when it is not

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0nteu$k43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13971&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13971

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:19:25 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:19 UTC

On 2022-03-14 9:54 a.m., Popping Mad wrote:
> On 3/13/22 14:18, vallor wrote:
>> telnet is deprecated.
>
> except when it is not

Say something more meaningful than that, huh?

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<j99rpoFc9coU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13972&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13972

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:52:54 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:52 UTC

If one has been touch typing

telnet host.slt.TLD 22
telnet host.slt.TLD 25
telnet host.slt.TLD 587
telnet host.slt.TLD 80

for several decades, even

nc host.slt.TLD 22

does not come easy, let alone

openssl s_client -connect host.slt.TLD :22

The deprecation is satisfied by blocking port 23 (at least incoming)
on the firewall.

el
--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

On 2022-03-14 19:19 , Alan wrote:
> On 2022-03-14 9:54 a.m., Popping Mad wrote:
>> On 3/13/22 14:18, vallor wrote:
>>> telnet is deprecated.
>>
>> except when it is not
>>

> Say something more meaningful than that, huh?

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0q4gh$9lt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13973&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13973

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:32:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:32 UTC

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:19:25 -0700
Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>On 2022-03-14 9:54 a.m., Popping Mad wrote:
>> On 3/13/22 14:18, vallor wrote:
>>> telnet is deprecated.
>>
>> except when it is not
>>

>Say something more meaningful than that, huh?

If you don't know why telnet is an extremely useful network debugging tool
there's little point trying to explain it to you.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<Pn1YJ.195046$oF2.132309@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13974&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13974

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:27:59 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:27 UTC

Muttley@dastardlyhq.com writes:
>On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:19:25 -0700
>Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> except when it is not
>>>

>>Say something more meaningful than that, huh?
>
>If you don't know why telnet is an extremely useful network debugging tool
>there's little point trying to explain it to you.

I'd point out that nc (nee netcat) has been a useful network debugging
tool for a quarter of a century. telnet (as a protocol) is, as I am sure
you are aware, quite insecure. Unix telnet also open source, so one could
quite simply compile it on MacOS if one really requires it and nc
isn't sufficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat#Ports_and_reimplementations

nc is "new telnet" (Was: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.)

<t0qb8h$1lpkf$3@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13975&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13975

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: nc is "new telnet" (Was: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:27:13 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:27 UTC

In article <Pn1YJ.195046$oF2.132309@fx10.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>I'd point out that nc (nee netcat) has been a useful network debugging
>tool for a quarter of a century. telnet (as a protocol) is, as I am sure
>you are aware, quite insecure. Unix telnet also open source, so one could
>quite simply compile it on MacOS if one really requires it and nc
>isn't sufficient.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat#Ports_and_reimplementations

I totally agree with this post. Incidentally, for Keith's benefit, here is
the netcat equivalent of his telnet command:

netcat -w1 localhost 22

Anyway, just to add one comment about nc/netcat, and that is that the one
bad thing about it is that there are 70 million subtly incompatible
versions of it floating around.

--
Q: How much do dead batteries cost?

A: Nothing. They are free of charge.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<t0qfhq$it0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13976&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13976

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:40:25 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 16:40 UTC

On 2022-03-15 6:32 a.m., Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:19:25 -0700
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> except when it is not
>>>

>> Say something more meaningful than that, huh?
>
> If you don't know why telnet is an extremely useful network debugging tool
> there's little point trying to explain it to you.

Telnet HAS been deprecated in MacOS

If you don't know what deprecated means, I can't help you.

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<j9c3m2Fpf1sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13977&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13977

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (TimS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.unix.programmer
Date: 15 Mar 2022 18:19:46 GMT
 by: TimS - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:19 UTC

On 15 Mar 2022 at 14:27:59 GMT, Scott Lurndal <Scott Lurndal> wrote:

> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com writes:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:19:25 -0700
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Say something more meaningful than that, huh?
>>
>> If you don't know why telnet is an extremely useful network debugging tool
>> there's little point trying to explain it to you.
>
> I'd point out that nc (nee netcat) has been a useful network debugging
> tool for a quarter of a century. telnet (as a protocol) is, as I am sure
> you are aware, quite insecure. Unix telnet also open source, so one could
> quite simply compile it on MacOS if one really requires it and nc
> isn't sufficient.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat#Ports_and_reimplementations

telnet still here under macOS Mojave.

--
Tim

Re: argh macs are becoming penny extractors.

<slrnt31n29.74d.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13978&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13978

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:34:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:34 UTC

In message <t0q4gh$9lt$1@gioia.aioe.org> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:19:25 -0700
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> except when it is not
>>>

>>Say something more meaningful than that, huh?

> If you don't know why telnet is an extremely useful network debugging tool
> there's little point trying to explain it to you.

Telnet had its day. There;s no reason to use it now and very good
reasons not to use it.

I closed the telnet port on all my servers in 1998 when I got ssh setup
for the first time.

--
Commander: "Seems odd you'd name your ship after a battle you were on the wrong
side of."