From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: premium phone depreciation
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 16:04:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:04 UTC

sms wrote:

> There's a reason for that. The iPhone 13 Pro and the iPhone 13 Pro Max
> are highly sought after and are in very short supply. Apple has no new
> ones for sale. Some carriers still have some left over, but some are
> sold out.

Are there any _adults_ with a working brain on this newsgroup, or not?

C'mon... I only skimmed the article because everything it said was
ridiculous from the start, but AFAIK, they didn't even look at the iPhone
13's, so there's nothing in that article that lends credence to that.

They cherry picked three extremely non-price-sensitive phone lines:
1. S23 lineup
2. Pixel 7 lineup
3. iPhone 14 linup

To talk about "resale prices" on those 3 phones is patently ridiculous.
Particularly for the first two months of their existence.

Especially when a MSRP is a made-up number on a brand new phone line.

Besides, this is their data for those cherry-picked three phone lines...
<https://9to5mac.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2023/04/iphone-14-depreciation-vs-galaxy-and-pixel-2.jpg>

Given their factual data, all it "could" possibly conclude was that three
cherry-picked brand new thousand-dollar phone lines, which, obviously,
aren't price sensitive in the first place, and whose MSRP is picked by
Marketing, end up with a sales price inflection curve that is steeply
linear at the first month, & far less steeply linear in the second.
https://9to5mac.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2023/04/iphone-14-depreciation-vs-galaxy-and-pixel.jpg>

Not surprisingly, the curves were extremely similar along all three lines.
But it's essentially meaningless in terms of "resale value" for God's sake.

What is wrong with you people?
Doesn't anyone on this newsgroup own a brain?