"You can't get very far in this world without your dossier being there first." -- Arthur Miller

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

SubjectAuthor
* clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhRayLopez99
+* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhRayLopez99
|`- Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhPaul
`* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhPaul
 `* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhRayLopez99
  `* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhPaul
   `* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhRayLopez99
    `* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhRayLopez99
     `* Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhPaul
      `- Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duhRayLopez99

1
clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<39b569a0-0f9a-41fd-bb4c-ea5fd974cc35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1394&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1394

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:56 UTC

I don't do PCs as much as some of you (tho I have built many a system back in the days, even connecting together lines in a ribbon cable once that had broke) but while upgrading a C: drive in Windows 10 to a bigger size, I completely forgot you are supposed to clone not image the original drive. Consequently I wasted 3-5 hours. Now I'm doing it right. I saw the hint while searching for "clone vs image'.

I like the tools that AOMEI has, I might even pay for them. Tried using CMD and diskpart to zero out the larger drive (since it had unneeded 'image files' on it) but could not figure out the commands.

I will use Macrium to 'clone' the original drive to the larger drive once I zero out the larger drive...happening as I type this.

Or I might use AOMEI to clone. I don't like Macrum since they decided not to support their freeware after this year. AOMEI made no such decision.

Starbucks Flying what you say? Paul?

Such a rookie mistake but if you don't do this every few months you forget. Not like riding a bike or even programming (I'm learning Rust language now, talk about a challenging language).

Bye

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<63ddbe00-e5f7-4cc7-b440-1d6c5295ec24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1395&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1395

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 11:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:38 UTC

On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 1:56:54 PM UTC-4, RayLopez99 wrote:
> I don't do PCs as much as some of you (tho I have built many a system back in the days, even connecting together lines in a ribbon cable once that had broke) but while upgrading a C: drive in Windows 10 to a bigger size, I completely forgot you are supposed to clone not image the original drive. Consequently I wasted 3-5 hours. Now I'm doing it right. I saw the hint while searching for "clone vs image'.
>
> I like the tools that AOMEI has, I might even pay for them. Tried using CMD and diskpart to zero out the larger drive (since it had unneeded 'image files' on it) but could not figure out the commands.
>
> I will use Macrium to 'clone' the original drive to the larger drive once I zero out the larger drive...happening as I type this.
>
> Or I might use AOMEI to clone. I don't like Macrum since they decided not to support their freeware after this year. AOMEI made no such decision.
>
> Starbucks Flying what you say? Paul?
>
> Such a rookie mistake but if you don't do this every few months you forget. Not like riding a bike or even programming (I'm learning Rust language now, talk about a challenging language).
>
> Bye

Turns out AOMEI wants money to clone so I will stick with the for now Macrum Reflect free edition to do the cloan.

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<u7d048$1355t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1396&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1396

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:31:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 21:31 UTC

On 6/26/2023 2:38 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 1:56:54 PM UTC-4, RayLopez99 wrote:
>> I don't do PCs as much as some of you (tho I have built many a system back in the days, even connecting together lines in a ribbon cable once that had broke) but while upgrading a C: drive in Windows 10 to a bigger size, I completely forgot you are supposed to clone not image the original drive. Consequently I wasted 3-5 hours. Now I'm doing it right. I saw the hint while searching for "clone vs image'.
>>
>> I like the tools that AOMEI has, I might even pay for them. Tried using CMD and diskpart to zero out the larger drive (since it had unneeded 'image files' on it) but could not figure out the commands.
>>
>> I will use Macrium to 'clone' the original drive to the larger drive once I zero out the larger drive...happening as I type this.
>>
>> Or I might use AOMEI to clone. I don't like Macrum since they decided not to support their freeware after this year. AOMEI made no such decision.
>>
>> Starbucks Flying what you say? Paul?
>>
>> Such a rookie mistake but if you don't do this every few months you forget. Not like riding a bike or even programming (I'm learning Rust language now, talk about a challenging language).
>>
>> Bye
>
> Turns out AOMEI wants money to clone so I will stick with the for now Macrum Reflect free edition to do the cloan.

administrator command prompt

diskpart
list disk <=== compare the numbering to Disk Management
select disk 1 <=== assumes disk 0 is the boot drive, disk 1 is the device needing a cleaning
clean <=== this removes MBR and GPT structures, "logically clean"
<=== the "clean all" command is "physically clean", similar to dd coverage with /dev/zero
A "clean all" might take five hours, if you know what I mean.
exit

When you use Macrium Clone, it is a "smart clone" and only transfers
just the sectors needed for the disk to work. Any sectors not part
of disk operation, are not transferred, saving time.

The more "foreign" a partition type is, the "dumber the transfer".

NTFS - smart transfer
FAT32 - smart transfer
EXT4 - smart transfer (if partition has 20GB data, about 30GB of writes occur, rough guess)
BTRFS - dumb transfer (unrecognized, so every sector in the partition space is transferred)

Even with all the attention to detail, sometimes it still won't boot later.

The Macrium CD has a Boot Repair. Only the cloned disk should be in
the machine when you try to Boot Repair it. This is to avoid confusing
the software, by having multiple hard drives present.

If, instead of cloning the entire disk, you "drag and drop" partitions from
one disk to another, in clone mode, that's a time when the Boot will be
broken and the Boot Repair will be needed. If you clone the entire drive,
or most of it (untick a data partition perhaps), then it will probably boot
OK by itself.

Paul

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<u7e763$1blfi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1398&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1398

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:38:25 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:38 UTC

On 6/27/2023 12:17 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> This is an interesting thread it goes very deep into windows build-in cloning:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/1556845/cloning-a-512-bytes-per-sector-hdd-to-a-4096-bytes-per-sector-ssd
>
> Some of these commands appear in a tutorial somewhere how to resize windows 11 partitions... when the simple disk management gui can't do it.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck

I do not recommend buying 4Kn AF drives.

They are not normally sold at retail.

Drive types:

512n 512 bytes per sector physical 512 bytes per sector logical (as seen from an OS) <=== Good for WinXP
512e 4096 bytes per sector physical 512 bytes per sector logical (as seen from an OS) <=== vast majority of PC drives
4Kn AF 4096 bytes per sector physical 4096 bytes per sector logical (as seen from an OS)

For the 512e drive, the DRAM chip on the hard drive controller board, works
the magic of doing read-modify-write of 512 byte quantities into 4096 byte sectors.
One of the reasons Vista+ uses 1048576 byte alignment, is so clusters are
aligned with 4096 byte sectors inside the 512e drive, and the DRAM cache
does not have to work so hard. Loading WinXP on a 512e drive, is particularly
nasty, because of the mis-alignment. A modern OS plus a 512e drive, works
"just fine" and is stress free for the hardware.

Win10 and Win11 support 512 logical and 4096 logical (an actual 4Kn AF drive),
but support for the latter option was not present in the original version
of Windows 10.

The reason I do not recommend 4Kn AF drives, is the lack of tools to work
with them. It would cause nothing other than "hair loss", to be
constantly fighting with a 4Kn drive.

https://techmikeny.com/blogs/techtalk/compatibility-pain-points-4kn-hard-drives-and-backwards-compatibility-with-raid-controllers

As PC users, with our SATA and NVMe drives, we have plenty of drives to choose from.

This command, doesn't give the Sector and Physical Sector

wmic diskdrive

Whereas, this command does.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch002288.htm

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

Bytes Per Sector : 512 \___ Boot SSD has pages/blocks rather than sectors. 512 is bogus in a sense.
Bytes Per Physical Sector : 512 / (WinXP does not align with pages, on an SSD)
Bytes Per Cluster : 4096 (4 KB)
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment : 1024

Whereas a 512e hard drive should be like this.

Bytes Per Sector : 512 \___ 512e hard drive
Bytes Per Physical Sector : 4096 /
Bytes Per Cluster : 4096 (4 KB)
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment : 1024

And a 4Kn AF hard drive (don't own one) should be like this.

Bytes Per Sector : 4096 \___ 4Kn hard drive
Bytes Per Physical Sector : 4096 /
Bytes Per Cluster : 4096 (4 KB)
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment : 1024

As for "how do I do cloning", I use methods that have proven in
the past to work.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/docs/whitepaper/whitepaper_ssd.pdf

"SSD... page... usually 4 KB in size.
128 pages are mostly combined into... a block contains 512 KB."

But I suspect newer drives use different numbers.
Modern SSDs are at least 16 KB for a page. The larger
the page, the more write amplification (as there is
a need for more logical-read-modify-write behavior).
The flash in an SSD, is poorly suited to making storage
devices :-) The write amplification and flash wear,
is the proof of that. Great, eh?

The Intel Optane drives (the plant has been closed),
those have a granularity better suited to storage.
But if a single drive costs $3000 and consumes 15W+
of power, hardly anyone is interested.

Paul

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<8740ff2d-aa41-4428-987c-09d1e9baca03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1400&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1400

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 13:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:50 UTC

On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 4:38:30 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

Thanks Paul and Starbucks.

I did manage to clone 'easily' using Macrium Reflect. Since they are no longer free next year, I'll switch to "Hasleo" which is free.

One interesting bit using Macrium is that my Dell Latitude laptop (with locked BIOS) is like my Core2Duo from also 10-15 years ago, both of them (for different reasons, locked BIOS and simply an old system) don't boot from USB but require a DVD with bootable Windows 10. Luckily, a few years ago I managed to burn a Win10 DVD that fits on a standard DVD (Win11 as of 2023 no longer will fit on a standard size DVD, though one workaround is to buy a "dual sides" DVD reader/writer for about $150 on eBay) and using this DVD I am able to reload Windows if I need to do a "restore".

In the case of the Win10 "clone" I did this using Macrium which btw created a unnamed 150 MB or so "System Reserved" drive, which I had to hide afterwards (I could have deleted it also but too much bother for such a small drive partition). Perhaps the system reserved happened when I mistakenly tried to "restore" rather than "clone", I don't know.

But it ended up fine, now I have a Samsung EDO 1TB SSD drive to replace the old 250 GB SSD by Netac, which ran fine despite being a no-name drive.

I might play around with "Clonezilla" which is open source but again the problem is I can't boot from USB and would need to create a CD/DVD Rom. I might do this later if I have time. One problem I had backing up using CloneZilla when I used it on another system is the problem Paul/Starbucks alluded to, and that is it's very very easy to confuse target and source unless you are very carefully watching what you are doing. Extremely easy to mix up the two, so I was always on pins and needles when using Clonezilla. But it's good to have bells and whistles so after using Hasleo to backup I might once in a while use Clonezilla once I set it up (if I can set it up) on a DVD/CD.

I appreciate your help.

RL

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<u7qabc$321os$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1401&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1401

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 18:46:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 22:46 UTC

On 7/1/2023 4:50 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 4:38:30 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
>
> Thanks Paul and Starbucks.
>
> I did manage to clone 'easily' using Macrium Reflect. Since they are no longer free next year, I'll switch to "Hasleo" which is free.
>
> One interesting bit using Macrium is that my Dell Latitude laptop (with locked BIOS) is like my Core2Duo from also 10-15 years ago, both of them (for different reasons, locked BIOS and simply an old system) don't boot from USB but require a DVD with bootable Windows 10. Luckily, a few years ago I managed to burn a Win10 DVD that fits on a standard DVD (Win11 as of 2023 no longer will fit on a standard size DVD, though one workaround is to buy a "dual sides" DVD reader/writer for about $150 on eBay) and using this DVD I am able to reload Windows if I need to do a "restore".
>
> In the case of the Win10 "clone" I did this using Macrium which btw created a unnamed 150 MB or so "System Reserved" drive, which I had to hide afterwards (I could have deleted it also but too much bother for such a small drive partition). Perhaps the system reserved happened when I mistakenly tried to "restore" rather than "clone", I don't know.
>
> But it ended up fine, now I have a Samsung EDO 1TB SSD drive to replace the old 250 GB SSD by Netac, which ran fine despite being a no-name drive.
>
> I might play around with "Clonezilla" which is open source but again the problem is I can't boot from USB and would need to create a CD/DVD Rom. I might do this later if I have time. One problem I had backing up using CloneZilla when I used it on another system is the problem Paul/Starbucks alluded to, and that is it's very very easy to confuse target and source unless you are very carefully watching what you are doing. Extremely easy to mix up the two, so I was always on pins and needles when using Clonezilla. But it's good to have bells and whistles so after using Hasleo to backup I might once in a while use Clonezilla once I set it up (if I can set it up) on a DVD/CD.
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> RL

There are two kinds of DVDs Microsoft gives out.

The first one, the user sees no mention of "MediaCreationTool". If
you visit the W11 download page using Linux or WinXP, Microsoft knows you
don't have the .net version needed by MediaCreationTool.exe . Instead,
they give you a direct link to an ISO file, and the direct link is
valid for 24 hours. After that, the temp file is removed from the server
at that link address. This OS DVD has 11 different OS versions on it,
including the Education version. This is the "fat one" you got.

Name: Win11_English_x64v1.iso
Size: 5,565,052,928 bytes (5307 MiB)
SHA256: 4BC6C7E7C61AF4B5D1B086C5D279947357CFF45C2F82021BB58628C2503EB64E

When you visit the download page from W7/W8/W81/W10/W11 and try to get
the file, instead you are given "MediaCreationTool.exe". That is a stub
downloader, and it downloads a *different* file! This one has 7 different
OS versions on it, and Education is not included. Notice this one is
small enough, to fit on a single-sided DVD.

Name: Win11_English_x64_June2022.iso
Size: 4,537,712,640 bytes (4327 MiB)
SHA256: 125462DA92434E68B929ABD7650C5E4C2AB2081A0B0A75BEE38428B663705D3E

When you use MediaCreationTool, one of the options is to "install W11
on the current machine". You don't want that option. It will ask
"Do you want to make media for another computer?". That's the option
you want. You can store the ISO you get for later, and then use Imgburn
to make a DVD if you want.

Using 7ZIP, I can burrow into the ISO and look at the layout.
This picture shows the "fat" and "slim" DVDs and why they differ.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/qMX3qv07/comparison-two-W11-DVD-types.gif

Don't ask why Microsoft does it this way -- it's just Microsoft thinking.

I could test-download the "slim" one right now, but that would take
a while on my "broadband" Internetz :-)

Paul

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<0face8ed-6e19-4f9b-a8ef-a3694fec040cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1402&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1402

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:47:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:47 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 6:46:07 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
> On 7/1/2023 4:50 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 4:38:30 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Paul and Starbucks.
> >
> > I did manage to clone 'easily' using Macrium Reflect. Since they are no longer free next year, I'll switch to "Hasleo" which is free.
> >
> > One interesting bit using Macrium is that my Dell Latitude laptop (with locked BIOS) is like my Core2Duo from also 10-15 years ago, both of them (for different reasons, locked BIOS and simply an old system) don't boot from USB but require a DVD with bootable Windows 10. Luckily, a few years ago I managed to burn a Win10 DVD that fits on a standard DVD (Win11 as of 2023 no longer will fit on a standard size DVD, though one workaround is to buy a "dual sides" DVD reader/writer for about $150 on eBay) and using this DVD I am able to reload Windows if I need to do a "restore".
> >

> > RL
> >
> There are two kinds of DVDs Microsoft gives out.
>
> The first one, the user sees no mention of "MediaCreationTool". If
> you visit the W11 download page using Linux or WinXP, Microsoft knows you
> don't have the .net version needed by MediaCreationTool.exe . Instead,
> they give you a direct link to an ISO file, and the direct link is
> valid for 24 hours. After that, the temp file is removed from the server
> at that link address. This OS DVD has 11 different OS versions on it,
> including the Education version. This is the "fat one" you got.
>
> Name: Win11_English_x64v1.iso
> Size: 5,565,052,928 bytes (5307 MiB)
> SHA256: 4BC6C7E7C61AF4B5D1B086C5D279947357CFF45C2F82021BB58628C2503EB64E
>
> When you visit the download page from W7/W8/W81/W10/W11 and try to get
> the file, instead you are given "MediaCreationTool.exe". That is a stub
> downloader, and it downloads a *different* file! This one has 7 different
> OS versions on it, and Education is not included. Notice this one is
> small enough, to fit on a single-sided DVD.
>
> Name: Win11_English_x64_June2022.iso
> Size: 4,537,712,640 bytes (4327 MiB)
> SHA256: 125462DA92434E68B929ABD7650C5E4C2AB2081A0B0A75BEE38428B663705D3E
>
> When you use MediaCreationTool, one of the options is to "install W11
> on the current machine". You don't want that option. It will ask
> "Do you want to make media for another computer?". That's the option
> you want. You can store the ISO you get for later, and then use Imgburn
> to make a DVD if you want.

I think I did get the 4.7 GB version (4.47 GB (4,810,539,008 bytes)) downloaded from MSFT as you describe. But I think (without checking) that it did not fit on my DVD?!

I'm wondering if it's possible to have an old DVD that somehow won't fit 4.7GB of data but rather will fit like 4.4GB (from memory I thought that's what the DVD has on it)?

I'd have to run downstairs and check, by firing up the old Core2Duo PC (which has a DVD reader, whereas this laptop has one but it's a chore to swap it out with the second hard drive, you have to open a bay).

But off the top of your head if you have seen an "old" DVD disc that only accepts around 4.4 GB or so rather than the theoretical maximum of 4.7 GB that would explain why I cannot get the above 4.7 GB Win10 to fit on my DVD. (back in the day they had distinctions about DVDs like DVD-ROM and somesuch that are not lost in the mists of time)

RL

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<69bcbfac-6c25-46ee-8af0-1700f9046241n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1403&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1403

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:55:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:55 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 11:47:45 PM UTC-4, RayLopez99 wrote:

> I think I did get the 4.7 GB version (4.47 GB (4,810,539,008 bytes)) downloaded from MSFT as you describe. But I think (without checking) that it did not fit on my DVD?!
>
> RL

BTW that's not a typo: "Properties" shows both "size" and "size on disk" as shown above: 4.47 GB (4,810,539,008 bytes))

So it's 4.81 GB (masquerading as a 4.47 GB file) which will not fit on a standard DVD (limited to 4.7 GB). That is using the .ISO provided by the "Media Creation Tool" for x64 Windows 10.

So I was right (memory is still good), it was 4.47 GB but in fact (due to I guess NTFS somesuch format conventions for memory chunks or what not) 4.81 GB in size, which is greater than the limit of 4.7 GB of a standard DVD.

I might again try to see if I get the same size downloaded, but I don't think I will, since I just checked the September 2020 Windows 10 ISO (which I have on my hard drive) and find it's exactly: 4,133,824 KB in size, well below the 4.7 GB limit.

To reiterate, I think after at least September 2020, MSFT has Windows 10 ISOs that don't fit on a standard 4.7 GB DVD.

RL

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<u7r69b$38g8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1404&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1404

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 02:42:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 06:42 UTC

On 7/1/2023 11:55 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 11:47:45 PM UTC-4, RayLopez99 wrote:
>>>
>> I think I did get the 4.7 GB version (4.47 GB (4,810,539,008 bytes)) downloaded from MSFT as you describe. But I think (without checking) that it did not fit on my DVD?!
>>

>> RL
>
> BTW that's not a typo: "Properties" shows both "size" and "size on disk" as shown above: 4.47 GB (4,810,539,008 bytes))
>
> So it's 4.81 GB (masquerading as a 4.47 GB file) which will not fit on a standard DVD (limited to 4.7 GB). That is using the .ISO provided by the "Media Creation Tool" for x64 Windows 10.
>
> So I was right (memory is still good), it was 4.47 GB but in fact (due to I guess NTFS somesuch format conventions for memory chunks or what not) 4.81 GB in size, which is greater than the limit of 4.7 GB of a standard DVD.
>
> I might again try to see if I get the same size downloaded, but I don't think I will, since I just checked the September 2020 Windows 10 ISO (which I have on my hard drive) and find it's exactly: 4,133,824 KB in size, well below the 4.7 GB limit.
>
> To reiterate, I think after at least September 2020, MSFT has Windows 10 ISOs that don't fit on a standard 4.7 GB DVD.
>
> RL

Working on it.

*******

OK, I actually tested before I got your two messages, you're right and I was wrong.

It's now too big.

I guess I really do have to keep downloading these damn things.

Name: Windows.iso
Size: 4,801,691,648 bytes (4579 MiB)
SHA256: 7F1C44908A864C55F614C8D68796C63F50818992C10E130B10424250D38CA7A5

( https://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/dvd-size-capacity.htm )

Type Sectors Bytes kB MB GB
DVD-R SL 2,298,496 4,707,319,808 4,707,320 4,707 4.7 <=== won't fit on this
DVD+R SL 2,295,104 4,700,372,992 4,700,373 4,700 4.7

This can be fixed by remastering. Really only two of seven images are worth keeping.
Index 1 and Index 6. Remastering depends on compression for results.

<VERSION>
<MAJOR>10</MAJOR>
<MINOR>0</MINOR>
<BUILD>22621</BUILD>
<SPBUILD>1702</SPBUILD>

<WIM>
<IMAGE INDEX="1">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Home</DISPLAYNAME>
<IMAGE INDEX="2">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Home N</DISPLAYNAME>
<IMAGE INDEX="3">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Home Single Language</DISPLAYNAME>
<IMAGE INDEX="4">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Education</DISPLAYNAME>
<IMAGE INDEX="5">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Education N</DISPLAYNAME>
<IMAGE INDEX="6">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Pro</DISPLAYNAME>
<IMAGE INDEX="7">
<DISPLAYNAME>Windows 11 Pro N</DISPLAYNAME>
</WIM>

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/133098-dism-create-bootable-iso-multiple-windows-10-images.html
https://oofhours.com/2021/08/04/make-windows-images-smaller-easily/

Using 7ZIP, I extracted the install.esd out of the ISO file. I renamed
this to installorig.esd to avoid confusion. Here, I copy index 1 and index 6
and pick terse names for the installer menu entries.

Administrator:

dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:D:\installorig.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:D:\install.esd
/DestinationName:"W11Home64" /compress:recovery

dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:D:\installorig.esd /SourceIndex:6 /DestinationImageFile:D:\install.esd
/DestinationName:"W11Pro64" /compress:recovery

I had to switch from "max" to "recovery" to get enough compression. "Recovery" compression seems to be
the same format as was used on the original ESD.

installorig.esd 4,056,557,808 bytes
install.esd 3,907,625,876 bytes <=== it almost looks like is copies the solid block over...
We may have saved enough this way. Just barely.

I create an empty directory D:\DVD and using 7ZIP, unpack the entire ISO into D:\DVD .
I navigate to Sources folder, delete the install.esd (== installorig.esd) that came in the ISO, and
put my home-made install.esd in its place. Now, the D:\DVD folder represents
the contents of my new ISO I want to make.

Macrium has an "oscdimg.exe" in its kits collection (if
you made a Macrium WinPE rescue disc). Macrium can use a WinRE.wim extracted from
your hard drive, if you allow it to use its default method. If you instead select
the custom method, of using a WADK kit, it downloads some stuff, including "oscdimg.exe".
Or, you can just download a WADK kit yourself (which may take a while).

Kari has a recipe for oscdimg that I used.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/create-custom-windows-11-iso-file.443/

oscdimg.exe -m -o -u2 -udfver102
-bootdata:2#p0,e,bd:\dvd\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bd:\dvd\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin
d:\dvd d:\new.iso

This is what that looks like, copied out of the administrator Command Prompt window.

D:\>oscdimg.exe -m -o -u2 -udfver102 -bootdata:2#p0,e,bd:\dvd\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bd:\dvd\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin d:\dvd d:\new.iso

OSCDIMG 2.56 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2012. All rights reserved.
Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

Scanning source tree (500 files in 43 directories)
Scanning source tree complete (947 files in 86 directories)

Computing directory information complete

Image file is 4650270720 bytes (before optimization)

Writing 947 files in 86 directories to d:\new.iso

100% complete

Storage optimization saved 4 files, 24576 bytes (0% of image)

After optimization, image file is 4652345344 bytes
Space saved because of embedding, sparseness or optimization = 24576

Done.

Name: new.iso
Size: 4,652,345,344 bytes (4436 MiB)
SHA256: 8C86473F4F6612A2A5F55BE8451A1279C206D85FDE2882AD5BA439F97669D07B

That's a little bit less than the DVD limit :-)
Even remastering is getting damn close to not good enough.

*******

Now, I have to test it.

I'll have to switch boot OSes and set up a VM for it.

Works fine.

Needs lots of cores to unpack the contents.
I ran the VM on two cores, and it was slug slow. Stopped
the machine, and kicked it off again with a few more cores,
and it was fine as far as these slug-slow installers go.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/cC1jmt8J/w11testinstall-04.gif

I used T [Todds] recipe of using

account: a@a.a
password: a

to get around having to enter an MSA. It would not
have mattered, the entry of an MSA, just the nuisance of
me finding the piece of paper with the details on it.

Paul

Re: clone not image when you upgrade to a larger drive...duh

<a7528064-3f5b-4ac7-b197-ddeb6e912766n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1405&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1405

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 12:36:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 19:36 UTC

On Sunday, July 2, 2023 at 2:42:54 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

> to get around having to enter an MSA. It would not
> have mattered, the entry of an MSA, just the nuisance of
> me finding the piece of paper with the details on it.
>
> Paul
thanks I saved this post...in case I lose my 4.4 GB Windows 10 year 2020 .ISO