Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / Google groups spam

SubjectAuthor
* Google groups spamMarco Moock
+* Google groups spamThe Doctor
|`* Google groups spamMarco Moock
| +* Google groups spamThe Doctor
| |`- Google groups spamTony Stewart
| `- Google groups spamBlueshirt
+- Google groups spamFrank Slootweg
`* Google groups spamSpiros Bousbouras
 `* Google groups spamAdam H. Kerman
  `- Google groups spamThe Doctor

1
Google groups spam

<thkft4$2tkbt$15@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1403&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1403

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Google groups spam
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:46:12 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:46 UTC

Hello,

is there any way to report spamming users to Google so they block them
or is Google just a nasty company that supports sending spam?
Is there a relevant amount of legit posts from Google Groups or is it
just the best idea to put all post from Google in the killfile?

--
Marco

Re: Google groups spam

<thkv0n$krr$23@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1404&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1404

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: Google groups spam
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 22:04:07 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 22:04 UTC

In article <thkft4$2tkbt$15@dont-email.me>,
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>is there any way to report spamming users to Google so they block them
>or is Google just a nasty company that supports sending spam?
>Is there a relevant amount of legit posts from Google Groups or is it
>just the best idea to put all post from Google in the killfile?

Depeer Google groups overall!

Nothing but twits and trolls in Google groups.

I have reported spammers to google, no avail.

Once you log into your google account try

https://groups.google.com/search/conversations?q=Depeer%20Google%20Groups

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
Some love phoniness so much they live and die for it. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Google groups spam

<thn6cp$3e9qv$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1405&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1405

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 20:22:17 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:22 UTC

Am 05.10.2022 um 22:04:07 Uhr schrieb The Doctor:

> Nothing but twits and trolls in Google groups.

Not all posts are rubbish that come from there, but many.

> I have reported spammers to google, no avail.

What is "avail."?
> Once you log into your google account try
>
> https://groups.google.com/search/conversations?q=Depeer%20Google%20Groups

I get no result, but I am not logged in, I don't have a Google account
anymore.

Re: Google groups spam

<thne9u.i70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1406&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1406

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: 6 Oct 2022 18:37:27 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:37 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any way to report spamming users to Google so they block them
> or is Google just a nasty company that supports sending spam?
> Is there a relevant amount of legit posts from Google Groups or is it
> just the best idea to put all post from Google in the killfile?

Your headers don't show which newsreader you're using. If it's a
somewhat decent one, I suggest to downscore Google Groups postings
or/and Gmail users and uperscore The Good Guys(TM) when you see them.

That's what I do and the result is not too bad.

Likewise with rogue newsservers, anonymous services, etc..

Re: Google groups spam

<thnag9$124n$49@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1407&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1407

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:32:25 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:32 UTC

In article <thn6cp$3e9qv$10@dont-email.me>,
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>Am 05.10.2022 um 22:04:07 Uhr schrieb The Doctor:
>
>> Nothing but twits and trolls in Google groups.
>
>Not all posts are rubbish that come from there, but many.
>
>> I have reported spammers to google, no avail.
>
>What is "avail."?

Never heard of avail?

>> Once you log into your google account try
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/search/conversations?q=Depeer%20Google%20Groups
>
>I get no result, but I am not logged in, I don't have a Google account
>anymore.

You have to have a Gogole account.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
The best way to get out of work is by doing it. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Google groups spam

<thnigb$3fbsq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1408&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1408

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 21:48:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 21:48 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 05.10.2022 um 22:04:07 Uhr schrieb The Doctor:
>
> > Nothing but twits and trolls in Google groups.
>
> Not all posts are rubbish that come from there, but many.

I would suggest a vast majority of Google Groups users use Google
Groups to spam Usenet... not all, but quite a lot of them.

> > I have reported spammers to google, no avail.
>
> What is "avail."?

To "no avail" means the same as to no effect, as in, Google do nothing
about it. (No surprise there.)

> > Once you log into your google account try

https://groups.google.com/search/conversations?q=Depeer%20Google%20Groups

> I get no result, but I am not logged in, I don't have a Google account
> anymore.

I wouldn't have a Google account if they paid me... well, unless they
paid me a lot.

Re: Google groups spam

<tk6dig$130$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1421

From: tony.sun...@gmail.com (Tony Stewart)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 15:29:20 -0400
 by: Tony Stewart - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:29 UTC

On 06/10/2022 3:32 p.m., The Doctor wrote:
> Never heard of avail?
Was that a statement or a question mark? Yes it is a common English ,
Oxford or Merriam-Webster word.
Often used as an intransitive verb or a noun.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/avail

Re: Google groups spam

<j+0JA=n9VliFrHrZ1@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1423&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1423

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:00:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:00 UTC

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:46:12 +0200
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any way to report spamming users to Google so they block them
> or is Google just a nasty company that supports sending spam?

I have seen the question , whether there is a way to get Google to block
people who spam through googlegroups , asked many times and I've never seen a
positive reply so probably no. I think googlegroups provide a way to mark a
post as something bad (spam , pornographic , etc.) but how it affects the
post I'm not sure. Whatever the effect , I think you only see it if you read
usenet through googlegroups and it only affects the post not the poster. And
you have to do the marking through the googlegroups interface. So no good for
someone who doesn't use googlegroups to begin with.

> Is there a relevant amount of legit posts from Google Groups or is it
> just the best idea to put all post from Google in the killfile?

I've seen many legitimate posts from googlegroups. On comp.lang.fortran
many good contributors post through googlegroups. In the past I've seen
Thomas Dickey (of xterm fame) post on comp.terminals through
googlegroups although that was years ago.

So if you filter all googlegroups posts , you may end up missing some good
stuff but it depends on the group. It would definitely be true on
comp.lang.fortran .So I would say it depends on which groups you read ,
whether any legitimate posts on those groups are from googlegroups and how
easy it is to filter spam. Ironically , my experience has been that spam from
googlegroups follows some simple patterns (like that person who posts in
Italian and all capitals) so it's easy to do more targeted filtering rather
than everything which comes from googlegroups. I don't regularly visit
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet .I did today and I see that the googlegroups spam
on this group is a lot more unpredictable than what I've seen in other groups
and I don't see any legitimate posts from googlegroups so for this group at
least , filtering everything from googlegroups seems by far the most convenient
option and a harmless one.

--
vlaho.ninja/prog

Re: Google groups spam

<tk8e02$35283$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1424&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1424

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 13:48:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 13:48 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:46:12 +0200 Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>>is there any way to report spamming users to Google so they block them
>>or is Google just a nasty company that supports sending spam?

>I have seen the question , whether there is a way to get Google to block
>people who spam through googlegroups , asked many times and I've never seen a
>positive reply so probably no. I think googlegroups provide a way to mark a
>post as something bad (spam , pornographic , etc.) but how it affects the
>post I'm not sure. Whatever the effect , I think you only see it if you read
>usenet through googlegroups and it only affects the post not the poster. And
>you have to do the marking through the googlegroups interface. So no good for
>someone who doesn't use googlegroups to begin with.

Seriously?

Spam isn't fought on a "mark a post" basis, and it isn't fought by
"blocking spamming users". Google Groups peers with sites that are spam
sources. A proper spam countermeasure is performed on the feed, not
individual users and not after receiving the feed. It's not like Google
Groups would act upon NoCeM's.

Anyone posting to this newsgroup should be well aware of the basics of
spam countermeasures, including the sockpuppet Marco Moock, who has
asked that question numerous times in the past.

>>. . .

Re: Google groups spam

<tk9fkh$2892$70@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1425&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#1425

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 23:22:57 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 23:22 UTC

In article <tk8e02$35283$1@dont-email.me>,
Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:46:12 +0200 Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>>>is there any way to report spamming users to Google so they block them
>>>or is Google just a nasty company that supports sending spam?
>
>>I have seen the question , whether there is a way to get Google to block
>>people who spam through googlegroups , asked many times and I've never seen a
>>positive reply so probably no. I think googlegroups provide a way to mark a
>>post as something bad (spam , pornographic , etc.) but how it affects the
>>post I'm not sure. Whatever the effect , I think you only see it if you read
>>usenet through googlegroups and it only affects the post not the poster. And
>>you have to do the marking through the googlegroups interface. So no good for
>>someone who doesn't use googlegroups to begin with.
>
>Seriously?
>
>Spam isn't fought on a "mark a post" basis, and it isn't fought by
>"blocking spamming users". Google Groups peers with sites that are spam
>sources. A proper spam countermeasure is performed on the feed, not
>individual users and not after receiving the feed. It's not like Google
>Groups would act upon NoCeM's.
>
>Anyone posting to this newsgroup should be well aware of the basics of
>spam countermeasures, including the sockpuppet Marco Moock, who has
>asked that question numerous times in the past.

I wonder if multiple complaints will do the trick?

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
Evil makes destruction necessary. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com