From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:44:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:44 UTC

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/23/ifixit-teardown-shows-that-mac-studios-internal-storage-is-replaceable-but-not-upgradable/
Mac Studio is designed to refuse any SSD size it wasn't configured with

Mac Studio doesn't recognize different combinations of SSD than the one it
was shipped with from the factory. The machine doesn't recognize any other
configuration. Even when using a single SSD with a different capacity than
the original, Mac Studio refuses to recognize it.

However, there's one thing that does work, and that is to replace the
internal SSD with another of the same capacity. In only this restricted
case, the Apple Configurator app will let you install macOS on that SSD.

Re: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with

<bv%_J.391862$mF2.296298@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14167&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14167

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:46:30 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:46 UTC

On 2022-03-24 05:44, NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/23/ifixit-teardown-shows-that-mac-studios-internal-storage-is-replaceable-but-not-upgradable/
> Mac Studio is designed to refuse any SSD size it wasn't configured with
>
> Mac Studio doesn't recognize different combinations of SSD than the one it
> was shipped with from the factory. The machine doesn't recognize any other
> configuration. Even when using a single SSD with a different capacity than
> the original, Mac Studio refuses to recognize it.
>
> However, there's one thing that does work, and that is to replace the
> internal SSD with another of the same capacity. In only this restricted
> case, the Apple Configurator app will let you install macOS on that SSD.

Somebody out there may find the secret to replacing with a larger SSD.
I hope so, in any case. By the time I order one would be best: I'd
order the lowest SSD size and upgrade in due course if I have a
guaranteed path to do so.

Unless they come out with the iMac that I'd want: iMac M1 Max.

Accountant just e-mailed me with good news too ...

--
Beginning in the 1970's, all birds in North America were replaced by
drones made to look and act like birds. By 2004, no real birds are to

Re: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with

<2022032408582036834-jerrybishop@nowherenohowcom>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14168&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14168

From: jerry.bi...@nowhere.nohow.com (Jerry Bishop)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:58:20 -0600
 by: Jerry Bishop - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:58 UTC

On 2022-03-24 14:46:30 +0000, Alan Browne said:

> On 2022-03-24 05:44, NewsKrawler wrote:
>> https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/23/ifixit-teardown-shows-that-mac-studios-internal-storage-is-replaceable-but-not-upgradable/
>>
>> Mac Studio is designed to refuse any SSD size it wasn't configured with
>>
>> Mac Studio doesn't recognize different combinations of SSD than the one it
>> was shipped with from the factory. The machine doesn't recognize any other
>> configuration. Even when using a single SSD with a different capacity than
>> the original, Mac Studio refuses to recognize it.
>>
>> However, there's one thing that does work, and that is to replace the
>> internal SSD with another of the same capacity. In only this restricted
>> case, the Apple Configurator app will let you install macOS on that SSD.
>

> Somebody out there may find the secret to replacing with a larger SSD.
> I hope so, in any case. By the time I order one would be best: I'd
> order the lowest SSD size and upgrade in due course if I have a
> guaranteed path to do so.
>
> Unless they come out with the iMac that I'd want: iMac M1 Max.
>
> Accountant just e-mailed me with good news too ...

See
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/explaining-the-mac-studios-removable-ssds-and-why-you-cant-just-swap-them-out/

From the article:
-------
PC SSDs like Samsung's 980 Pro or Western Digital's WD Blue SN570 all
include the controller and the NAND, which is what makes them easy to
replace. Each SSD is a self-contained device, usable in any PC that has
a physical SATA port or M.2 slot and that supports the SATA/NVMe
storage specs.
Apple's SSDs used to work this way, but starting with the Apple T2 chip
and continuing into the Apple Silicon era, Apple began building storage
controllers directly into its own chips instead. This means that the
Mac Studio's SSD cards, while removable instead of soldered down, are
just NAND plus what Martin calls a "raw NAND controller/bridge." They
aren't self-contained SSDs that can be swapped in and out at will, as
they can on a PC. They are NAND chips that are read from and written to
by the T2 or M1's built-in controller.
-------
So the SSDs in the Studio arent actually SSDs, they are NAND chips on
removable boards. AND when you swap them, you need to reset the
encryption key to match them up to the T2 chip and make them work (also
explained in this article).
-- Jerry

Re: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with

<rR%_J.238446$Tr18.217659@fx42.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14169&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14169

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:10:15 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:10 UTC

On 2022-03-24 10:58, Jerry Bishop wrote:

> See
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/explaining-the-mac-studios-removable-ssds-and-why-you-cant-just-swap-them-out/
>

> From the article:
> -------
> PC SSDs like Samsung's 980 Pro or Western Digital's WD Blue SN570 all
> include the controller and the NAND, which is what makes them easy to
> replace. Each SSD is a self-contained device, usable in any PC that has
> a physical SATA port or M.2 slot and that supports the SATA/NVMe storage
> specs.
> Apple's SSDs used to work this way, but starting with the Apple T2 chip
> and continuing into the Apple Silicon era, Apple began building storage
> controllers directly into its own chips instead. This means that the Mac
> Studio's SSD cards, while removable instead of soldered down, are
> just NAND plus what Martin calls a "raw NAND controller/bridge." They
> aren't self-contained SSDs that can be swapped in and out at will, as
> they can on a PC. They are NAND chips that are read from and written to
> by the T2 or M1's built-in controller.
> -------
> So the SSDs in the Studio arent actually SSDs, they are NAND chips on
> removable boards. AND when you swap them, you need to reset the
> encryption key to match them up to the T2 chip and make them work (also
> explained in this article).
> -- Jerry

Thanks. Also puts a damper on my "this will be hacked" hopes.

--
Beginning in the 1970's, all birds in North America were replaced by
drones made to look and act like birds. By 2004, no real birds are to
be found. They are all drones. They all belong to the government.
They spy on everyone. All of the time. Birds are not real.

Re: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with

<slrnt3ss8q.1ir7.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14170&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14170

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 01:49:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 01:49 UTC

In message <rR%_J.238446$Tr18.217659@fx42.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Also puts a damper on my "this will be hacked" hopes.

Actually, this is good news, since the "SSD" is really just AND, it is
definitely possible, if not probable that someone like OWC will be able to
sell replacement NANDs. The drawback is that replacing or expanding the
SSD will require a full DFU system reset

--
Comedian is thrown out of a high rise
(Watchmen)

Re: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with

<slrnt3t6r5.1pbh.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14173&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14173

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:49:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:49 UTC

In message <slrnt3ss8q.1ir7.g.kreme@zephyrus.local> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <rR%_J.238446$Tr18.217659@fx42.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> Thanks. Also puts a damper on my "this will be hacked" hopes.

> Actually, this is good news, since the "SSD" is really just AND, it is
> definitely possible, if not probable that someone like OWC will be able to
> sell replacement NANDs. The drawback is that replacing or expanding the
> SSD will require a full DFU system reset

One note I meant to add:

Superfast NAND modules that fit the Apple Studio will NOT be cheap, but
it i possible they will offer an upgrade path that Apple will not. It is
even possible (not probable, I wouldn't think, but possible) that they
could support larger NAND modules than currently exist.

--
"I really wish the US Senate wasn't hell bent on making me think that
Palpatine was on to something"

Re: Mac Studio refuses to recognize any SSD it wasn't configured with

<U9E%J.69283$4T.16691@fx24.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14174&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14174

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 09:02:44 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 13:02 UTC

On 2022-03-25 21:49, Lewis wrote:
> In message <rR%_J.238446$Tr18.217659@fx42.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> Thanks. Also puts a damper on my "this will be hacked" hopes.
>
> Actually, this is good news, since the "SSD" is really just AND, it is
> definitely possible, if not probable that someone like OWC will be able to
> sell replacement NANDs. The drawback is that replacing or expanding the
> SSD will require a full DFU system reset

Not so bad a compromise. I would likely go 5 years or so before needing
such an upgrade (if at all).