Subject: New experimental signing key for Big Eight hierarchies
From: Russ Allbery
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies, news.groups
Followup: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:07 UTC
From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies,news.groups
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:07:14 -0700
View all headers
I have finally done the work to create a new modern GnuPG signing key for
control messages for the Big Eight hierarchies and wired it into the
machinery that sends those control messages.  I have sent one experimental
checkgroups message signed with that key:

    <cmsg-20210314174844$1888@isc.org>

To test the automation, tomorrow the normal monthly checkgroups will be
issued, which should result in two control messages, one signed with the
new key and one with the old key.

I've used the same key ID for the new key as the old key so that updating
will be as simple as importing the new key.

This key is currently EXPERIMENTAL and I reserve the right to reissue the
key if anyone uncovers any problems.  If you are in a position to do so,
please try verifying the control messages with the new key and check that
the work properly.  I plan on making this new key official some time next
month and will post a more general announcement to news.announce.newgroups
and news.admin.announce at that time.

To avoid binary filters dropping this message, I haven't included the new
signing key in this post.  You can get it from:

    https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/big-8/key.asc

It is signed with my personal key and the old hierarchy control signing
key.  (The Big Eight hierarchies need a more official information page for
news administrators, I know, but one thing at a time.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)             https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/

From: Julien_ÉLIE
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 21:54 UTC
From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien_ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 22:54:51 +0100
View all headers
Hi Russ,

I have finally done the work to create a new modern GnuPG signing key for
control messages for the Big Eight hierarchies and wired it into the
machinery that sends those control messages.  I have sent one experimental
checkgroups message signed with that key:

     <cmsg-20210314174844$1888@isc.org>

Thanks for having taken the time to achieve that!

If you are in a position to do so,
please try verifying the control messages with the new key and check that
the work properly.

I confirm to have correctly verified the checkgroups with GnuPG 2.1.18.

[GNUPG:] GOODSIG FAFE7B550C18C8B7 news.announce.newgroups
[GNUPG:] VALIDSIG 8E181BEF0BE638962C1A5C98FAFE7B550C18C8B7 2021-03-14 1615744124 0 4 0 1 10 01 8E181BEF0BE638962C1A5C98FAFE7B550C18C8B7

I plan on making this new key official some time next
month and will post a more general announcement to news.announce.newgroups
and news.admin.announce at that time.

Good news!

Are there other hierarchies also willing to generate new RSA 4096-bit keys? (uk.*, de.* ... ?)
2021 will be the Year of Usenet key transitions :-)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I keep six honest serving-men
   (They taught me all I knew);
   Their names are What and Why and When
   And How and Where and Who. » (Rudyard Kipling)

From: Thomas Hochstein
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 21:26 UTC
From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:26:13 +0100
View all headers
Julien ÉLIE schrieb:

Thanks for having taken the time to achieve that!

Thanks from me, too - to both of you!

Are there other hierarchies also willing to generate new RSA 4096-bit
keys? (uk.*, de.* ... ?)

As soon as I have some spare time ... whenever that will be. :)

2021 will be the Year of Usenet key transitions :-)

2021 seems doable, yes.

-thh